Stadium

(1.) Read Dee's comments on the $25M loan. Google Dee's comments as to why he refused to break ground on Mark Light until they reached $23.5M in donations. Google "new Ron Fraser building", which they never built because they never attained the $10M they sought..... The "new" stadium plans also called for new batting cages which also did not materialize. Morris pitched a fit and they acquiesced on the aluminum stands, but those stands were out of Athletic's General budget.

(2.) What does Mercedez pay for the Saints' sponsorship or Microsoft for Dallas?

(3.) We are not an SEC school. What do you mean by "top school"? The school is now ranked 50 and they formerly called it "sun tan U". It was ranked in 200s during the 80s in most rankings. They raised $4B in the past campaigns WITHOUT football.

Conclusion: You are irrational and delusional.

Hard Rock is a HUGE ADVANTAGE!

You are full of ****e. I started at UM in the 1980s. We were ranked 81st when I applied, 79th when I started. We got as high as the mid-30s under Donna Shalala, and we have just recently slipped outside of the Top 50 (2019 ranking is #53).

As for the history of our campus, I know it very well, I don't need to google any of the past events. I know full-well that we have struggled to raise money in baseball, as there is almost no TV or conference revenue to give us a way to help to fund such improvements out of general revenue, and it is very hard to raise the money from donors (A-Rod being the major exception).

So you gave a bunch of non-comparable baseball projects, which have nothing to do with a football stadium.

Big deal.

Advertisement
You are full of ****e. I started at UM in the 1980s. We were ranked 81st when I applied, 79th when I started. We got as high as the mid-30s under Donna Shalala, and we have just recently slipped outside of the Top 50 (2019 ranking is #53).

As for the history of our campus, I know it very well, I don't need to google any of the past events. I know full-well that we have struggled to raise money in baseball, as there is almost no TV or conference revenue to give us a way to help to fund such improvements out of general revenue, and it is very hard to raise the money from donors (A-Rod being the major exception).

So you gave a bunch of non-comparable baseball projects, which have nothing to do with a football stadium.

Big deal.

That explains a lot. You graduated during the "sun tan U" days.

You are also a liar. Miami was not ranked higher than #50 prior to 2007. The links that corroborate this are below.

Here are UM's actual rankings during the past 11 years.

1547510286611.png

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/tag/u-s-news-historical-college-rankings/
http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2015/06/13/u-s-news-national-university-rankings-2008-present/

You must not understand finances.

A new stadium would cost ~ $400 million, minimum.

For six games a year.

Not happening.

Yale MBA. I understand finance just fine, my dude.

First, we wouldn't pay all of it. Look at stadium deals around the country. The city typically pays around half.

Second, you get sponsors. They pay a big chunk as well.

Third, it's not like you're paying a lump sum. You're stretching it out over many years.

Finally, you're not playing at Hard Rock for free. You're paying a lease, plus you're giving up chunks of revenue that would come from parking and concessions, which I believe Mr. Ross also gets a cut of.

And you have the opportunity cost, considering all the other things you could do with a stadium. A stadium could generate income year-round, not just 6 days a year.

Makes a ton of sense. The new Falcons stadium cost $1.6B.

YOU state above that the stadium will be a "dual medical school and football stadium". What happens when it rains? How do you control for bacteria in an OUTDOOR stadium................ Do the hallways become operating rooms? How old are you..... 10?

Med School is NOT "jammed pack". It is actually the opposite. Shalala bought a hospital. An 18-story tower called UHealth Tower

Of course the stadium was dead. We lost to UVA and went 7-6.......... The Program was fairly dead as well up until a month ago.

Our facilities are definitely top-20 (maybe even top 15), UM is located in a Tropical Paradise, we offer a top 5 education when comparing other football "powers" (Notre Dame, Stanford and USC are the only 3 I can think of that match US News ranking and National Championships), AND we compete in a pro football venue that Ross renovated for over $550M and the NFL chose to host a Super Bowl. Our lease with Ross expires a few years after Beckham completes a $250M stadium for soccer. The Chargers played in the Galaxy stadium for 3-years.

By the way, I attended the Coliseum for USC and Rams games. It is a DUMP. Hard Rock is a jewel of a stadium!

You are clueless. Absolutely clueless.

Did you ACTUALLY believe that I was talking about setting up "operating rooms" next to the snack bars? You're the one who is behaving as if you are 10 years old.

Go to Doak Walker Stadium. Then you can see how you can build classrooms and meeting rooms inside of the infrastructure of a stadium. This isn't a complicated subject.

I'm sure you've never been to the Med Campus and/or compared it to the main campus. The Med campus is very densely built-up. I have friends from undergrad at UM who are administrators at the Med School. I actually know what I'm talking about, unlike yourself.

Look, I'm not going to belabor the obvious. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't know the difference between UHealth Tower (you know, an actual HOSPITAL) and a Med School. That is like trying to claim that if we built the Law School across the street from the Courthouse that the two different buildings are the same thing.

Look, you can SAY that Miami is "definitely top-20 (maybe even top 15)", and I wish that statement was true, but it's not actually factually true. And while it might sound great to people on this board that we are in the "top 5 of football powers", most of the athletes don't give a **** about that.

Anyhow, keep blathering on about how a 30+ year stadium is so great that we should never do anything different, never have a conversation, never make any plans for another stadium. That's on you.

I love my alma mater, and we should do everything in our power to determine our own destiny. Not just sit around and wait for our lease to run out.

Advertisement
People wanting UM to build a stadium while the team plays on one that can host the SB might be top level "I'm great at spending other people money". Why would that make any sense? UM finally found a home after the renovations. Miami is a private, small college, it doesn't need a football stadium in one of the most expensive locations in the world. We already have a great stadium, get over it.

You are clueless. Absolutely clueless.

Did you ACTUALLY believe that I was talking about setting up "operating rooms" next to the snack bars? You're the one who is behaving as if you are 10 years old.

Go to Doak Walker Stadium. Then you can see how you can build classrooms and meeting rooms inside of the infrastructure of a stadium. This isn't a complicated subject.

I'm sure you've never been to the Med Campus and/or compared it to the main campus. The Med campus is very densely built-up. I have friends from undergrad at UM who are administrators at the Med School. I actually know what I'm talking about, unlike yourself.

Look, I'm not going to belabor the obvious. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't know the difference between UHealth Tower (you know, an actual HOSPITAL) and a Med School. That is like trying to claim that if we built the Law School across the street from the Courthouse that the two different buildings are the same thing.

Look, you can SAY that Miami is "definitely top-20 (maybe even top 15)", and I wish that statement was true, but it's not actually factually true. And while it might sound great to people on this board that we are in the "top 5 of football powers", most of the athletes don't give a **** about that.

Anyhow, keep blathering on about how a 30+ year stadium is so great that we should never do anything different, never have a conversation, never make any plans for another stadium. That's on you.

I love my alma mater, and we should do everything in our power to determine our own destiny. Not just sit around and wait for our lease to run out.

You realize that UM had a large campus on Jackson's footprint. She bought an additional tower and opened up a UM hospital. Part of the problem was that the UM Medical Center had too much capacity, and space that they could not allocate revenue and resources to.....................

It is shocking that you wish to allocate medical space to an outdoor football stadium.........

You are also a liar. Miami was not ranked higher than #50 prior to 2007. The links that corroborate this are below.

View attachment 76484

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2015/06/13/u-s-news-national-university-rankings-2008-present/

Look, you are a liar. You don't know about the history of UM. You have no idea when we were Sun Tan U and when we were not.

Even worse, your "links" do not "corroborate" anything.

Miami was not a Top 50 school prior to Shalala. That's just a historical fact.

All of your lies won't change past history.

I was there. I know. You are desperately trying to google, while I know what the rankings were in the 1980s and 1990s. Tad Foote greatly improved the situation.

Stop lying.

Advertisement

View attachment 76484

From the UM website:

For the sixth year in a row the University of Miami was ranked in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Colleges issue. In the 2015 report, UM is ranked No. 48 in the National Universities category. Under President Shalala’s leadership the University experienced an extraordinary rise in these popular rankings, up from No. 67 in 2001.

Stop lying.

From the UM website:

For the sixth year in a row the University of Miami was ranked in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Colleges issue. In the 2015 report, UM is ranked No. 48 in the National Universities category. Under President Shalala’s leadership the University experienced an extraordinary rise in these popular rankings, up from No. 67 in 2001.

Stop lying.

Did you even read my chart. It shows that Miami has been a top 50 school since 2007. It was NOT top 50 prior to 2007. The image shows this...... I included a chart....

Anything arising from someone espousing to build a dual 'medical center/football stadium complex' is obviously gibberish. The acumen of your posts establishes a new intellectual nadir on this forum, which says a lot.

Change your moniker to Einstein............

And yet...

After experiencing games against VTech and Notre Dame during the 2017 season, I became a staunch supporter of Hard Rock. I cannot imagine a better venue in which to watch a game. Ross donated a multi-million dressing room for the football team, and it is a Super Bowl worthy stadium. Am not sure why anyone would want to waste $500M on a "white elephant".

UM needs to use modern day analytics and develop a system that reassigns seating on the basis of attendance prior to the game starting. Place professional covers on the top level with the UM logo on 20,000 seats and move all fans that attend to the lower bowls. Have the fans email their intention to attend two days prior and adjust accordingly. Use the Cane blogs to "get the word out".

You do not need a new $400M stadium. Invest a few million in seat covers and ensure that the stadium "appears" full on game-day.

The Coliseum of USC is so old, that they were only able to refurbish 40% of it. The remaining 60% of seats are utterly dilapidated. There is no reason to discard half a billion dollars to a useless stadium, when you have the stellar Hard Rock and the Beckham home on the way....

Advertisement
After experiencing games against VTech and Notre Dame during the 2017 season, I became a staunch supporter of Hard Rock. I cannot imagine a better venue in which to watch a game. Ross donated a multi-million dressing room for the football team, and it is a Super Bowl worthy stadium. Am not sure why anyone would want to waste $500M on a "white elephant".

UM needs to use modern day analytics and develop a system that reassigns seating on the basis of attendance prior to the game starting. Place professional covers on the top level with the UM logo on 20,000 seats and move all fans that attend to the lower bowls. Have the fans email their intention to attend two days prior and adjust accordingly. Use the Cane blogs to "get the word out".

You do not need a new $400M stadium. Invest a few million in seat covers and ensure that the stadium "appears" full on game-day.

The Coliseum of USC is so old, that they were only able to refurbish 40% of it. The remaining 60% of seats are utterly dilapidated. There is no reason to discard half a billion dollars to a useless stadium, when you have the stellar Hard Rock and the Beckham home on the way....

Ok, sounds good.

That is definitely true. I live in that area. The traffic would be horrendous.

Yeah. That area already can't even handle the damned 7AM Turkey Trot in Tropical Park every year, much less college football games during a busier time of day.

Yale MBA. I understand finance just fine, my dude.

First, we wouldn't pay all of it. Look at stadium deals around the country. The city typically pays around half.

Second, you get sponsors. They pay a big chunk as well.

Third, it's not like you're paying a lump sum. You're stretching it out over many years.

Finally, you're not playing at Hard Rock for free. You're paying a lease, plus you're giving up chunks of revenue that would come from parking and concessions, which I believe Mr. Ross also gets a cut of.

And you have the opportunity cost, considering all the other things you could do with a stadium. A stadium could generate income year-round, not just 6 days a year.

Second time you’ve told me you’re a Yale MBA. Like I give a shlt or it strengthens your argument. It doesn’t. Anyway, I don’t believe you.

2 things.

1. What is your current position.

2. Post a pic of your Yale diploma (name blotted out) since you’re so fūcking proud of your MBA or GTFO with your “I’m a Yale MBA” bullshlt

And LOL at the city paying half. You're totally clueless about how things work. Stupid comment from the supposed “Yale MBA”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Second time you’ve told me you’re a Yale MBA. Like I give a shlt or it strengthens your argument. It doesn’t. Anyway, I don’t believe you.

2 things.

1. What is your current position.

2. Post a pic of your Yale diploma (name blotted out) since you’re so fūcking proud of your MBA or GTFO with your “I’m a Yale MBA” bullshlt

And LOL at the city paying half. You're totally clueless about how things work. Stupid comment from the supposed “Yale MBA”

LOL at the thought of me having to prove myself to you, or jumping through your silly little hoops. Who the **** are you? You can believe whatever you want. The fact that you think I care what you believe is laughable.

The Yale diploma doesn't even say "Yale" on it, and it's all written in Latin anyway.... so your dumb *** wouldn't even know what it was, even if I were to entertain the thought of taking time out of my day to comply with your silly demands.

Anyway, back to the facts. Look at similar stadium deals. The school never pays 100% of the costs.

Do a basic search of publicly available information before you make yourself look any more stupid.

LOL at the thought of me having to prove myself to you, or jumping through your silly little hoops. Who the **** are you? You can believe whatever you want. The fact that you think I care what you believe is laughable.

The Yale diploma doesn't even say "Yale" on it, and it's all written in Latin anyway.... so your dumb *** wouldn't even know what it was, even if I were to entertain the thought of taking time out of my day to comply with your silly demands.

Anyway, back to the facts. Look at similar stadium deals. The school never pays 100% of the costs.

Do a basic search of publicly available information before you make yourself look any more stupid.

You care because you keep bringing up your Yale MBA to reinforce your point.

Post a pic, and I’ll donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

So, since it’s important enough to bring up, it’s important enough to prove.
As far as stadium deals for private universities go, you’ve already made a fool of yourself saying a city would pay anything other than maybe donate land, which in itself is a big maybe.

Your only argument is that these deals have complex financing, amortization, etc. Anybody knows that, just like anybody knows you don’t pay for it in one lump sum, like a drug dealer buying a luxury car.

The deals being layered is irrelevant.

Total cost isr relevant, and you’re not building anything decent in Miami for under half a billion or close.

Dream on.

And I can read Latin, you puella

Drain and fill in the campus lake. We could have our own Swamp South.

Been saying this for years. Would be a parking, traffic nightmare the likes of which nobody has experienced unless all of the residents nearby are cool with people parking in their yard. You could also tear down West Lab and build something on the big swath of land east of it.

I’m not understanding why the stadium is such a sore spot. Why are restrictions placed on Miami and not other schools by our fan base?

Hard Rock, Sunlife, Joe Robbie, whatever, will never be considered a real home. Granted, I haven’t been the stadium w the new renovations, but again those renovations had chit to do w us and everything for Mr Ross making his stadium more event friendly.

My question is, do we make any concession or parking money from The Rock or are we just tennants paying w no residual benefits?

If not, then why not try to get our own stadium? Or if rumors are true that Jeter and co. is trying to uproot the Marlins to go elsewhere, if their stadium becomes a viable option, what’s wrong w seeing what we can do w it?

I’m a firm believer that nothing is impossible, so I’m not sure why people are arguing against it. Even former players have lobbied for their own stadium in the past.

Advertisement
Back