Spring thoughts (long)

View as article
Understood. But with 3 more guys coming (pause) in the summer I'm going to wait and see how it plays out. Lots more competition to be had in the secondary.
What im saying is him being behind Ivey before 3 more guys arrive makes him a much bigger risk to transfer than If he was running with the ones in spring, like Ivey was.

Advertisement
What im saying is him being behind Ivey before 3 more guys arrive makes him a much bigger risk to transfer than If he was running with the ones in spring, like Ivey was.
The biggest issue may be Dunson’s emergence in the eyes of the coaches. Clarke was ahead of Dunson with the old staff. But we’ll see how it shakes out, I trust the coaches.

You can tell we are spending money. The first thing you notice when you walk into practice is the sheer size of the staff. It feels at least three times bigger. Kids are finishing a drill and getting instruction immediately, which isn't possible with a smaller staff. The pace is night and day. As @k9cane mentioned, everybody on the staff-- from GAs to coaches-- looks physically ready to step on the field and play. We've seen five gold jackets walking around, along with other stars and celebrities. It just has a big-time feel.

The team itself is a work in progress. Part of that is injuries. Guys like Tyrique, Kinchens, Chaney, Knighton, Mallory, Moultrie, Brinson and Chase Smith will beef up some of these groups. There is also help on the way with Porter, Agude and a bunch of upcoming Portal additions. The freshman class will fill in the third-team, which is mostly walk-ons for now. The front seven in particular is nowhere near what I expect to see in fall.

But if there is one clear area of progress, it is physicality. These are the most violent practices since at least 2016 and probably beyond. Players are getting weeded out. There is a clear emphasis on taking on blocks and collisions. The staff feels we were too conditioned to slipping contact, which led to DL getting washed. This isn't a Golden two-gap scheme, but it is also different than what we saw last year. We need depth because players will be banged up. That's the trade-off. An NFL scout said he never worries about Mario players being tough because they are trained that way in college. This team is on the way.

Here are some thoughts by position:

QB- The unquestioned strength of the team. Tyler Van Dyke looks leaner and is in total control. This isn't an Enos offense where the QB is frequently under center, but it is more pro-style than what we saw last year. TVD picked it up quickly and fits like a glove. Jake Garcia started slow but picked up towards the end of camp. At the beginning, he was taking off and running too much. Now he has settled down and is showing off his natural passing ability. He is one of the more talented backups in the nation. We won't know what we have in Jacurri Brown until the bullets are live, but the early returns are outstanding. He is just as tall as TVD with a sturdy frame. His passing reminds me of Lamar Jackson- whip arm, easy velocity and flashes of accuracy. He will throw some short passes in the dirt but makes some tough throws (opposite hash, skinny posts) look very easy. Fundamentals and consistency are the key with him. Many of his team reps were in skeleton (7on7) because of the lack of depth on offense, but he did not look out of place with second unit. He is maybe the best athlete we've ever had at QB at UM and has a positive attitude. One interesting change- the backup QBs mimic TVD's reps behind every play. So all three QBs are dropping back and going through the throwing motion.

RB- Henry Parrish looks like he did at Ole Miss. Great feet, great vision, good receiver, average speed. He is very solid and ready to play. Thad Franklin really opened some eyes after a poor offseason last year. He is so smooth as a runner that he rarely takes losses, and he weighs 238 pounds. He performed well in both scrimmages, with a TD in the first one. His hands are outstanding (former basketball player) and he has shake as a route runner. He dropped a couple of our LBs on two-way go's because of his quickness. He should play a role this year. Don Chaney and Jaylan Knighton were out there despite the lack of contact and should hit the ground running in August camp.

WR- Talented group but we lack a true gamebreaker. Jacolby George is the guy with the talent to be a #1. He isn't there yet with consistency but he makes some spectacular catches (including one-handed) due to his coordination and giant hands. If you compare him to Rambo, he is further along at the spring stage. Keyshawn Smith looks better than last year but still has another level to reach. Xavier Restrepo has been the best and most consistent receiver. Does everything full speed, is QB-friendly and runs after the catch like a running back. Frank Ladson started real slow and did better at the end. Would like to see a little more fluidity out of him- he is big and fast but there is some stiffness.

Breshard Smith finished camp very strong. I think he will do better once the full Gattis offense comes together. He is built for some of those misdirection and gadget plays like AJ Henning at Michigan. It hasn't come together for Michael Redding. Every time he shows flashes, there is an injury or some other setback. I believe in the talent and work ethic but it has been a bumpy road. Daz Worsham has improved tremendously but I still worry if he has enough physicality and twitch to truly make an impact. I wouldn't rule out a Portal addition here, especially if we can add a speedster.

TE- Outstanding group, even with Will Mallory missing most of spring. Elijah Arroyo is an excellent blocker, whether in-line or seeking collisions out of the backfield. I saw a Chris Herndon comparison on the board, and it is a good one. Arroyo is probably better at the same age. I'd like to see him lose a couple pounds and get more explosive with his breaks. Jaleel Skinner has been incredible and way ahead of what I expected. Jake Garcia has connected with him regularly on big plays, including a 60-yarder in the second scrimmage. Skinner also broke multiple first-team tackles (including #15 and #26) on a scrimmage TD. His hands are more consistent than advertised and he gets downfield easily with long strides. He will have a role Day 1 and has true star potential. Dom Mammarelli is huge and looks like a small tackle. I don't think he's big enough to make the switch, but he can help us as a blocker. Kahlil Brantley made a few catches and can be a role player if he continues to develop.

OL- Picking up where they left off in the second half of the season. The clear emphasis here is getting more push in the running game. Gattis's offense employs a lot more pulling and gap schemes than we saw last year, and Mario is putting these guys in a position to prove their power. The first-team offensive line coming out of spring looks like Zion Nelson, Jalen Rivers, Jakai Clark, Logan Sagapolu and DJ Scaife. The three that I feel best about are Zion, Rivers and Scaife. Jonathan Denis will push the other guys and we are clearly looking to add a tackle body. Overall, this is a competent group, but we have too many 6'1-6'3 guys and need more length. Michael McLaughlin has shown real talent and progress at tackle but is probably a year away. Justice Oluwaseun is experienced depth. Ousman Troare has gotten some reps with the 1s but is probably a better fit with the twos. Big Baby Seymore, Ryan Rodriguez and Chris Washington are still developing and aren't threatening the starters. Of those guys, I want to see more development from Seymore. He has ability.

DT- This is kind of like OL- we have a lot of guys with the same body type. A lot of 3-4 DE type frames: 6'4, 270-285. Leonard Taylor is by far the most talented. You can tell he is being pushed (he didn't start the first scrimmage) and is responding well with disruptive plays to close spring. The key with him is getting more stout and not trying to slip or swim past everything. Jared Harrison-Hunte missed most of spring with an injury and is very similar to Taylor. Jacob Lichtenstein is another guy with similar dimensions. He's a little tight but has good straight-line speed for a DT. Jordan Miller brings some needed size but hasn't taken the next step yet. It would be great if we still had Jonathan Ford in this defense. Allan Haye showed flashes of disruption with the second-team, more of a rotation talent. This group could use a 310+ transfer.

DE- This group was very undermanned in camp and will look much different in fall. Jahfari Harvey started slow but finished strong with two very productive scrimmages. He gets sacks off of hustle, speed and change of direction. I like him as a change-of-pace rusher who stands up a lot. Chantz Williams fought through some nicks and his starting to translate some of his weight room strength into functional strength. His weakness is stiffness as a pass rusher. Better on first and second down, with great straight-line speed for clean-up sacks and blowing up designed QB movement plays like bootlegs. What we lack is somebody who can beat OTs quickly with their first or second move. Cyrus Moss got a ton of reps with the 1s because of the lack of depth. He is very skinny and has a slight frame. He is totally overmatched right now in the run game. But he is tough, smart, competes and has a natural feel for using his body to keep bigger and stronger tackles off-balance. He showed very good fluidity and depth dropping in coverage. Going forward, expect his versatility and IQ to get him on the field. Thomas Davis is similar to Harvey. Lacks the size of an everydown guy, but a good athlete with rush ability and effort. Elijah Roberts was hurt and will help when he arrives, along with Mitchell Agude, Nyjalik Kelly, Jabahri Ishmael and some more transfer help.

LB- We all know this spot needs help. Let's start with the positive- Waynmon Steed is playing the best football of his UM career. A lot of guys would have quit after the injuries, but he has pushed through and gotten better and better. And as time has gone by, his old athleticism has slowly been coming back. Kudos to @waynejr31 for raising a resilient fighter. Keontra Smith makes up for lack of size with excellent activity and speed. He made more plays than any other linebacker. Those two took almost all of the first-team reps. Corey Flagg was firmly second-team. We know his game- great IQ, limited size and speed. Wesley Bissainthe looks like a player when playing but got banged up and needs ten pounds. Avery Huff flashes but still struggles with consistency and taking coaching. Tirek Austin-Cave is gone, Deshawn Troutman is likely gone and help is on the way here.

Nickel- We know what Te'cory Couch and Gilbert Frierson can do, and I thought both looked better in camp than they did last year (where they really underachieved). Couch brought back some of the physicality we saw early in his career, and Frierson looked lighter and more fluid in coverage. He was heavy last year. I will put Al Blades in this category, although he also got a ton of reps at safety. He is playing more physical than he has at any point in his career and is in great condition. Expect him to play a role somewhere. Tyrique Stevenson is a natural big nickel and may factor in here when he comes back. Khamauri Rodgers is still rehabbing from his ACL but has the IQ, fluidity and quickness to eventually fit in this spot.

CB- It's too early to crown anyone, but I am very encouraged by everything I've seen from Coach Addae. His trajectory is straight up and he is making an impact early. As Coach Steele mentioned, the CB group has been very impressive all spring and may be better than we anticipated. They are finishing better at the catch point, playing well in press and generally competing at a higher level. Remember, Couch/Frierson/Blades/Dunson/Ivey are all former blue-chip prospects and they have a ton of experience. Isaiah Dunson has improved the most. He's always been physical, but the emphasis on press and his added weight has really helped his game (which is length over speed). We've been through this with DJ Ivey. He started all camp, just like he started for the past two DB coaches. I hope it finally translates to the field because he is a great kid with elite size. Tackling is the key with him. Marcus Clarke was a backup all camp and may not hang around. Malik Curtis is still learning and may fit best on special teams at this point of his development. This group is going to be extremely competitive once Daryl Porter and two physically advanced freshmen (Chris Graves and Jaden Harris) arrive on campus.

Safety- One of the best positions on the team. Avantae Williams is the tone-setter with his energy, physicality and range. He looks outstanding and has next-level twitch. James Williams looked like himself, although I'd like to see more consistency as a tackler. I think he will start moving across the chessboard once Kam Kinchens comes back. Steele likes to be creative with his safeties. The key with the Williams Twins is that they both love football and bring energy, on top of their natural ability. As a tandem, they remind me of Earl Thomas (deep) and Kam Chancellor (box) in Steele's Cover 3 scheme. Brian Balom bounced back from injury with a solid camp. He provides depth. When he first got here, a veteran staffer said he was our most impressive young safety since Deon Bush. I wouldn't put him with our top 3 guys, but he's someone we want to keep. Blades has also gotten a significant amount of reps at safety. Myles Mooyoung is a versatile walk-on DB who is FBS caliber.

Overall, there is a lot of work to do and a lot of talent to add. But we have great QBs, a big-time staff, and a bunch of blue-chippers who are getting better. This team should compete for an ACC title if the Portal is good to us the next few weeks.
Thanks for the breakdown. Considering the lack of depth in some areas, seems like it would be reasonable for this team to go 9-3 next year. Having a top 5 pick at QB is huge, like you’ve said before, and our O is going to be able to keep up with anyone. Defense seems like it’s made major strides but our lack of size on the line is going to be a problem in the short term.

I don’t think we beat A&M or Clemson, but I do think that we put up a bigger fight than we have against any Top 10 team in years. Also think we will lose a random one at some point. Still, 9-3 would be a pretty solid first season outcome. It doesn’t sound like a good record, but we’ve only won 9 games in a season 3 times in the last ten years. It would be a start. We also probably win the coastal in that scenario and are going to the OB. Don’t win the coastal and we’re still going to a solid bowl game. Peach bowl/cheez-itz bowl/gator tier. Solid first year all around and major momentum going into 2023.

I could see that if he gets passed by freshmen. He has potential at corner and it was smart to start him off there but WR is always an option.
Not only him, but Marcus Clark as well. Marcus was an outstanding WR in high school. He has excellent speed and is an impressive athlete. I’d give him a look at WR. Never understood why the last staff tried to make him a DB.

Advertisement
Get me a big DT please man, im one of the few that think thats a bigger need than LB. I trust steele and strong to get consistent play out of steed and k4 for coastal play but if the oline is in their face all game it wont matter.
Yup… Dline still looks small

LT was about the only one that looked like he belonged

Curious to see if this matched with people’s impressions after seeing the spring game.

It seemed to me the team performed as it practices all spring.

Confident that:
- we have a QB
- we have a more physical team
- we have a RB room that is very solid
- multiple TEs will eat
- 1st team OL will be fine and if they somehow land Mims it’ll be even better
- DBs are looking infinitely better
- Our staff has the energy needed to become a desired spot for recruits

I am not confident that:
- We have a front 7 strong enough to win 10-11 games
- Our WRs will not have the dropsies all season
- Our depth is strong enough to sustain injuries and not instantly derail the season
- We can keep these 4 RBs since really all 4 are strong

Curious to see if this matched with people’s impressions after seeing the spring game.

It seemed to me the team performed as it practices all spring.
I left thinking TE position will be BIG, TVD was off it seems but I hope it was due to learning new offense, QB room is best I can remember in turn of century, We need impact WR BAD, Are we getting a visit from Tyler Harrell? Run blocking looks improved and varied, that alone will help us and our back get better chances, gusy look like they know who and how to block now, the sagapulo kid is good at the run blocking from what I saw. I think offense will be fine tho, but adding guys like Mims and Harrell should push us to 40+ avg.

Im more bullish on defense than most just because of bodies we are missing and being structurally sound and knowing assignments will have us playing at higher level than last year. Good to see Gil back in form 2020 he was one of best players then they moved Carter in front of him, smfh.. Dude was dam near impact player that year.. We need LB tho, we just have guys, at Miami should have some impact LB.. I think DB will be good, lots of bodies, wouldnt be surprised if some transfer out.. #95 is a problem and seemed to put everyone on notice this spring, regardless of him looking like walk on he made impression on coaches, teammates and fans..

How we looking with Harrell tho? lol

Advertisement
Wide outs need to step up more. They weren’t bad but we need more from someone in that room. I do like the physicality I saw yesterday. But the holes on this roster are still VERY Glaring IMHO.
If we reel in mims he plugs in starts
The DT from WVU and Johnson from UCLA also start. We also should try to add another DE. The DBs looked good tbh especially Clarke and Dumson. Gil had a excellent game seemed to transform his body also. Both Williams showed up at times. 27 balom played well also and will be in the rotation at safety Imo. And the sleeper that kid Thomas Davis I hope he sticks it out here. I think he’s another S&C szn away from really stepping up.

But the thing I was really impressed with was how clean the operation was. Limited procedural penalties

Confident that:
- we have a QB
- we have a more physical team
- we have a RB room that is very solid
- multiple TEs will eat
- 1st team OL will be fine and if they somehow land Mims it’ll be even better
- DBs are looking infinitely better
- Our staff has the energy needed to become a desired spot for recruits

I am not confident that:
- We have a front 7 strong enough to win 10-11 games
- Our WRs will not have the dropsies all season
- Our depth is strong enough to sustain injuries and not instantly derail the season
- We can keep these 4 RBs since really all 4 are strong
I agree with your points overall.. That's why the portal over the next 3 months will likely determine how far we go in year 1. We land Mesidor, Dorlus somehow comes home, Mims, and we grab a serviceable MLB & receiver we're in business minus awful injury luck (knock on wood).

This team has talent. We've got the most difficult position to fill (QB) covered with one of the better players in the country at his position. The O-line is going to be fine.

On D, I'm not worried about the secondary at all. I've been saying on these boards for years that the type of CB's we consistently get on this roster are more suited to play man than zone. I saw a ton of man defense yesterday so I'm not shocked at all that coverage looked a lot better across the board. Schematically we are going to be sound on both sides of the ball because....you know....we actually have QUALIFIED coordinators.

I'll say this about Gattis scheme.....I really like what I saw. Coming from me, that's a **** of a statement since I've b1tched above every OC we've had here . I saw....you know.....CROSSING ROUTES. I also saw....you know......ANGLE ROUTES to the rb's out of the backfield. I also saw....you know.....delayed release routes to backside tight ends after chipping and helping the O-line out on initial pass blocking duties. I've been yelling for ALL of this for years.

But you know me, I gotta inject truth into the equation. The truth is our defense, despite being schematically sound for once, is going to give up a TON of points unless we get MAJOR reinforcments via the portal before the season starts. This front seven, from a pure talent standpoint, is probably going to be one of the worst we've had on paper in a long time. We're not going to be able to stop the run and you know what they say, if you can't stop the run you're going to have a hard time stopping ANYTHING.

Mims would be great, but I honestly feel with or without him the O-line is going to be much improved. THE biggest concern between now and late August/early September should be talent acquistion along the front 7 on defense.

One last thing, Manny Diaz should be absolutely embarrassed at the lack of talent he left behind on that front 7, on HIS SIDE OF THE BALL, on his way out the door. A picture of our current depth chart should be stapled to his resume wherever he goes from now until his college career ends.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic. There's no reason for this team not to win 9-10 games this year given our schedule. We're going to be in a lot of shootouts....but you always gotta like your chances in a shootout when you've got the better QB. Should be a fun season.

Advertisement
This team has talent. We've got the most difficult position to fill (QB) covered with one of the better players in the country at his position. The O-line is going to be fine.

On D, I'm not worried about the secondary at all. I've been saying on these boards for years that the type of CB's we consistently get on this roster are more suited to play man than zone. I saw a ton of man defense yesterday so I'm not shocked at all that coverage looked a lot better across the board. Schematically we are going to be sound on both sides of the ball because....you know....we actually have QUALIFIED coordinators.

I'll say this about Gattis scheme.....I really like what I saw. Coming from me, that's a **** of a statement since I've b1tched above every OC we've had here . I saw....you know.....CROSSING ROUTES. I also saw....you know......ANGLE ROUTES to the rb's out of the backfield. I also saw....you know.....delayed release routes to backside tight ends after chipping and helping the O-line out on initial pass blocking duties. I've been yelling for ALL of this for years.

But you know me, I gotta inject truth into the equation. The truth is our defense, despite being schematically sound for once, is going to give up a TON of points unless we get MAJOR reinforcments via the portal before the season starts. This front seven, from a pure talent standpoint, is probably going to be one of the worst we've had on paper in a long time. We're not going to be able to stop the run and you know what they say, if you can't stop the run you're going to have a hard time stopping ANYTHING.

Mims would be great, but I honestly feel with or without him the O-line is going to be much improved. THE biggest concern between now and late August/early September should be talent acquistion along the front 7 on defense.

One last thing, Manny Diaz should be absolutely embarrassed at the lack of talent he left behind on that front 7, on HIS SIDE OF THE BALL, on his way out the door. A picture of our current depth chart should be stapled to his resume wherever he goes from now until his college career ends.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic. There's no reason for this team not to win 9-10 games this year given our schedule. We're going to be in a lot of shootouts....but you always gotta like your chances in a shootout when you've got the better QB. Should be a fun season.
Agreed with the offense, even knowing going in it would be vanilla, I saw compressed sets, 2 TE, 2 Backs, 5 wide, motion, crossing routes, etc. TEs will EAT in this offense and when the defenses have to adjust it will open up the big play behind them (but we need THAT GUY) who can take the defense downtown (SPEEEEEEEED).. The columbus crew need to bring their own HOME! Mallory is actually one of those guys clogging up depth charts like Carter the year before, TE room is actually quality recruited and him being out for spring got the young guys reps but he better bring strong blocking because these guys are ready..

I agree with everything you said. I saw pretty much, everything that I was hoping for in an offense. The only thing that I didn’t see, was a screen game. Did we run any? I couldn’t tell cause the **** camera mens was seemingly having fuccin men crushes on Mario. We probably missed about 10-15 plays. TF?!

Great write up.

It is important to remember that outside of 2 games last yr, every single game against a P5 opponent was either decided in an outright win, or a less than 7-pt loss. What this means is last yr's team could've easily won 10 games. Which also means a complete roster overhaul may not be necessary in order to achieve that win total this upcoming yr. Simply improved coaching, and depth at certain positions may be all that is required. Every CFB season has these sort of 1-yr turnaround stories. Baylor & Mich.St are two such examples from last yr.
The Michigan St final score was misleading as well. Remember we sold out and Rique gave up that long TD because we were still in that game

The wore us out at the end but we were in that game for sure

Good points all around we aren’t that far off (not nationally of course but in our current ecosystem)

Advertisement
You can tell we are spending money. The first thing you notice when you walk into practice is the sheer size of the staff. It feels at least three times bigger. Kids are finishing a drill and getting instruction immediately, which isn't possible with a smaller staff. The pace is night and day. As @k9cane mentioned, everybody on the staff-- from GAs to coaches-- looks physically ready to step on the field and play. We've seen five gold jackets walking around, along with other stars and celebrities. It just has a big-time feel.

The team itself is a work in progress. Part of that is injuries. Guys like Tyrique, Kinchens, Chaney, Knighton, Mallory, Moultrie, Brinson and Chase Smith will beef up some of these groups. There is also help on the way with Porter, Agude and a bunch of upcoming Portal additions. The freshman class will fill in the third-team, which is mostly walk-ons for now. The front seven in particular is nowhere near what I expect to see in fall.

But if there is one clear area of progress, it is physicality. These are the most violent practices since at least 2016 and probably beyond. Players are getting weeded out. There is a clear emphasis on taking on blocks and collisions. The staff feels we were too conditioned to slipping contact, which led to DL getting washed. This isn't a Golden two-gap scheme, but it is also different than what we saw last year. We need depth because players will be banged up. That's the trade-off. An NFL scout said he never worries about Mario players being tough because they are trained that way in college. This team is on the way.

Here are some thoughts by position:

QB- The unquestioned strength of the team. Tyler Van Dyke looks leaner and is in total control. This isn't an Enos offense where the QB is frequently under center, but it is more pro-style than what we saw last year. TVD picked it up quickly and fits like a glove. Jake Garcia started slow but picked up towards the end of camp. At the beginning, he was taking off and running too much. Now he has settled down and is showing off his natural passing ability. He is one of the more talented backups in the nation. We won't know what we have in Jacurri Brown until the bullets are live, but the early returns are outstanding. He is just as tall as TVD with a sturdy frame. His passing reminds me of Lamar Jackson- whip arm, easy velocity and flashes of accuracy. He will throw some short passes in the dirt but makes some tough throws (opposite hash, skinny posts) look very easy. Fundamentals and consistency are the key with him. Many of his team reps were in skeleton (7on7) because of the lack of depth on offense, but he did not look out of place with second unit. He is maybe the best athlete we've ever had at QB at UM and has a positive attitude. One interesting change- the backup QBs mimic TVD's reps behind every play. So all three QBs are dropping back and going through the throwing motion.

RB- Henry Parrish looks like he did at Ole Miss. Great feet, great vision, good receiver, average speed. He is very solid and ready to play. Thad Franklin really opened some eyes after a poor offseason last year. He is so smooth as a runner that he rarely takes losses, and he weighs 238 pounds. He performed well in both scrimmages, with a TD in the first one. His hands are outstanding (former basketball player) and he has shake as a route runner. He dropped a couple of our LBs on two-way go's because of his quickness. He should play a role this year. Don Chaney and Jaylan Knighton were out there despite the lack of contact and should hit the ground running in August camp.

WR- Talented group but we lack a true gamebreaker. Jacolby George is the guy with the talent to be a #1. He isn't there yet with consistency but he makes some spectacular catches (including one-handed) due to his coordination and giant hands. If you compare him to Rambo, he is further along at the spring stage. Keyshawn Smith looks better than last year but still has another level to reach. Xavier Restrepo has been the best and most consistent receiver. Does everything full speed, is QB-friendly and runs after the catch like a running back. Frank Ladson started real slow and did better at the end. Would like to see a little more fluidity out of him- he is big and fast but there is some stiffness.

Breshard Smith finished camp very strong. I think he will do better once the full Gattis offense comes together. He is built for some of those misdirection and gadget plays like AJ Henning at Michigan. It hasn't come together for Michael Redding. Every time he shows flashes, there is an injury or some other setback. I believe in the talent and work ethic but it has been a bumpy road. Daz Worsham has improved tremendously but I still worry if he has enough physicality and twitch to truly make an impact. I wouldn't rule out a Portal addition here, especially if we can add a speedster.

TE- Outstanding group, even with Will Mallory missing most of spring. Elijah Arroyo is an excellent blocker, whether in-line or seeking collisions out of the backfield. I saw a Chris Herndon comparison on the board, and it is a good one. Arroyo is probably better at the same age. I'd like to see him lose a couple pounds and get more explosive with his breaks. Jaleel Skinner has been incredible and way ahead of what I expected. Jake Garcia has connected with him regularly on big plays, including a 60-yarder in the second scrimmage. Skinner also broke multiple first-team tackles (including #15 and #26) on a scrimmage TD. His hands are more consistent than advertised and he gets downfield easily with long strides. He will have a role Day 1 and has true star potential. Dom Mammarelli is huge and looks like a small tackle. I don't think he's big enough to make the switch, but he can help us as a blocker. Kahlil Brantley made a few catches and can be a role player if he continues to develop.

OL- Picking up where they left off in the second half of the season. The clear emphasis here is getting more push in the running game. Gattis's offense employs a lot more pulling and gap schemes than we saw last year, and Mario is putting these guys in a position to prove their power. The first-team offensive line coming out of spring looks like Zion Nelson, Jalen Rivers, Jakai Clark, Logan Sagapolu and DJ Scaife. The three that I feel best about are Zion, Rivers and Scaife. Jonathan Denis will push the other guys and we are clearly looking to add a tackle body. Overall, this is a competent group, but we have too many 6'1-6'3 guys and need more length. Michael McLaughlin has shown real talent and progress at tackle but is probably a year away. Justice Oluwaseun is experienced depth. Ousman Troare has gotten some reps with the 1s but is probably a better fit with the twos. Big Baby Seymore, Ryan Rodriguez and Chris Washington are still developing and aren't threatening the starters. Of those guys, I want to see more development from Seymore. He has ability.

DT- This is kind of like OL- we have a lot of guys with the same body type. A lot of 3-4 DE type frames: 6'4, 270-285. Leonard Taylor is by far the most talented. You can tell he is being pushed (he didn't start the first scrimmage) and is responding well with disruptive plays to close spring. The key with him is getting more stout and not trying to slip or swim past everything. Jared Harrison-Hunte missed most of spring with an injury and is very similar to Taylor. Jacob Lichtenstein is another guy with similar dimensions. He's a little tight but has good straight-line speed for a DT. Jordan Miller brings some needed size but hasn't taken the next step yet. It would be great if we still had Jonathan Ford in this defense. Allan Haye showed flashes of disruption with the second-team, more of a rotation talent. This group could use a 310+ transfer.

DE- This group was very undermanned in camp and will look much different in fall. Jahfari Harvey started slow but finished strong with two very productive scrimmages. He gets sacks off of hustle, speed and change of direction. I like him as a change-of-pace rusher who stands up a lot. Chantz Williams fought through some nicks and his starting to translate some of his weight room strength into functional strength. His weakness is stiffness as a pass rusher. Better on first and second down, with great straight-line speed for clean-up sacks and blowing up designed QB movement plays like bootlegs. What we lack is somebody who can beat OTs quickly with their first or second move. Cyrus Moss got a ton of reps with the 1s because of the lack of depth. He is very skinny and has a slight frame. He is totally overmatched right now in the run game. But he is tough, smart, competes and has a natural feel for using his body to keep bigger and stronger tackles off-balance. He showed very good fluidity and depth dropping in coverage. Going forward, expect his versatility and IQ to get him on the field. Thomas Davis is similar to Harvey. Lacks the size of an everydown guy, but a good athlete with rush ability and effort. Elijah Roberts was hurt and will help when he arrives, along with Mitchell Agude, Nyjalik Kelly, Jabahri Ishmael and some more transfer help.

LB- We all know this spot needs help. Let's start with the positive- Waynmon Steed is playing the best football of his UM career. A lot of guys would have quit after the injuries, but he has pushed through and gotten better and better. And as time has gone by, his old athleticism has slowly been coming back. Kudos to @waynejr31 for raising a resilient fighter. Keontra Smith makes up for lack of size with excellent activity and speed. He made more plays than any other linebacker. Those two took almost all of the first-team reps. Corey Flagg was firmly second-team. We know his game- great IQ, limited size and speed. Wesley Bissainthe looks like a player when playing but got banged up and needs ten pounds. Avery Huff flashes but still struggles with consistency and taking coaching. Tirek Austin-Cave is gone, Deshawn Troutman is likely gone and help is on the way here.

Nickel- We know what Te'cory Couch and Gilbert Frierson can do, and I thought both looked better in camp than they did last year (where they really underachieved). Couch brought back some of the physicality we saw early in his career, and Frierson looked lighter and more fluid in coverage. He was heavy last year. I will put Al Blades in this category, although he also got a ton of reps at safety. He is playing more physical than he has at any point in his career and is in great condition. Expect him to play a role somewhere. Tyrique Stevenson is a natural big nickel and may factor in here when he comes back. Khamauri Rodgers is still rehabbing from his ACL but has the IQ, fluidity and quickness to eventually fit in this spot.

CB- It's too early to crown anyone, but I am very encouraged by everything I've seen from Coach Addae. His trajectory is straight up and he is making an impact early. As Coach Steele mentioned, the CB group has been very impressive all spring and may be better than we anticipated. They are finishing better at the catch point, playing well in press and generally competing at a higher level. Remember, Couch/Frierson/Blades/Dunson/Ivey are all former blue-chip prospects and they have a ton of experience. Isaiah Dunson has improved the most. He's always been physical, but the emphasis on press and his added weight has really helped his game (which is length over speed). We've been through this with DJ Ivey. He started all camp, just like he started for the past two DB coaches. I hope it finally translates to the field because he is a great kid with elite size. Tackling is the key with him. Marcus Clarke was a backup all camp and may not hang around. Malik Curtis is still learning and may fit best on special teams at this point of his development. This group is going to be extremely competitive once Daryl Porter and two physically advanced freshmen (Chris Graves and Jaden Harris) arrive on campus.

Safety- One of the best positions on the team. Avantae Williams is the tone-setter with his energy, physicality and range. He looks outstanding and has next-level twitch. James Williams looked like himself, although I'd like to see more consistency as a tackler. I think he will start moving across the chessboard once Kam Kinchens comes back. Steele likes to be creative with his safeties. The key with the Williams Twins is that they both love football and bring energy, on top of their natural ability. As a tandem, they remind me of Earl Thomas (deep) and Kam Chancellor (box) in Steele's Cover 3 scheme. Brian Balom bounced back from injury with a solid camp. He provides depth. When he first got here, a veteran staffer said he was our most impressive young safety since Deon Bush. I wouldn't put him with our top 3 guys, but he's someone we want to keep. Blades has also gotten a significant amount of reps at safety. Myles Mooyoung is a versatile walk-on DB who is FBS caliber.

Overall, there is a lot of work to do and a lot of talent to add. But we have great QBs, a big-time staff, and a bunch of blue-chippers who are getting better. This team should compete for an ACC title if the Portal is good to us the next few weeks.
When evaluating whether a player for CB or nickel, what skills or attributes differentiate the two positions?

I demand "Jake Lichtenstein" or whatever he's calling himself to reveal himself as Scott Patchan right now.

I was going to say he looks like his brother, Matt Patchan. The dude was superhuman when I played against him in high school.

1650220802950.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back