Stadium

Advertisement
No they’re not in my circle.

But I do have some that work for me.

Also, I only claim to have more than you. I already know that for a fact.

Now do the right thing and let’s get that $300 to a charity.

You sound like the kind of guy Ivy grads would be happy working for. Motivating, supportive of their career goals, listens to input.

Good luck with that.

Advertisement
Because it’s fiscally and logistically improbable.

People will walk on Mars before we have a stadium.

But don’t take my word for it.

Talk to anyone that has anything todo with the school.

If they don’t have the will to do it, it’s not getting done.

I can agree w this.

Let me ask, do u think it’s more will v. logistics?

I’m definitely not a proponent w/ an on campus stadium, like at all, but from rumors it appears to be some closer areas, but again, I don’t live in Miami nor do I pretend to know the politics of the city.

I can agree w this.

Let me ask, do u think it’s more will v. logistics?

I’m definitely not a proponent w/ an on campus stadium, like at all, but from rumors it appears to be some closer areas, but again, I don’t live in Miami nor do I pretend to know the politics of the city.

There’s just no will to do it, and the hurdles are immense.

Look, in 2017 and even into 2018, HRS was a party with just a little bit of winning.

I mean I’ve been to sporting events throughout the country, many stadiums, and of course the orange bowl and HRS, and the Notre Dame game is right up there with the Florida comeback game at the Orange bowl in terms of sound and atmosphere. That’s how great it was.

If we can just hit on the right coach, and gawd I hope it’s Manny, everything will improve, recruiting, everything. And it’ll make The Rock an unbelievable destination.

I mean even for the shlttiest of games the last couple of years, we’ve been getting great crowds.

Advertisement

Look, in 2017 and even into 2018, HRS was a party with just a little bit of winning.

I mean I’ve been to sporting events throughout the country, many stadiums, and of course the orange bowl and HRS, and the Notre Dame game is right up there with the Florida comeback game at the Orange bowl in terms of sound and atmosphere. That’s how great it was.

If we can just hit on the right coach, and gawd I hope it’s Manny, everything will improve, recruiting, everything. And it’ll make The Rock an unbelievable destination.

I mean even for the shlttiest of games the last couple of years, we’ve been getting great crowds.

Yeah, I agree. I was coming out to HRS this year, but plans got cancelled. I'm anxious to get out to the new stadium to feel it. One of my frat brothers who now lives in Miramar went to the Miami v. FSU game and he said he really, REALLY enjoyed himself and he's not a fan of either team.

If Miami didn't turn it on in the 80's through early 2000's, no way the OB would hold the lure that it does. It rocked b/c the team was Bama before Bama. We get rocking, and rolling and no doubt, HRS can be our home field.

Maybe my couple of experiences at Sunlife compared to the OB along w/ the new stadium having those freggin aqua seats for the Dolphins prejudiced my perception. I also remember that it wasn't much to do afterwards after leaving the game around that area. Not sure if that has changed at all.

Just a little history as to why HRS even exists. The City of Miami owned the OB. Until 1966 when the Dolphins came to town, the Canes had the place all to themselves except for some HS games here and there. Joe Robbie, the original owner of the Dolphins, was in a constant ****ing contest with the city over revenue stemming from concessions, parking, and the lease amount. He'd try to get my father in the middle of his haggling all the time. He'd avoid him like the plague by always having his secretary run interference for him and even moved his office so if Robbie showed up, he wasn't able to see if he was in or not.

Anyway, Robbie got so frustrated not getting his way that he basically said F you the city, I'll build my own stadium. Hence, Joe Robbie Stadium was erected. I don't recall all the financial details, but the land the stadium is built on was out of the City of Miami - unincorporated if I'm not mistaken. I remember the tract very well. 183rd Street and 27th Ave. It had a rock quarry in it and that area at the time the stadium was built was not as developed as the surrounding areas. IIRC, the original cost in 1987 was somewhere around $110-120M.

The recent renovations alone cost Ross upwards of $500M. That's jus renovations. We've seen new stadiums being built for well over a billion. I agree that even though HRS is 20 miles or so from the U campus, building a new stadium closer to campus when an NFL stadium is available close by, just doesn't seem necessary.

Yeah, I agree. I was coming out to HRS this year, but plans got cancelled. I'm anxious to get out to the new stadium to feel it. One of my frat brothers who now lives in Miramar went to the Miami v. FSU game and he said he really, REALLY enjoyed himself and he's not a fan of either team.

If Miami didn't turn it on in the 80's through early 2000's, no way the OB would hold the lure that it does. It rocked b/c the team was Bama before Bama. We get rocking, and rolling and no doubt, HRS can be our home field.

Maybe my couple of experiences at Sunlife compared to the OB along w/ the new stadium having those freggin aqua seats for the Dolphins prejudiced my perception. I also remember that it wasn't much to do afterwards after leaving the game around that area. Not sure if that has changed at all.

Bro, I loved the OB, but now that I’m older and looking back on it, that place was really disgusting.

Taking a **** with turds floating around your ankles, well .... and honestly, sometimes I’d just find a corner somewhere and **** there. You didn’t even think twice about it. That should give you an idea.

Advertisement
Herbstreit: “We all miss Miami. It’s been a long time. I also miss the OB. I know they’ve done a nice job with renovations [with Hard Rock Stadium]. That is such an unusual set of circumstances, when you have to ask your students to drive as far as they have to drive to attend their football games and provide a really hostile environment. The OB and that setting, they’ve not quite been the same program since they’ve lost that environment. I know it was an older stadium, and I understand you have to move forward with today’s world but I would love to see them build a campus stadium if that could ever happen. I’m sure politically it can’t.

It's amazing how this fanbase will **** on HRS, while failing to realize that it is by far one of the best facilities in collegiate athletics. For us that actually go to Miami road games, and have seen the collection of trash that is the typical on campus facility, it is unbelievable to think that anyone would want to replicate that experience. I dread going to Doak this fall, not because of the fans but because I'm not interested in spending an evening sitting on some bull**** bench, hoping and praying that the signage to my seat is legible. It won't be any better at Lane, The Swamp and most other on campus facilities. They are tributes to garbage, but people hype them up as something special. Compared to an outdated NFL stadium, the top end on campus facilities are garbage in regards to fan experience and comfort. I'm not going to spend money to take a leak in a trough, I'm not going to spend money to sit on a bench. That's one of the biggest reasons why attendance is dropping across college football: The experience for fans blows, and people are getting hip to the fact that they are being fleeced.

The problem isn't the stadium, it's the fanbase and the product. Miami fans will only give a **** when the team wins, and there's a big name opponent coming into town. That hasn't happened much over the last 15 years, hence why attendance has been awful. Miami starts winning big and other programs worth a **** start coming in, people will show. Notre Dame and VT from 2017 was proof of that. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Herbstreit: “We all miss Miami. It’s been a long time. I also miss the OB. I know they’ve done a nice job with renovations [with Hard Rock Stadium]. That is such an unusual set of circumstances, when you have to ask your students to drive as far as they have to drive to attend their football games and provide a really hostile environment. The OB and that setting, they’ve not quite been the same program since they’ve lost that environment. I know it was an older stadium, and I understand you have to move forward with today’s world but I would love to see them build a campus stadium if that could ever happen. I’m sure politically it can’t.

Let's take a guess: Herbie didn't pay attention to the million dollar homes ringing campus on his last visit. What's the **** point of spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on a stadium if it isn't either on or adjacent to campus? UMiami isn't some state school that can use political power or eminent domain to get land on the cheap. Never mind the fact that there isn't any land on campus available for a decent stadium. Do you people realize how large a stadium's footprint is? Exactly, so good luck fitting a stadium where the lake is. Good luck fitting it anywhere on campus, unless you plan on tearing down most of the current buildings to make it happen.

If you think immediately adjacent to campus is a good idea, then you either been to campus, or are high beyond belief. UMiami is located in an extremely pricey suburb, and those homes aren't going to be torn down without a fight. That's not even including the issues involved with the City of Coral Gables who will not tolerate that kind of traffic. US-1 is a parking lot on weekdays, imagine the traffic leaving an FSU game, or any other sold out event. It's awful when people try to leave the Watsco Center after a basketball game. The WC has a capacity that is probably 1/5th the size of any facility Miami would find suitable for football.

By the way, most students aren't driving. The school provides free transportation to the stadium. Everyone else carpools. Who the **** cares about what 10,000 or so undergrads think otherwise? There are 40,000 undergrads at the University of Arizona, and they have an on campus stadium. Guess what? They don't show up, they don't give a ****. The only way kids give a **** is if the team is winning and if it's an event. Frankly, the typical Miami undergrad falls into two categories: The kids who are into football and will do whatever it takes to get to the facility(I've ridden in the back of a **** RSX from Miami all the way to Tallahassee to see the 'Canes), and the ones who are there to get drunk and make an *** of themselves. Hard Rock is the best of both worlds, you can do both.

Advertisement

What’s the point of this. That guy is clueless. On campus stadium is a dead and buried issue. There’s just no room. Do a Google Earth flyby.

It's amazing how this fanbase will **** on HRS, while failing to realize that it is by far one of the best facilities in collegiate athletics. For us that actually go to Miami road games, and have seen the collection of trash that is the typical on campus facility, it is unbelievable to think that anyone would want to replicate that experience. I dread going to Doak this fall, not because of the fans but because I'm not interested in spending an evening sitting on some bull**** bench, hoping and praying that the signage to my seat is legible. It won't be any better at Lane, The Swamp and most other on campus facilities. They are tributes to garbage, but people hype them up as something special. Compared to an outdated NFL stadium, the top end on campus facilities are garbage in regards to fan experience and comfort. I'm not going to spend money to take a leak in a trough, I'm not going to spend money to sit on a bench. That's one of the biggest reasons why attendance is dropping across college football: The experience for fans blows, and people are getting hip to the fact that they are being fleeced.

The problem isn't the stadium, it's the fanbase and the product. Miami fans will only give a **** when the team wins, and there's a big name opponent coming into town. That hasn't happened much over the last 15 years, hence why attendance has been awful. Miami starts winning big and other programs worth a **** start coming in, people will show. Notre Dame and VT from 2017 was proof of that. End of discussion.

I recently got the chance to see the Swamp up close for the first time. Compared to HRS, wow, what a piece of crap that place is. What must it be like trying to get in and out of there on game day, with nothing but those tiny roads winding through the campus? And Doak, I've been inside once, for our game in 1993 - back then the place was barely anything but a glorified 70,000-seat set of high school bleachers. I know they have made some renovations, but I bet it's still trash. Lane Stadium even looks like garbage on TV; I bet the in-person experience is even worse.

Advertisement
Back