STA 4-star LB Huff on Miami: "I feel like the school is meant for me"

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 4-star STA LB Avery Huff has had a huge interest in the hometown Miami Hurricanes for some time now, and two weekends ago, Huff got to experience what life might be like as a member of the Canes. He’s coming off an unofficial visit for Junior Day in Coral Gables and talked a bit about the experience.

“I had a great time at Junior Day last weekend,” Huff said.

Manny Diaz spent a lot of time with Huff on the visit and has headed up the recruitment of this young star LB. Diaz preaches to Huff about his compatibility with what Diaz is trying to accomplish on his stop-unit.

“He tells me that I’ll fit the Miami defense perfectly,” Huff said of Diaz.

So, what is it about UM that has Huff so interested and is drawing him to Coral Gables?

“I’d say the style of defense, the hype, the school, the campus, just everything,” Huff said. “I feel like the school is meant for me.”

The trip went well enough for Huff that he is now comfortable saying the Canes are near the top of his recruitment.

“Miami is now top 3 on my list,” said Huff. “On July 1st, I will announce my top 10 and soon after on July 21st, I will decide where I’m committing to.”

While he opted not to reveal any other schools that have made that top 3 or top 10, Huff said he is planning on visiting a few other schools between now and his decision date in July.

“I would like to visit Alabama, Kentucky, Syracuse, and some others,” Huff said.

One factor that will not sway Huff to a program is success on the field, and he says Miami’s recent good season in 2017 doesn’t matter much to him.

“Not really,” Huff said on if Miami’s successful 2017 effects his recruitment. “Because in my senior year, they might just go 0-12. You can’t let one season decide where you go for the next four years.”

After transferring in from McArthur, Huff is expected to be one of the centerpieces of a loaded St. Thomas defense in 2018, and although he sometimes talks about playing with his defensive teammates at the next level, becoming more comfortable with those guys is something he’s looking forward to in his senior season.

“Getting to know all the players better is what I’m excited about most (for senior year),” Huff said. “I feel we are state bound.”

Advertisement
prop JOE special from my alma mater. We won 1 game last year and he played every game like we were going to states. I already told him he got to continue to wear that green , white, and orange. This kid will be a 6'2 220 pd freak in a year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
prop JOE special from my alma mater. We won 1 game last year and he played every game like we were going to states. I already told him he got to continue to wear that green , white, and orange. This kid will be a 6'2 220 pd freak in a year.
This dude plays like Marlo would.

Maaaannnn the way he pursuits and the amount of power he has at the point of attack, after a year in S&C he would go from a heat seeking missile to a nuclear warhead!

This dude plays like Marlo would.

1bee08980f98d0fb61bbabd996a7c7fa.250x188x31.gif

Advertisement
I agree, but I also don't think we should be obligated to take more than 2 LB's from STA, Huff/Solomon. With Brooks and Pierre already aboard the other two I like is Rian and the Deerfield LB(?).

I agree, but I also don't think we should be obligated to take more than 2 LB's from STA, Huff/Solomon. With Brooks and Pierre already aboard the other two I like is Rian and the Deerfield LB(?).

Thats exactly the pairing i like as well. With Davis having DE possibilities.
This is shaping up to be a sick Lb group if they can land: Brooks,Pierre, Huff, Davis.
That to me is even more of an athletic ready to play group than tha Shaq Quarterman Trio.

Solomon is icing on the cake imo.

Advertisement
This kid might be Aubrey Huff's son but he reminds me a lot of Sam Huff.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back