Stanton to the Yanks Last Straw for Marlins fans?

Advertisement
I'm still a Marlins fan after four firesales and the death of my favorite player in his prime. It will take more than this to discourage me.

This was Loria's mess. Trading Stanton was the smart thing to do for a new owner that doesn't want to lose millions on a bad team. It's a horrible look but the fans are gone anyway. Rebuild the farm, repair the finances and get in a position to keep the next great player. That's how you regain trust.

I'm still a Marlins fan after four firesales and the death of my favorite player in his prime. It will take more than this to discourage me.

This was Loria's mess. Trading Stanton was the smart thing to do for a new owner that doesn't want to lose millions on a bad team. It's a horrible look but the fans are gone anyway. Rebuild the farm, repair the finances and get in a position to keep the next great player. That's how you regain trust.

This has been the story three or four times already, man. The Marlins future isn't in this market. They're still looking for investors and they aren't looking for dumb money either. You're not going to sell people on investing to slug it out in the Miami market.

This has been the story three or four times already, man. The Marlins future isn't in this market. They're still looking for investors and they aren't looking for dumb money either. You're not going to sell people on investing to slug it out in the Miami market.

Miami loves baseball. They just don't trust the Marlins.

The WBC at Marlins Park was insane. Incredible passion and noise. This is a town filled with Cubans and Venezuelans. The NE transplants in Broward love baseball, too. Kids play it at a high level throughout South Florida.

They need to build a playoff team and keep it together. That's the only way to restore trust. Even if it takes a little exile, it will be worth it if done right.

Advertisement
Now there’s talk Ozuna is gone too...got 2 updates from Bleacher report. We better not give him away for crumbs.

The WBC at Marlins Park was insane. Incredible passion and noise. This is a town filled with Cubans and Venezuelans. The NE transplants in Broward love baseball, too. Kids play it at a high level throughout South Florida.

They need to build a playoff team and keep it together. That's the only way to restore trust. Even if it takes a little exile, it will be worth it if done right.

Yup, they gotta build a winner then keep the winner. That has been the problem with the marlins, once we win or come close to winning we can’t or won’t pay anybody. If they build a winner and sign the core long term they’ll come and the problem is Loria signed Yeli and Big G long term to sell the team but left the team losing money because they weren’t winning and a horrible cap situation. This team without Big G can still win...we just can’t pitch.

Now there’s talk Ozuna is gone too...got 2 updates from Bleacher report. We better not give him away for crumbs.

I agree with this. But after letting Stanton go for basically nothing, I would definitely blow the thing up and go full rebuild now. Ozuna should only be given away for three top prospects. He is under team control and is somewhat inexpensive. If teams want him, it should cost a ton for a two-time all-star, gold glover, and a silver slugger player.

I was a big advocate of exactly what Stanton wanted to do: Keep the lineup intact. Already have arguably the best outfield in the MLB with him, Ozuna and Yelich, cheap and pretty solid pieces in Realmuto and Bour, and a solid 2B in Gordon. Stanton inquired about the pitching and why Jeter wouldn't want to spend a little money bolstering up the pen/some average starters just to give the offense a chance? Jeter had other ideas and the rest is history.

Think about this: The Marlins are about to lose THREE Franchise Players within a span of 2+ years; Fernandez (RIP), Stanton, and next Ozuna. Pretty sad when you think about it. Fans deserve better but what are you gonna do.

Advertisement
I was a big advocate of exactly what Stanton wanted to do: Keep the lineup intact. Already have arguably the best outfield in the MLB with him, Ozuna and Yelich, cheap and pretty solid pieces in Realmuto and Bour, and a solid 2B in Gordon. Stanton inquired about the pitching and why Jeter wouldn't want to spend a little money bolstering up the pen/some average starters just to give the offense a chance? Jeter had other ideas and the rest is history.

Think about this: The Marlins are about to lose THREE Franchise Players within a span of 2+ years; Fernandez (RIP), Stanton, and next Ozuna. Pretty sad when you think about it. Fans deserve better but what are you gonna do.

We couldn’t or in 4-5 years we would lose Straily, Bour, Realmuto, Riddle, Urena, and Ozuna because of the cap situation with no clear prospect to replace any of them. Loria ****ed this team long term so he could make money by selling the team....it looks bad because of how it’s been handled but it makes no sense to have a 110 mil budget for a 73 win team. There was no money to spend on pitching, that money went to Chen, Volquez, Tazawa, and Ziegler.

Last edited:

Yup, they gotta build a winner then keep the winner. That has been the problem with the marlins, once we win or come close to winning we can’t or won’t pay anybody. If they build a winner and sign the core long term they’ll come and the problem is Loria signed Yeli and Big G long term to sell the team but left the team losing money because they weren’t winning and a horrible cap situation. This team without Big G can still win...we just can’t pitch.
That was one big event in the WBC. Sustaining a team in the MLB is a very different thing. I think baseball in Miami is toast. If, rather when, they unload the rest of the outfield it will set them back 5 years they don't have.

Advertisement
It’s absolutely sad that we got more for Dee Gordon than for Giancarlo....at least we got the Mariners 2nd and 7th best prospects.

Yeah I agree. If you make a trade like that to offload Stanton, then you either: A) Make the Yankees take the entire contract without giving up $30,000,000 and get that crap return or B) chip in $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 and get Gleybar Torres and Chance Adams and/or Justus Sheffield. Remarkably awful and reeks of Jeter looking out for his old club. He's just a ball player and not a boss. As a businessman, what I can't seem to figure out is, why Bruce Sherman has allowed a novice like Jeter who has only a minimal investment in the club to call the shots with regards to the business aspect of the organization. Just puzzling....

Yanks did not need to get Stanton, they would never given up Torres.

Miami does not love baseball. I really like living in Miami but worst sports town in the country unless you win big. The Marlins also cant get much revenue from TV. Losing Jose Fernandez was a killer and new owners should not have spent $1.2 bil. Made no sense.

Advertisement
Jeter bought a team he couldn't afford and had to use a ton of debt to finance it. Now we are stuck with a broke owner who can't afford to put a team together. Jorge Mas would have been much better.

Jeter bought a team he couldn't afford and had to use a ton of debt to finance it. Now we are stuck with a broke owner who can't afford to put a team together. Jorge Mas would have been much better.

No, the problem is the team was broke to begin with...they weren’t making money the last 2 year because of the 110 mil cap. Why? No one wants to watch a team that can’t pitch and blows 2-3 run leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the problem is the team was broke to begin with...they weren’t making money the last 2 year because of the 110 mil cap. Why? No one wants to watch a team that can’t pitch and blows 2-3 run leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you, I think Jeter has good intentions with this team. They may turn out to be bad in the long run but i think he means well for this team.

Jeter only put in 25 mil. He basically just begged for help to buy the team as his team of owners changed numerous times before the deal.

Advertisement
Back