Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement
why are you telling us? we didnt create the narrative. its what CFB thinks of Mario. hes gonna have to change it on the field

That is NOT what "CFB thinks of Mario". It's a myth that some salty Oregon fans built up, which nobody believes (though some are willing to repeat it for recruiting purposes).

"Mario ruined Herbert" is the Steele Dossier of college football. Everyone knows it's bull****.

That is NOT what "CFB thinks of Mario". It's a myth that some salty Oregon fans built up, which nobody believes (though some are willing to repeat it for recruiting purposes).

"Mario ruined Herbert" is the Steele Dossier of college football. Everyone knows it's bull****.
I dont think Mario ruined Herbert.

agree to disagree on your first sentence. even some of the board insiders have said that Mario has a rep. you may disagree but it isnt a myth.

Facts. “ Mario ruined Herbert his offense is trash “……..but then how did Herbert go 6th overall and is seemingly thriving in the NFL ? “ not like that though “.

Mario has developed a reputation as a coach who prefers a conservative offense. He only reinforced that by hiring Josh Gattis here. He’s making steps to shed that rep and hiring Shannon Dawson was a good step in the right direction but there’s still doubts about him. He’s hit home runs recruiting almost every position for us besides QB and WR. There’s a reason why.

Advertisement
Dude, how can we "show much" on back-channeling?

1. Back-channeling was supposed to happen pre-4/15.
2. Currently, anyone in the Portal CURRENTLY...we are channeling, not back-channeling.
3. If there is anyone who is NOT YET in the Portal, and will be soon, then we may indeed be back-channeling, but you won't have evidence of that during the "open period", you would more likely have evidence of that next week.

Again, I am going to issue the challenge to anyone on the board. How many guys have EXITED the Portal in the last 15 days? It's not that many (yet). There are a few schools that are doing well.

Miami is making the effort. We can judge the results soon.
If we had someone lined up and ready to go from back channeling for this spring portal we would likely have seen it like we did with Lee and Cohen in the winter portal. I’m sure we tried. Anything now is channeling and that throws our hat in there with everyone else.

I dont think Mario ruined Herbert.

agree to disagree on your first sentence. even some of the board insiders have said that Mario has a rep. you may disagree but it isnt a myth.
Mario didn’t ruin Herbert like you said but he’s got a track record on O and Gattis reinforced everything that people like McClendon and TRob said in recruiting last year. Dawson will have to change the narrative on the field. I don’t understand what’s so touchy for some about acknowledging that. They should be more ****ed and touchy about Mario putting Gattis and that product on the field last season.

Advertisement
It's naive, and frankly turning a blind eye to say there aren't negative perceptions of Mario's offensive philosophy. It took Brian McClendon seconds after his departure to jump into that pool, and Gattis did nothing but reinforce the narrative.
Lol my post below yours

Mario didn’t ruin Herbert like you said but he’s got a track record on O and Gattis reinforced everything that people like McClendon and TRob said in recruiting last year. Dawson will have to change the narrative on the field. I don’t understand what’s so touchy for some about acknowledging that. They should be more ****ed and touchy about Mario putting Gattis and that product on the field last season.
agreed. I don't get why it's so ridiculous when it's brought up too. board insiders have said this is the case. we saw it play out in recruiting both portal and HS last year.

Advertisement
Man, some of you people are relentless mopers or else eager to spin BS for other programs. So, QBs & WRs are running away from Mario because he ruined Herbert along with not liking his offense. Sound like a bunch of haters. Mario with Herbert brought Oregon back to life, instilled toughness into what had been Oklahoma of the West Coast & QB drafted & thrived in NFL.
If Mario is a QB killer & offense trash, then why did TVD elect to stay and put his future in Mario’s hands? Not just NIL money. Bama was desperate and had the ability to pay.
Don’t see a rush of portal characters instantly jumping to new programs. Why not let it play out before losing your ****.

Advertisement
I could not find figures for your time period, but here is what the Atlantic says:

“More than 2,300 scholarship college football players have entered the transfer portal at the FBS level since August, and more than 1,100 of them have already found new homes.”

Soooo...that means that 1,200 players are still available? Which is what I said?

Look, I'll make this simple, I am only going to analyze the Top 26 classes for 2023 Portal activity thus far.

1. Colorado - 32 commits - 12 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
2. USC - 14 commits - 3 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
3. LSU - 12 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
4. Auburn - 13 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
5. F$U - 9 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
6. Oklahoma - 13 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
7. Ole Miss - 17 commits - 3 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
8. UCLA - 13 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
9. Arkansas - 13 commits - 3 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
10. SMU - 18 commits - 2 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
11. Oregon - 10 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
12. Arizona State - 27 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
13. Indiana - 19 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
14. Oklahoma State - 13 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
15. Miami - 8 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
16. Wisconsin - 13 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
17. TCU - 11 commits - 3 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
18. Louisville - 18 commits - 7 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
19. Florida - 10 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
20. BYU - 14 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
21. Baylor - 12 commits - 2 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
22. Michigan - 7 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
23. Kentucky - 8 commits - 1 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
24. Maryland - 9 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
25. Cal - 12 commits - 2 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT
26. Nebraska - 12 commits - 0 SINCE JANUARY ENROLLMENT

That means, among the Top 26 schools ranked by Transfer Portal class, exactly 43 Portal transfer candidates have chosen schools since January enrollment. And if you omit the statistical outliers of Colorado (12) and Louisville (7), that means the other 24 schools have taken exactly 24 Portal transfers.

So if you want to hang your hat on "1,100 have found new schools", the vast majority of that number already happened. Meaning, almost all of those guys selected new schools by January 2023.

Outside of a couple of freaks (Colorado/Louisville), nobody of merit has taken more than 3 SPRING Portal transfers.

YET.

Last edited:
If we had someone lined up and ready to go from back channeling for this spring portal we would likely have seen it like we did with Lee and Cohen in the winter portal. I’m sure we tried. Anything now is channeling and that throws our hat in there with everyone else.

Winter portal period was much longer and had a lot more entries.

I just posted some stats. Outside of Colorado and Louisville, nobody else in our class (Top 26 programs by Portal class rankings) have taken more than 3 guys this spring. YET.

I'm just pointing out, this myth about "everyone else is getting guys except us" is not true. There are numerous other schools (TEN of the Top 26) that have ALSO not taken a single spring commit yet either.

Advertisement
Back