State of Miami: Myth Busted

Budget yes, recruiters, on offense yes, on Defense probably not.

But the best recruiter is winning. We win 10 games this season & we'll land plenty of good prospects from all over.

The key is becoming a viable option for recruits, if we show them we're not a bargain bin program that can win on the field they'll come here.
We have to win 10 games or more for years to come. One season isn’t going to make the U a high destination for recruits. We are simply not relevant right now. People on this board keep saying that we are a “national brand”. Well that’s true if you’re over 30 years old. We aren’t a national brand to recruits at all. We are a mediocre program right now that needs to put together a 5 year run of wins imo to get back to relevance.

Advertisement
OK, say that. That's fine. It doesn't change the fact that literally, since the day he took the job, he's been talking about changing the mentality and getting guys who are willing to put in the work and want/understand to be Miami Hurricanes. That message hasn't changed.

Now, if you want to take the other issues to invalidate those statements, that's fine. But it seemed like all of a sudden everyone believed it when Reed said it AFTER the season.

I'm fine with all the bashing on Diaz, but what I've seen is a guy who identifies problems and takes steps to correct them. It worked with the defense since he joined the staff. Whether he can get it right with the program is yet to be determined.

Hasn't Diaz also taken on a bunch of head cases and lazy slappies since being DC? Gotta recruit hard workers and he really hasn't. He's recruited and developed guys who have taken a serious amount of plays and seasons off. And I'm just talking about on defense. Just look at the defenders who have slept through games, plays or even a season from the defense. Diaz talks a great game, but discipline and character come from the top down not the bottom up.

I would add this: why do Ws mix in with emotional loyalty to hometown brand?

One would think Ls mixed in with above would drive the elite to stay even more to "fix" what has gone wrong. You know, because they have so much emotional loyalty and want family to see them play at home.
Because kids are not as stupid as you think. And human beings want more than one thing.

And your response is just silly, in any case. ‘Some’ kids have a degree of emotional loyalty to a brand. That doesn’t mean they’re going to sacrifice their lives and career opportunities for a school that doesn’t care enough about itself to run a serious program.

You and others imagine a fantasy world where the best local kids all decide to stay home and ‘fix’ UM (as if they could) when for ages this school made clear it wanted no part of fixing its football program. And you think you sound clever by smugly overstating the point. All you really sound like is triggered over local kids making the best decisions for themselves. Weak response all around.

Because kids are not as stupid as you think. And human beings want more than one thing.

And your response is just silly, in any case. ‘Some’ kids have a degree of emotional loyalty to a brand. That doesn’t mean they’re going to sacrifice their lives and career opportunities for a school that doesn’t care enough about itself to run a serious program.

You and others imagine a fantasy world where the best local kids all decide to stay home and ‘fix’ UM (as if they could) when for ages this school made clear it wanted no part of fixing its football program. And you think you sound clever by smugly overstating the point. All you really sound like is triggered over local kids making the best decisions for themselves. Weak response all around.

Ok.

Don't be mad you fell into a logic trap.

All good, it happens.

So the loyalty and wanting to play in front of family works on a winning team. I'm only going by our discussion and what you have put forth.

Interesting.

Last edited:

PS. I am incredibly clever and smug. It's my superpower.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't disagree one bit. My question has been: will the class rosters uptick, in meaningful numbers, with the best fit local talent?
Depends what you meam by that. Do we evaluate well, assess our needs well, target the right kids, know who is a waste of time and recruit well?

It ain’t guaranteed. But we’ll recruit better if we have a product that sells. From there, it’s incremental. Play well, recruit better, win, recruit better, win more, recruit better, win big.

Depends what you meam by that. Do we evaluate well, assess our needs well, target the right kids, know who is a waste of time and recruit well?

It ain’t guaranteed. But we’ll recruit better if we have a product that sells. From there, it’s incremental. Play well, recruit better, win, recruit better, win more, recruit better, win big.

Agree.

Ok.

Don't be mad you fell into a logic trap.

All good, it happens.

So the loyalty and wanting to play in front of family works on a winning team. I'm only going by our discussion and what you have put forth.

Interesting.
No logic trap whatsoever. You’re lost in a paper bag and sound like a first semester law student. No need to distort every argument to a logical extreme. No need to assume it’s all one thing, nothing else matters. In any case you aren’t going by what I have put forth. You’re going by your stupid self-serving misinterpretation of the discussion.

It's not a knock on athletes to leave SoFL. Again, it would be weird if a majority stayed home--Miami Ws or Ls notwithstanding.

The world has just gotten too small. With digital access, everything can feel "like home".

For UCG to return to UM status, they need outsiders more than ever and that is likely to grow in need, not diminish from here on out.

Advertisement
No logic trap whatsoever. You’re lost in a paper bag and sound like a first semester law student. No need to distort every argument to a logical extreme. No need to assume it’s all one thing, nothing else matters. In any case you aren’t going by what I have put forth. You’re going by your stupid self-serving misinterpretation of the discussion.

Ethnic...this is not a argument you want to pick.

You either haven't communicated your point, or you don't realize your contradictions.

It's ok.

I'm not distorting anything, just trying to follow the logic to your argument.

Go Canes.

Ethnic...this is not a argument you want to pick.

You either haven't communicated your point, or you don't realize your contradictions.

It's ok.
Pick away, you’re pursing an idiotic strawman approach to a discussion that doesn’t need it or benefit from it.

it’s really not hard to understand the concepts here. Some kids have loyalty to a brand, some don’t. Of the ones with loyalty, some have it more, some less. For all of them, it ain’t the only factor in their decision criteria. And kids make decisions based on multiple variables. So loyalty can matter, but it sure ain’t the only thing that matters. And loyalty to the brand will decline with the brand. We’ll see more brand loyalty a few years after we see better brand results.

Go on, show us how smart you are and demonstrate your flawless logic.

It's not a knock on athletes to leave SoFL. Again, it would be weird if a majority stayed home--Miami Ws or Ls notwithstanding.

The world has just gotten too small. With digital access, everything can feel "like home".

For UCG to return to UM status, they need outsiders more than ever and that is likely to grow in need, not diminish from here on out.
You are the one lost in a logic trap. You’re trying to fix the future by reference to a misunderstanding of the past.

We will win more when we get a better overall roster and better coaching. Either would help. Together they’ll be powerful.

We can improve talent in many ways. We will always take some OOS kids. The question is one of priorities. We will not do better locally by spending more of our recruiting resources nationally. And we must do better locally to win. When we identify, evaluate and sell better, we’ll be fine.

Advertisement
Pick away, you’re pursing an idiotic strawman approach to a discussion that doesn’t need it or benefit from it.

it’s really not hard to understand the concepts here. Some kids have loyalty to a brand, some don’t. Of the ones with loyalty, some have it more, some less. For all of them, it ain’t the only factor in their decision criteria. And kids make decisions based on multiple variables. So loyalty can matter, but it sure ain’t the only thing that matters. And loyalty to the brand will decline with the brand. We’ll see more brand loyalty a few years after we see better brand results.

Go on, show us how smart you are and demonstrate your flawless logic.

You've done all my work for me. Keep using circular and vague language in attempt to back away from the L. It's ok.

I'm just using your own argument. You offered more SoFL kids would stay at Miami with Ws out if emotional loyalty and playing in front of friends and family.

I only offered, as what appears to be an overall trend, that regardless of Ws, there won't likely be that much of an uptick in keeping the locals home--natty or not.

Then off to the races you went.

So, no more squirming--Miami Ws (a given that comes with good program), what is your estimate of % of SoFL athletes who stay?

I believe it will track, +/- to the overall national percentages, whatever that is at that time.

Today it appears to by +/- 30%-ish.

You've done all my work for me. Keep using circular and vague language in attempt to back away from the L. It's ok.

I'm just using your own argument. You offered more SoFL kids would stay at Miami with Ws out if emotional loyalty and playing in front of friends and family.

I only offered, as what appears to be an overall trend, that regardless of Ws, there won't likely be that much of an uptick in keeping the locals home--natty or not.

Then off to the races you went.

So, no more squirming--Miami Ws (a given that comes with good program), what is your estimate of % of SoFL athletes who stay?

I believe it will track, +/- to the overall national percentages, whatever that is at that time.

Today it appears to by +/- 30%-ish.
Again you prove you’re a child or think like one. quit trying to make a football discussion into sme stupid logic game. You’re not only wrong, you sound ridiculous.

You are welcome to thimk local kids would not tend to stay home more than they have even if we were back at the top of cfb. I have no idea why you would think that, but your logical abilities are weak so I don’t really care. Who knows, maybe you'd be right. I doubt it.

As for your % who stay effort to try to position this as some sort of provable point, maybe you should think through why that is an idiotic comment. There are only so many scholarships for major D1 kids at Miami. There are a lot of Miami kids who get scholarships elsewhere and That will continue. The Only relevant question is whether we can get more of the kids we want and target if we return to elite status. Anyone who says we can’t has the burden here, imo.

Advertisement
Again you prove you’re a child or think like one. quit trying to make a football discussion into sme stupid logic game. You’re not only wrong, you sound ridiculous.

You are welcome to thimk local kids would not tend to stay home more than they have even if we were back at the top of cfb. I have no idea why you would think that, but your logical abilities are weak so I don’t really care. Who knows, maybe you'd be right. I doubt it.

As for your % who stay effort to try to position this as some sort of provable point, maybe you should think through why that is an idiotic comment. There are only so many scholarships for major D1 kids at Miami. There are a lot of Miami kids who get scholarships elsewhere and That will continue. The Only relevant question is whether we can get more of the kids we want and target if we return to elite status. Anyone who says we can’t has the burden here, imo.

Got it.

You are all talk and vague statements.

I asked you not to pick a fight, and you are too stupid to realize how soundly you been beaten.

Hey coward, why cant you make a simple estimate? Because you don't know nor have the courage.

Even you should be able to muster that, but can't because you were exposed.

It didn't have to be this way, you brought it on yourself.

You are eagerly applying for Muppetopia citizenship.

We have to win 10 games or more for years to come. One season isn’t going to make the U a high destination for recruits. We are simply not relevant right now. People on this board keep saying that we are a “national brand”. Well that’s true if you’re over 30 years old. We aren’t a national brand to recruits at all. We are a mediocre program right now that needs to put together a 5 year run of wins imo to get back to relevance.

You make a good point.

It's painful and disappointing, but nonetheless has truth behind it.

Got it.

You are all talk and vague statements.

I asked you not to pick a fight, and you are too stupid to realize how soundly you been beaten.

Hey coward, why cant you make a simple estimate? Because you don't know nor have the courage.

Even you should be able to muster that, but can't because you were exposed.

It didn't have to be this way, you brought it on yourself.

You are eagerly applying for Muppetopia citizenship.
An estimate? An estimate of what? You’re trying to play semantic games. Poorly, moreover. If you think us winning will not poisitively impact local recruiting, that’s your problem. I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you.

An estimate? An estimate of what? You’re trying to play semantic games. Poorly, moreover. If you think us winning will not poisitively impact local recruiting, that’s your problem. I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you.

Because you have been resoundingly crushed.

You are better than this. You can, and will, recover.

Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back