Spring Transfer Portal

That he does, he adds a deep threat element in a room where no one has stepped up in that department. Maybe I misread your post, but yes, Henederson improves the room. I thought you said you liked the room as it was.
I was pleasantly surprised by how they played in the Spring game, but my expectations weren’t high to begin with so what does that really mean in the grand scheme of things?

At worst he raises the floor and is better than Ladson/Horton/Redding, 100% agree with the deep threat comment too. Would be a solid addition.

Advertisement
Literally the biggest mystery to me. Does it come back to the whole failure to make decisions and roll with them in real time thing with Mario? Like the portal isn’t on his timeframe and he can’t or won’t adjust or something???

I think Mario needs to petition the NCAA for an IEP so he can work with an untimed version of the Portal.

Maybe it's the structure of our NIL packages. As reported in the Tyler saga, seems Miami is more team-oriented than individually focused.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brohm will have that offense booming sooner than later. Louisville is going to be a problem for us IMHO.
Who is the DC ? The recent Lville defenses have been putrid. If they become a 30 ppg team yet can’t stop a pee wee squad they won’t be an issue at all long term

I don't know why fans think Mario hasn't been successful in the portal. We've brought in excellent talent so far.

There are really two problems right now, unrelated to past performance in the portal. First is that despite all the kids we've pulled, we still have massive holes and need more to move from a 6-8 win team to a 8-10 win team with high confidence. The second is that despite 2K kids having entered the portal, there aren't enough high-character + high-talent sure bets at our positions of need. So we're picking through someone else's trash trying to find that untouched filet mignon. It's an unpleasant process.

I also think some insiders on here gave us the impression we had backchannels into some guys that would hit the portal and that hasn't happened yet. I distinctly remember discussion of an RB we'd be happy with. I think that got our hopes up, but right now we're still scratching our balls wondering where we'll end up when the music stops.

I generally agree with you on this, but I'm not sure "massive" would be the word to describe our needs.

I think Henderson solidifies the WR room. And normally I’d say our room goes from being a bottom tier ACC WR room to a mid tier room but ****, ACC is losing a ton of highly productive players this year.

Zay Flowers,Josh Downs, AT Perry, Tyler Hudson, Jared Wayne. I mean even sub 1000 yard receivers that led their programs in receiving, like Keytaon Thompson and Thayer Thomas, are out of eligibility.

As bad as our WR room is…a Henderson addition may actually make it a top 5 room in the ACC when it’s all said and done.
What makes you think our WRs room is bad? Just curious? Cause I don’t know what QB could have done much with that OL. But please tell what makes our WR room bad because I don’t see it

So as far as Henderson, a COLOMBUS product, not gonna pretend to know what kind of route runner he is, or how well he gets off the jam. Have heard the term 'straight line speed' thrown out, and though viewed as a 'take the top off' type, the Gator apparently often used him on short stuff hoping to get him loose for YAC.

Not all teams have a true #1 wr, despite the term being frequently used. Henderson could project as the poor man's Brian Blades counterpart to the poor man's Micheal Irvin (Young). When healthy TVD did target Young more and more last year and will also have his guy Restrepo in the slot. Some speed to create space, and an OC to scheme some easy completions could make the wr group better in sum than the individual parts.

*really impressed with Ray Ray.

Advertisement
If we do want him, have to think he’s ours out of that group. I know Louisville can offer money, but one of the main reasons he hit the portal was because he wants a QB to throw him the ball. The Cardinals just lost Cunningham (who wasn’t that good of a passer anyways but still) and will have Cal transfer Jack Plummer at the helm of their passing attack. He was pretty pedestrian in 2022 with the Golden Bears, and while he did end up throwing for just over 3,000 yards in eight games with a 21:9 TD/INT ratio, he had a QBR below 50 and threw at least one interception in 6/8 games.

TVD is by far the best passer out of this group, unless a bigger program comes sniffing around.
I know that they have been dropping bags of late, but does anyone know the source of the money? I wouldn't think of Louisville as a program that has a big enough fanbase to be throwing a bunch of money at football. Is there some bourbon titan throwing around money? Just several well off people contributing to a collective? I know the Papa Johns guy is a huge fan, but he has had issues recently that I would have thought would damage him financially.

I screamed all last year we needed a a deep threat. A poor mans Dorsett, Benjamin, JT, etc. would have done us wonders even with Gattis's horrible offense. Not a single WR could get by CB's deep so defending us became that much easier and we had zero chance for explosive big plays. S*** MTSU had faster WR's and won because they went 3/3 on deep balls (yes there were other factors but stop 1 of those deep balls and we win).

Mario has failed badly solving this so far which will limit our offense. I trust Crib but a more consistent X, Horton, George, etc. doesnt solve this or add this element to our offense. Dont know **** about this UF guy, but please sign up anyone with speed /deep threat capability including that UL/Bama WR (forget his name) if his foot turns out to be ok.

At some speed and I think this group is being slept on. And I’m the guy that had a big hand In starting the “wr’s are suspect” narrative last year. If Horton, George and Smith just get a tad more consistent we’ll be fine. We just need somebody to put pressure on vertically.
We definitely agree on the last line. In terms of what we have, outside of Robby and Ray Ray who are new blood, until they show it they just are what they are. I sure as **** hope you are right.

Advertisement
Is that the D2 kid?

He’s not 6’3 by any stretch. If he’s 6’1 it’s not by much.
6'1" is a lot better than 5'9". Kid is hungry and has speed. We have one more week for PORTAL ENTRIES to see who is available. I would expect most that are planning on entering do so by very early this week so they don't lose potential spots.

That he does, he adds a deep threat element in a room where no one has stepped up in that department. Maybe I misread your post, but yes, Henederson improves the room. I thought you said you liked the room as it was.
I’m not sure if it was the offense or the QB, but at least statistically he wasn’t a deep threat. Apart from the 78 yard catch against UGA which someone said was blown coverage, his long for the season was only 28.

@Cribby what is up with the other Columbus guy, Tyler Harrell and Gary Bryant? Those guys entered the portal and have gone nowhere (right?). Seems like with those two + Henderson, there are at least 3 guys that are proven contributors.

Advertisement
No, not the way it is. I had XH in my top seven. He changes the room a lot. Not saying he's AA, but he's Colbie Young height with more speed and more experience. Like them both. With guys like X, B Smith and Ray Ray underneath them as safety valves, we have some options.

Here's XH's HS highlights if any wants to revisit. Makes some nasty plays on the ball at safety, too.

@Cribby what is up with the other Columbus guy, Tyler Harrell and Gary Bryant? Those guys entered the portal and have gone nowhere (right?). Seems like with those two + Henderson, there are at least 3 guys that are proven contributors.
We backed off Bryant. Harrell has an ankle issue that’s has teams waiting to see what happens. It must be pretty serious.

Advertisement
Back