State of Miami: Myth Busted

It's OT but one comically consistent thing about CIS recruiting threads pertaining to national recruiting is the geographical biases of all of us based on where we grew up or where we're currently living.

It's always funny to have guys pining for us to start focusing on kids in North Carolina or Washington State or Maryland etc. I'm not even casting aspersions here either as I personally will always look at any Pennsylvania 4 star or above to see if we even offered.
I go by regions that are producing specific talent at specific positions & based on how well we would be able to land a talented player from that region.

I never mention Georgia or Louisiana because the Georgia experiment during Richt's tenure has mainly yielded bad results (except for Deejay) & culminated with one of the worst trolls ever from Romello Height. It never gets talked about on this board but what that kid did & how he did it was the work of a pure ****** person, most on the board just swept it under the rug but how he handled his recruitment is equally as bad & in a lot of cases worse than any South Fla diva we've dealt with recently.

Georgia definitely has very good talent, but I've soured on recruiting the region due to the Holloman, Ezzard, Height & Jarren situations. Plus I just don't believe high level kids from there will really come here, I think we can get the ones SEC country doesn't want.

Louisiana is a region that's extremely tough to crack, yes we got Ed Reed & Reggie Wayne but that was 20 years ago & since then haven't really hit on any worthwhile. They're probably the most loyal kids in the nation in terms of recruiting, the majority of elite Louisiana prospects stay home to LSU & the ones that leave only go to top tier programs like Bama. We won't have a real shot at getting those kids until we win the ACC & make the playoffs.

Everybody recruits Texas, it's pretty much just like Florida, but those kids stay home a little more than FLA kids do, but every program recruits down there & gets good prospects to leave home.

Arizona is the sleeper region, they don't produce a high volume of players, but at specific positions like QB & DB they've had some really talented players over the last few classes. They are probably some of the most well coached kids on the HS level & they have a high hit rate on success.

Advertisement
Talent Evaluation is the name of the game.

There are ABSOLUTELY hidden gems out there. Alot of them start on Clemson. Alot of them are Samoan guys. Alot of them are midwest linemen. Alot of them are from rural Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama...

Miami's obsessed with going after sofla kids who have the worst character issues in the country.

Theres a reason Bill Belichek skipped the combine to stand in the rain and watch a D2 guy test.

I go by regions that are producing specific talent at specific positions & based on how well we would be able to land a talented player from that region.

I never mention Georgia or Louisiana because the Georgia experiment during Richt's tenure has mainly yielded bad results (except for Deejay) & culminated with one of the worst trolls ever from Romello Height. It never gets talked about on this board but what that kid did & how he did it was the work of a pure ****** person, most on the board just swept it under the rug but how he handled his recruitment is equally as bad & in a lot of cases worse than any South Fla diva we've dealt with recently.

Georgia definitely has very good talent, but I've soured on recruiting the region due to the Holloman, Ezzard, Height & Jarren situations. Plus I just don't believe high level kids from there will really come here, I think we can get the ones SEC country doesn't want.

Louisiana is a region that's extremely tough to crack, yes we got Ed Reed & Reggie Wayne but that was 20 years ago & since then haven't really hit on any worthwhile. They're probably the most loyal kids in the nation in terms of recruiting, the majority of elite Louisiana prospects stay home to LSU & the ones that leave only go to top tier programs like Bama. We won't have a real shot at getting those kids until we win the ACC & make the playoffs.

Everybody recruits Texas, it's pretty much just like Florida, but those kids stay home a little more than FLA kids do, but every program recruits down there & gets good prospects to leave home.

Arizona is the sleeper region, they don't produce a high volume of players, but at specific positions like QB & DB they've had some really talented players over the last few classes. They are probably some of the most well coached kids on the HS level & they have a high hit rate on success.
Thanks to Curtis Johnson...We were able to make Headways into Louisiana...Kehoe Northeast...Pagano out West...Butch and Sarge, Dade and Broward....Well put together staff...especially the ability to recruit Nationwide....

Advertisement

[/QUOTE

NEW oRLEANS IS OPEN...NOT THE WHOLE STATE. You can get kids from there if you are persistent. **** Kansas is pulling kids from there....

iF THE SEC IS GONNA BE KNEE DEEP DOWN HERE...I wanna be in their areas the same way

I, and others, have been saying this forever: internet connectivity and social media have permanently changed CFB recruiting forever and where recruits end up.

IF internet/social media existed back in his day, Schnelly would never (ok most likely) have built Miami into the power it became as quickly as he did.

Miami wastes too much time on locals never coming and piles up too many Ls to attract out-of-state 5*.

Obviously Ws come from recruit + develop + retain. If they can fix the fails above, keep around 20% of the right locals, bring in the right outsiders, maybe Ws will start trending in the right direction.

Expecting to get even 50% of Fl talent is unrealistic.
You’re falling for the banana in the tailpipe. There are maybe a few 5* kids a year in So Fla. it’s a red herring issue. We need to evaluate well, play well, and win. Kids will always want to be a star in their hometown. Especially when their hometown is a trendy media city full of Boats n hoes.

I'm 1,000% in favor of going National.

I've been saying & I'll keep saying, recruit TX & AZ heavy, then get the best kids from NV, NJ/Northeast, plus pluck a few from STL (the STL area is producing a shìt ton of good recruits from schools like East STL, Lutheran North, DeSmet & Trinity Catholic), then mix them in with some good prospects from South, Central & Northern FLA & we'll turn this thing around sooner than later.

Winning of course helps, but a lot of it is just effort, if we plant our flag & put forth the effort in some of these regions kids will come here, then if we can back it up by winning on the field it'll create a bandwagon for them to hop on.

Our biggest problem in recruiting has been selling points, we simply haven't had anything to sell, once we win on the field & put ourselves in Charlotte a few seasons in a row you'll start seeing more top 10 classes from us.
I mostly disagree with you on this one. Nothing wrong with finding a few national kids who really believe in the brand and want to come. And some positions, we need to spread out to address. But what makes anyone think we can evaluate national kids better than local ones? We know less about them, know their families and coaches less well. We will inevitably have recruited them for less time. And when our season falls apart, why do we think some kid from far away is going to stick with the program? Meanwhile, plenty of other top programs, many closer to home, will also target those kids.

I think @DMoney and I are aligned on this topic. People blame local kids for not coming. But why should they have, when our coaching and play stunk and it was so obvious the institution didn’t care? If the rationale for targeting national kids is they’re less likely to be smart about the program’s flaws, then the solution is really to fix our issues, not try harder to hoodwink kids. When we have a competent staff that puts kids in position to win, this program will be attractive to local kids and national kids. Get back to winning and we will recruit better and better over time. And when we do, all the sudden you won’t hear as much criticism of local kids around here.

Advertisement
One more observation - for nearly 20 years on these sites, there have repeatedly been situations where many message board posters knew more about what specific kids were thinking than our own coaches did. As long as we’re that clueless in recruiting, we’ll continue to mess it up.

If I am not mistaken, Clemson only had one recruit from South Carolina last year.
A bit misleading. SC is a small pool to fish in, and their recruiting is mostly regional, from no fla to DC on atlantic and over to TN and UGA.

I mostly disagree with you on this one. Nothing wrong with finding a few national kids who really believe in the brand and want to come. And some positions, we need to spread out to address. But what makes anyone think we can evaluate national kids better than local ones? We know less about them, know their families and coaches less well. We will inevitably have recruited them for less time. And when our season falls apart, why do we think some kid from far away is going to stick with the program? Meanwhile, plenty of other top programs, many closer to home, will also target those kids.

I think @DMoney and I are aligned on this topic. People blame local kids for not coming. But why should they have, when our coaching and play stunk and it was so obvious the institution didn’t care? If the rationale for targeting national kids is they’re less likely to be smart about the program’s flaws, then the solution is really to fix our issues, not try harder to hoodwink kids. When we have a competent staff that puts kids in position to win, this program will be attractive to local kids and national kids. Get back to winning and we will recruit better and better over time. And when we do, all the sudden you won’t hear as much criticism of local kids around here.
The reason for targeting more National kids is because the locals have no interest in Miami & won't until we win.

I'm not saying we need to abandon South Fla, I'm saying we need to put more effort in to recruiting areas that are more receptive to coming to Miami & will be apart of helping the rebuilding process of us becoming winners.

South Fla kids don't have time nor are they interested in helping us rebuild, they want to go to a ready made powerhouse. That's not to say OOS prospects don't want the same thing because they do, but the reality is we have a better chance of getting a good OOS kid to come here & help us win rather than a high level local kid who wants nothing more than to leave home.

The point of the article is that most of the 5-star kids are leaving home across the nation, which means everywhere except for Louisiana, the odds are a 5-star is not gonna play for his hometown team, which means we need to get in on the sweepstakes of kids leaving their home state because our 5-stars aren't coming here.

I think you're having two seperate conversations in one. NO ONE disagrees that we need to evaluate & recruit better that's the underpinning of all recruiting, but the point is, if we decide to focus all our efforts in landing mostly local prospects we'll be left looking foolish at the finish line like we have been for decades now.

Doing the same thing over & over again while expecting different results is insanity, constantly chasing after kids who want nothing to do with us & has only made us look like the laughing stock of college football on the trail. Maybe we need to switch it up.

Advertisement
You’re falling for the banana in the tailpipe. There are maybe a few 5* kids a year in So Fla. it’s a red herring issue. We need to evaluate well, play well, and win. Kids will always want to be a star in their hometown. Especially when their hometown is a trendy media city full of Boats n hoes.

It applies to all SoFL kids. Fewer and fewer with options want to stay.

That will perhaps get tested IF UCG turns back into UM with Ws.

Big IF and I suspect even a natty won't keep as much of top local talent at home as people think.

You're not understanding, and it's not a red herring issue at all. It's a catch-22 issue. Once upon a time what you are saying was in fact true, but that is no longer the case. The culture & mindset of the avg S.FLA recruit has drastically changed in the last 35+ yrs or so. When elite S.FLA players committed to Howard's initial classes in 79 & 80 MIA was actually a bigger dumpster fire than what we are even today. Kids are simply not as intrinsically motivated as they once were, and that more than anything else has had the biggest impact on the recruiting landscape over time.

Said on here multiple times. Bring in the best 25 players in America that bleed Orange and Green. Kids from S Florida are preferred but not required.

Advertisement
The reason for targeting more National kids is because the locals have no interest in Miami & won't until we win.

I'm not saying we need to abandon South Fla, I'm saying we need to put more effort in to recruiting areas that are more receptive to coming to Miami & will be apart of helping the rebuilding process of us becoming winners.

South Fla kids don't have time nor are they interested in helping us rebuild, they want to go to a ready made powerhouse. That's not to say OOS prospects don't want the same thing because they do, but the reality is we have a better chance of getting a good OOS kid to come here & help us win rather than a high level local kid who wants nothing more than to leave home.

The point of the article is that most of the 5-star kids are leaving home across the nation, which means everywhere except for Louisiana, the odds are a 5-star is not gonna play for his hometown team, which means we need to get in on the sweepstakes of kids leaving their home state because our 5-stars aren't coming here.

I think you're having two seperate conversations in one. NO ONE disagrees that we need to evaluate & recruit better that's the underpinning of all recruiting, but the point is, if we decide to focus all our efforts in landing mostly local prospects we'll be left looking foolish at the finish line like we have been for decades now.

Doing the same thing over & over again while expecting different results is insanity, constantly chasing after kids who want nothing to do with us & has only made us look like the laughing stock of college football on the trail. Maybe we need to switch it up.
Maybe we need to be realistic. 5* kids from out of state sure ain’t been coming here much. Why do we think we’d get them?

We need to pick well amongst high 3* and 4* kids, and evaluate well. Until we recruit like we know how to recruit, I am not optimistic that we’ll do better by trying to spread thin and boil the ocean nationally. Find a QB, kicker, some OL, a TE nationally. Hammer Florida, skim around texas and the NE. If we find an urban kid in memphis or STL, great. Maybe we get a kid from NC now and then. If we’re talking about kids from SEC country, we sure ain’t talking about 5*s.

It applies to all SoFL kids. Fewer and fewer with options want to stay.

That will perhaps get tested IF UCG turns back into UM with Ws.

Big IF and I suspect even a natty won't keep as much of top local talent at home as people think.
Why would you think that?

You're not understanding, and it's not a red herring issue at all. It's a catch-22 issue. Once upon a time what you are saying was in fact true, but that is no longer the case. The culture & mindset of the avg S.FLA recruit has drastically changed in the last 35+ yrs or so. When elite S.FLA players committed to Howard's initial classes in 79 & 80 MIA was actually a bigger dumpster fire than what we are even today. Kids are simply not as intrinsically motivated as they once were, and that more than anything else has had the biggest impact on the recruiting landscape over time.
Huh?

What good reasons has UM given to local kids to bother consider going here the past 15 years?

Since the answer is none, I fail to see how you blame the kids for being rational.

I, and others, have been saying this forever: internet connectivity and social media have permanently changed CFB recruiting forever and where recruits end up.

IF internet/social media existed back in his day, Schnelly would never (ok most likely) have built Miami into the power it became as quickly as he did.

Miami wastes too much time on locals never coming and piles up too many Ls to attract out-of-state 5*.

Obviously Ws come from recruit + develop + retain. If they can fix the fails above, keep around 20% of the right locals, bring in the right outsiders, maybe Ws will start trending in the right direction.

Expecting to get even 50% of Fl talent is unrealistic.

WRONG! You can't introduce facts here if I don't like them. There is ZERO reason Miami shouldn't win 24 games a season and this isn't a good reason!

Now dig up the remains of the Orange Bowl, put it on campus and make Michael Irvin university president!

Advertisement
Back