Spring thoughts (long)

View as article
Front 7 = Met Expectations (mediocre at best...admittedly low bar).
Secondary = Exceeded Expectations (hats off to Steele, Addae and staff)
WRs = Below Expectations (we need portal help)

Mario needs to bring in a few more players to supplement the following position groups (in order of importance):

1. LBs (tie)
1. DTs (tie)
1. DEs (tie)
4. WRs
5. OL (maybe a RT to create depth)

The top 4 are a necessity if we want to win the Coastal and compete for the ACC Championship.

Advertisement
Absof..kinglutely! and I choose my words with care!
Thanks for not taking offense to what I was saying

Your post was spot on. Just been seeing that phrase thrown around so much on here referring to a bunch of different QBs. I’m like **** how many “generational talents” do we think are out there? Lol

No bigger TVD fan than me though. Can’t wait

He’s the Lawrence Taylor of Walk-ons. Did I get it right @ben ?👀
Adam Sandler Yes GIF

Advertisement
Confident that:
- we have a QB yes
- we have a more physical team yes
- we have a RB room that is very solid yes
- multiple TEs will eat yes
- 1st team OL will be fine (No) and if they somehow land Mims it’ll be even better (Need transfer OLs badly)
- DBs are looking infinitely better I'll wait till Porter and Graves to judge
- Our staff has the energy needed to become a desired spot for recruits yes

I am not confident that:
- We have a front 7 strong enough to win 10-11 games we don't, on offense or defense
- Our WRs will not have the dropsies all season total wild card
- Our depth is strong enough to sustain injuries and not instantly derail the season our depth stinks
- We can keep these 4 RBs since really all 4 are strong another wild card
Responses in bold

Curious to see if this matched with people’s impressions after seeing the spring game.

It seemed to me the team performed as it practiced all spring.
Yes, the game matched the Spring play. Besides keeping it vanilla. They didn't use (show) some players the way I expected. Intentionally!

Advertisement
We beat Pitt on the road with their 2nd best QB ever after Marino but lose to them the next year at home with some guy at QB? It's possible but doesn't seem that likely.
To me it’s the third most likely L on our schedule. I’m just skeptical that we will end up going 10-2 at a minimum with losses only to A&M and Clemson. They’re the next best team up after that.

Does anyone know what is going on with Sam Brooks right now? I know he has been hurt and there was talk that he might be leaving Miami but I never heard anything else about it. Does Brooks have any chance of ever being healthy and playing for UM? Haven't heard a word about the kid in a long time.

How does the summer work now? On field coaches are done for the next 10 or so weeks and don’t work with the kids? It’s just Feld and his team allowed? And is it everyday?

Advertisement
Advertisement
When evaluating whether a player for CB or nickel, what skills or attributes differentiate the two positions?
Sorry I missed this. A nickel is closer to the ball, so I would prioritize instincts, lateral quickness (due to the two-way go of the receiver), open field tackling and the ability to diagnose plays. At outside corner, I want more length and downfield speed. With that said, you need downfield speed at nickel too with the way teams are attacking the seam vertically.

@DMoney Curious if you have insight into how John Campbell is doing and how the staff feels about him. It is looking increasingly likely that our top 3 tackles will be Zion, Scaife and Campbell, so I really hope he’s coming along.
I know we like his size. The key for him is competitiveness and work ethic in the offseason. Coaches want any excuse to put that body type on the field.

9-3 would be good for this team. 10-2 would be excellent.
9-3 should be the expectation for this year. 10-2 is very reachable but I’m skeptical we’ll kick our one random loss a year habit in 2022. 9-3, along with being competitive against Clemson and A&M, and a solid bowl game would be a solid foundation. Win the bowl and go 10-3, and we’ll be a preseason Top 10 team going into 2023.

Advertisement
Back