State of Miami: Myth Busted

It took me awhile to realize our biggest problem is our players. They don't work on conditioning, nor the mental side hard enough. We have a few guys but not enough. Their bodies don't change enough and that's on them. We don't look physically imposing at all

Diaz has only been saying exactly that since the day he took the job.

You're not realizing it because you're not listening to the people who see it every single day.

Advertisement
Maybe we need to be realistic. 5* kids from out of state sure ain’t been coming here much. Why do we think we’d get them?

We need to pick well amongst high 3* and 4* kids, and evaluate well. Until we recruit like we know how to recruit, I am not optimistic that we’ll do better by trying to spread thin and boil the ocean nationally. Find a QB, kicker, some OL, a TE nationally. Hammer Florida, skim around texas and the NE. If we find an urban kid in memphis or STL, great. Maybe we get a kid from NC now and then. If we’re talking about kids from SEC country, we sure ain’t talking about 5*s.
You're saying the exact same thing that everyone else is saying lol.

I think you think you're disagreeing but you're not, that's the gist of what this entire thread is about.

diaz has been talking a lot but setting a poor example.

OK, say that. That's fine. It doesn't change the fact that literally, since the day he took the job, he's been talking about changing the mentality and getting guys who are willing to put in the work and want/understand to be Miami Hurricanes. That message hasn't changed.

Now, if you want to take the other issues to invalidate those statements, that's fine. But it seemed like all of a sudden everyone believed it when Reed said it AFTER the season.

I'm fine with all the bashing on Diaz, but what I've seen is a guy who identifies problems and takes steps to correct them. It worked with the defense since he joined the staff. Whether he can get it right with the program is yet to be determined.

You're saying the exact same thing that everyone else is saying lol.

I think you think you're disagreeing but you're not, that's the gist of what this entire thread is about.
I’m not sure about that. Lotta folks seem to be unfamiliar with the notion of prioritization in world of limited and scarce resources.

Advertisement
OK, say that. That's fine. It doesn't change the fact that literally, since the day he took the job, he's been talking about changing the mentality and getting guys who are willing to put in the work and want/understand to be Miami Hurricanes. That message hasn't changed.

Now, if you want to take the other issues to invalidate those statements, that's fine. But it seemed like all of a sudden everyone believed it when Reed said it AFTER the season.

I'm fine with all the bashing on Diaz, but what I've seen is a guy who identifies problems and takes steps to correct them. It worked with the defense since he joined the staff. Whether he can get it right with the program is yet to be determined.
I see a guy who climbed this was an easy fix then trashed the kids after it turned out he was wrong. I see a guy who hypes baubles, pimps yachts and pulls adolescent stunts like crashing a FSU clinic. I see a guy who set the tone by coddling quitters repeatedly. Then he’s surprised when his team takes after him.

I see a guy who climbed this was an easy fix then trashed the kids after it turned out he was wrong. I see a guy who hypes baubles, pimps yachts and pulls adolescent stunts like crashing a FSU clinic. I see a guy who set the tone by coddling quitters repeatedly. Then he’s surprised when his team takes after him.

How did he trash the kids after it turned out wrong when he said it since the day he took the job?

Dude coddled quitters just like Richt did because it was all he had. This roster is not full of NFL guys and the combine right now is proving it.

Fact of the matter is the D has been pretty consistent (even if we're hurting at a couple positions) since Diaz took over and the offense has been a disaster for years. Can't fix that in one season.

But you must be on record trashing all the stunts when they happened, right?

How did he trash the kids after it turned out wrong when he said it since the day he took the job?

Dude coddled quitters just like Richt did because it was all he had. This roster is not full of NFL guys and the combine right now is proving it.

Fact of the matter is the D has been pretty consistent (even if we're hurting at a couple positions) since Diaz took over and the offense has been a disaster for years. Can't fix that in one season.

But you must be on record trashing all the stunts when they happened, right?
His coddling quitters didn’t help. He set the cultural tone he whines about. And he was ‘on record’s the a lot of stuff. He sure didn’t deliver against it yet.

As for what I did or didit say, now you’re being silly and petty. It matters zero what I wrote on a message board. That’s just you trying to sound clever. Diaz needs to deliver. If culture is the problem, fix it.

I'm 1,000% in favor of going National.

I've been saying & I'll keep saying, recruit TX & AZ heavy, then get the best kids from NV, NJ/Northeast, plus pluck a few from STL (the STL area is producing a shìt ton of good recruits from schools like East STL, Lutheran North, DeSmet & Trinity Catholic), then mix them in with some good prospects from South, Central & Northern FLA & we'll turn this thing around sooner than later.

Winning of course helps, but a lot of it is just effort, if we plant our flag & put forth the effort in some of these regions kids will come here, then if we can back it up by winning on the field it'll create a bandwagon for them to hop on.

Our biggest problem in recruiting has been selling points, we simply haven't had anything to sell, once we win on the field & put ourselves in Charlotte a few seasons in a row you'll start seeing more top 10 classes from us.

agree with a lot of this.

winning can overcome bags … to a point …. we need to win and show south florida kids we are still a viable option. people don't realize that south florida athletes and the high school coaches are looking for ANY excuse to favor UM. not the other way around. shocking as is to believe, it's true. pull aside any kid in the locker room at Northwestern or Aquinas or Carol City or Central, or any of the others. Ask the kid if he had his choice, and could win a natty at UM or a natty at LSU or Alabama, which would he pick. they'd pick UM 99 times out of 100. the problem is we haven't given them much to cheer about, or much hope at winning the 'ship lately, and that we have done as well as we have recruiting through the dry spell is a testament to how powerful the UM brand is, nationally, but especially locally.

yes, I know in south florida it's easy to lose out on kids when grandma and uncle earl are just looking for the biggest bag. we need to take care of business on Saturdays, and we put ourselves in a better position to fight against the bag

yes, we should go into TX and AZ and even California as they are target rich and can't be ignored.

and lastly, yes, we should be hitting NY/NJ/CT like LSU hits Texas. UM has a ton of appeal for kids in the major markets of the northeast. NJ in particular has some real talent and really good programs. that's an unsung hero market for us.

Advertisement
Why would you think that?

I think, in both good and bad ways, internet amd social media have made the world smaller and more immediate than anytime in history. Add in ease of use and low airline prices--young folks want ro see the world.

Weird if they don't.

Advertisement
Another thread where we're blaming South Florida teenagers for OUR SHORTCOMINGS on the recruiting trail.

Macho...I'm certainly not blaming the kids. Quite the contrary--it's normal for youth to want to see the world.

This is not an issue facing Miami, but programs everywhere. UCG racking up Ls to high school squads just makes it that much worse.

WRONG! You can't introduce facts here if I don't like them. There is ZERO reason Miami shouldn't win 24 games a season and this isn't a good reason!

Now dig up the remains of the Orange Bowl, put it on campus and make Michael Irvin university president!

A well thought out plan.

I'm jumping in both feet for the big win here.

I think, in both good and bad ways, internet amd social media have made the world smaller and more immediate than anytime in history. Add in ease of use and low airline prices--young folks want ro see the world.

Weird if they don't.
Young folks have always wanted to see the world, going back to the days of Rome and Greece. Some went to war in part for it, enlisted in navies over it, etc. That isht ain’t new.

Meanwhile, being liked and a star in your hometown will also always appeal to many/most kids. Having your family see you, be close by, also. And emotional loyalty to a hometown brand.

Everyone talks about the different world we live in, but you’re grasping for unnecessary excuses. Sure, the world looks a bit different than 20 years ago. But in regards to Miami football, the single biggest difference is that we have consistently, for 20 years, given kids ZERO rational reason to come to UM. We’ve been the problem for 20 years and now we’re trying to convince ourselves that the true problem is the kids, who are somehow different. How could we even know unless we somehow thought kids were supposed to come to UM even though we stunk and obviously didn’t care about the program?

When we field a competent, well coached winning team for a few years in a row, we will get back to recruiting just fine.

Advertisement
Young folks have always wanted to see the world, going back to the days of Rome and Greece. Some went to war in part for it, enlisted in navies over it, etc. That isht ain’t new.

Meanwhile, being liked and a star in your hometown will also always appeal to many/most kids. Having your family see you, be close by, also. And emotional loyalty to a hometown brand.

Everyone talks about the different world we live in, but you’re grasping for unnecessary excuses. Sure, the world looks a bit different than 20 years ago. But in regards to Miami football, the single biggest difference is that we have consistently, for 20 years, given kids ZERO rational reason to come to UM. We’ve been the problem for 20 years and now we’re trying to convince ourselves that the true problem is the kids, who are somehow different. How could we even know unless we somehow thought kids were supposed to come to UM even though we stunk and obviously didn’t care about the program?

When we field a competent, well coached winning team for a few years in a row, we will get back to recruiting just fine.

I want to see the day UCG returns as UM with Ws.

I guess we would see who's theory stands up.

Go Canes.

I would add this: why do Ws mix in with emotional loyalty to hometown brand?

One would think Ls mixed in with above would drive the elite to stay even more to "fix" what has gone wrong. You know, because they have so much emotional loyalty and want family to see them play at home.

If we win consistently, and show kids we are a good place to build their career and win football games, our recruiting will trend up.

Don't disagree one bit. My question has been: will the class rosters uptick, in meaningful numbers, with the best fit local talent?

Advertisement
Back