St Thomas Aquinas vs Lakeland Update

I get that but I'm just a big believer in pads. Sure competition comes into play but if you're a player on Friday night give me that over the guy that performs in a camp setting.

I like camps for seeing how guys stack up physically in terms of size, body type, explosion and movement. It’s the best opportunity because everybody is together. It’s also a good chance to see how players take coaching, compete and interact with other guys.

As far as the results, I think they are valuable for WR/DBs but less so for other positions. Playing and beating man coverage doesn’t change too much with the pads on. Quincy Wilson is a guy who covered everyone in camp, had bad senior film at safety, and then emerged as an NFL corner.

QB, RB, LB, the trenches, you need to see full contact football to judge them.

Advertisement
Camps are good to see top notch guys against other top notch guys that you don't always get in games. Plus it allows coaches to look specifically at a guys feet/bend/balance in a 1-on-1 setting.

That said, camps give fake results bc there aren't bodies around these guys and there's too much looping and crap that wouldn't happen in games. An Oline needs pads bc the hand fighting, hand placement on pads and jersey grabbing is what it's all about in games.....you don't get that in camps with smedium tight t-shirts.

Camps are a controlled setting with little threat of physical violence. That affects how all of the kids play including receivers. It is a luxury to run a route with no thought to having your head taken off.

Camps are a controlled setting with little threat of physical violence. That affects how all of the kids play including receivers. It is a luxury to run a route with no thought to having your head taken off.

Or having to run your route with proper spacing in reference to other routes/defenders. There only other defender on the field is the sideline.

Advertisement
Lakeland won because they wanted it more. They gave STA every chance they could to let them make it a game. I keep telling y’all about them Polk County boys. Most of those kids get it out the mud.

Advertisement
Back