Stat comparison with last year

This is where I'm at, although I'm mixed about the future.

Reasons for optimism: We're landing kids like Don Chaney, Leonard Taylor and James Williams. That's something new. Manny has exceeded my expectations as a recruiter. He's also been pretty good at adjustments and fixing problems since he's been at Miami.

Reasons for negativity: Still not sold on Manny as the leader of the program who holds everyone accountable. Teams have adjusted to our offense after the first two weeks.

The NC State game will be big. Let's see how the team performs coming off a bye against a well-coached team.
Yeah I think when talking ceiling with him it’s recruit well (hs and portal I guess), strong defenses, smart enough to stay out of offenses way and not stubborn (golden richt with their coordinators). Things that scare me are the awful games from last year plus bye week issues. The bye week issues in particular worry me because we have been a terrible defense on opening drives since he’s been here not sure if those are related

Advertisement
Not sure if you’re referring to me but I recall standing up for Manny after the Pitt game - more so in a Fireside Chat - that I didn’t think that we got lucky to beat Pitt because Pickett didn’t play.

My issue with the UVA game has nothing to do with CIS popularity. It has to do with the fact that it wasn’t a great performance against a now 1-5 team and I felt that our coach should have been humble after the game, expecting much better, and instead the optics were of him clowning around and celebrating.

5F4CD8C0-3E90-4E21-B11E-8006A2FCEA5B.gif

You can be happy about THIS season AND be pessimistic about the future at the same time.

I'm happy to be 5-1 but when I watch this team play...and look at certain things behind the scenes...I'm not optimistic about our future/ceiling.

You don't have to pick one side or the other.
This. The short term improvement has been pleasant. I think a lot of people’s memories of the last couple years are clouded. However, there are aspects that need to be improved if the program is going to build for further success. They can’t stand pat. Just beating bad teams is an improvement over losing to them but eventually they’re going to have to start putting some distance between themselves and the ACC also-rans. There’s some minor fundamental shifting needed but not a major overhaul.

Advertisement
Excellent, straight forward post, brother.

Even if you see improvement in this team...and there is...idk how you can be overly optimistic about the future.

You're a corch until you're not.

There's just certain things that happen(ed) under this staff that are stuck in my mind and our current 5-1 record won't erase them.

*Losing to much less talented teams (FIU for god sake)
*Our kids quitting
*The dancing on the sidelines during last year's ridiculous season. (although I haven't seen it this year yet)
*Our kids admittedly not working hard
*Celebrating like we won the Super Bowl after beating teams like Virginia and Western Kentucky
*The fact that I've never seen one of our coaches get in a kid's a$$
*Watching recruits come here and never get in better in 3/4 years (Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Jon Garvin, Jeff Thomas, Shaq and Pink, etc)
*Many of our players going to the NFL and fizzling out
*Allowing players on inferior teams to have a career day against our defense (I don't think this staff has EVER held an opponent's primary playmaker to a modest performance, I could be wrong)

Some of these aren't a big deal but when you add them all up, I don't see the makings of an elite program. And our HC sliding down a **** slip-n-slide after squeaking out a win versus 1-4 Virginia doesn't ease my worry.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree, I wish Lashlee wasn't so ****-bent on the inside zone but I also know we have scored multiple long TD's off fakes of the inside zone. Just wish we would try and get the backs on the edge more often. Having Brevin back should also help down the seam.
They tried a few stretch plays against UVA and they all lost yardage. You can’t block 7 or 8 guys with 5 linemen. They need to force defenses to respect the pass more. They were able to stretch Virginia vertically and horizontally and that opened up the running game in the second half. I just think in the rush to run plays as fast as possible, Lashlee limits his own offense sometimes. You don’t NEED to run inside zone right after a first down because it’s the fastest play you can get into position to run.

There's just certain things that happen(ed) under this staff that are stuck in my mind and our current 5-1 record won't erase them.

*Losing to much less talented teams (FIU for god sake)
*Our kids quitting
*The dancing on the sidelines during last year's ridiculous season. (although I haven't seen it this year yet)
*Our kids admittedly not working hard
*Celebrating like we won the Super Bowl after beating teams like Virginia and Western Kentucky
*The fact that I've never seen one of our coaches get in a kid's a$$
*Watching recruits come here and never get in better in 3/4 years (Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Jon Garvin, Jeff Thomas, Shaq and Pink, etc)
*Many of our players going to the NFL and fizzling out
*Allowing players on inferior teams to have a career day against our defense (I don't think this staff has EVER held an opponent's primary playmaker to a modest performance, I could be wrong)

Some of these aren't a big deal but when you add them all up, I don't see the makings of an elite program. And our HC sliding down a **** slip-n-slide after squeaking out a win versus 1-4 Virginia doesn't ease my worry.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah we should’ve never celebrated after that Western Kentucky win, I totally agree with that

It's ok to be glad to be 5-1 (everyone but the trolls is happy to be 5-1);
It's also ok to be concerned that continued mediocre and inefficient play can turn 5-1 into 7-5;
It's also ok to recognize that 7-5 would be a disaster, and finishing that way would render 5-1 irrelevant.

Advertisement
You posted super cute fluffy husky puppies that any normal person would want to squeeze and scratch and pet and take home. My kryptonite.
Notwithstanding that you have a cat, like me (I have 2 cats including a panther like you - a Bombay), knowing your manly demeanor, I knew shît tsu’s wouldn’t work so I had to find puppies that grow into more manly dogs. I wanted to leave no openings but not overdo it with Pitbulls or something like that.

Not really. Play calling and scheme has had the same three stooges conglomerate handling it since mid last season. This is directly a result of(I'm gonna be nice here) inexperienced linebackers and a front four that is weak and unexplosive. The ends are more than capable IF the tackles get up field. 9 out of ten due to scheme and lack of talent for some they don't get up field much. That enables the oline to key on our ends and their not explosive enough to get home in that scenario. The problem with the scheme is the same it's always been. Just in most instances we only saw it previously against talented olines with great communication. Now we see it against anyone who can pick up a blitz. Our backers have potential but need more size and development our front four on the other hand other than nesta is either weak and uninspired or simply was horrible evals and the staph continues to show an inability to develop kids throughout their units. Call it how u wis
I agree with this except Miller and Harrioson-Hunte seem like good evals. Harrison-Hunte is explosive and Miller is Big and strong. Yet we play Ford. One thing I can't understand is why we line Ford up at the 2 or 3 tech and put Nesta at the 1. If Ford is that much of a non factor sit him. He is supposed to be the space eater and half the snaps he doesn't even line up over the center.

we don’t have talent where it matters. The O-Line. Not one of those guys on the O-line who are currently playing will even make a CFL roster.

that’s terrible for a P5 program and Miami to say. You can’t do much when your offensive line is terrible.
I agree w u whole heartedly. I harped about securing & getting more talent in the trenches for yrs, primarily OL & DT. Our DT position is much better than yrs before, but it’s still inconsistent. However our OL is absolutely putrid.

Part of the talent argument is that we don’t have talent equally distributed throughout the roster. We are loaded at some positions and low G5 level at others. That’s why the whole “we’ve got higher ranked classes so we should be better than them” argument is moot. FSU has had higher ranked classes than pretty much everyone else in the ACC besides Clemson and they’ve sucked for a while. Because overloading at some positions and ignoring others won’t negatively affect your recruiting “ranking”. We’ve done a terrible job attracting o linemen and linebackers the last few years and that lack of depth and talent is evident. We’ve also been hit and miss at spots like cornerback, wide receiver and defensive tackle. There’s some promising youth at most of those spots but right now, the guys most capable of playing are mediocre talent. I’m hoping after the bye, they’ll have started working in some of the younger guys. Not just the WR and LB positions but a guy like Jalen Rivers should be able to crack the rotation at guard.

Advertisement
we don’t have talent where it matters. The O-Line. Not one of those guys on the O-line who are currently playing will even make a CFL roster.
History says this is probably wrong. Keep in mind that Tyree St. Louis has started NFL games this year, Kc McDermott has played and Ty Gauthier is one call away on a practice squad.

I have notices that our Defensive linemen don't knock ball down when they can't get to the QB like other teams I have watched. Has any one else noticed this?

History says this is probably wrong. Keep in mind that Tyree St. Louis has started NFL games this year, Kc McDermott has played and Ty Gauthier is one call away on a practice squad.

who do you think could play in the NFL out of Gaynor, Campbell, Zion, Scaife, Williams?

Advertisement
who do you think could play in the NFL out of Gaynor, Campbell, Zion, Scaife, Williams?
Williams is the only one with a chance in the near future. The others have to keep developing but have enough tools (they each have multiple years left after this one). Gaynor probably isn't athletic enough, but the others are. I'd say Zion has the best chance long-term.

OL is a development position. We never would've thought that three starters who got abused by Virginia Tech in 2016 would play professionally.

This is where I'm at, although I'm mixed about the future.

Reasons for optimism: We're landing kids like Don Chaney, Leonard Taylor and James Williams. That's something new. Manny has exceeded my expectations as a recruiter. He's also been pretty good at adjustments and fixing problems since he's been at Miami.

Reasons for negativity: Still not sold on Manny as the leader of the program who holds everyone accountable. Teams have adjusted to our offense after the first two weeks.

The NC State game will be big. Let's see how the team performs coming off a bye against a well-coached team.

Totally agree about the concerns with Manny. Players on some level were scared of Butch Davis. I am sure its the same at Alabama with Saban. I do not know yet if Manny has the capacity to kick some a## when he needs to and keep people in line.

Williams is the only one with a chance in the near future. The others have to keep developing but have enough tools (they each have multiple years left after this one). Gaynor probably isn't athletic enough, but the others are. I'd say Zion has the best chance long-term.

OL is a development position. We never would've thought that three starters who got abused by Virginia Tech in 2016 would play professionally.

O-line is such a crapshoot with recruiting in developing so we will see. It would be nice to have the cash to land a top flight tackle one of these days but they go for 200K and up

Advertisement
Back