Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

Advertisement
When i was telling ppl this...they werent getting it...Its kind of has always been this game....He has a nice swim move that he uses ALOT. When it doesnt work he can get washed fairly easily...hence me saying Nesta was the best dt we had last year.

They are going to have to coach it some out of him but his film from high school it was what he did and last year as a freshman as well. He needs to lower his pad level a bit

this is alarming that our past staff couldn't/wouldn't notice this about LT. Leverage/pad level is one of the most basic principles of football and especially in the trenches

I mean, you dont need to be Emanuel Steward to figure out if a guy is carry his hands too low while boxing...

Last edited:
Alex, regarding Manny's usage of the IPF to me was another example of him making things easier for the player,s instead of harder -- which to me, is a part of conditioning the body and mind of a team.

This is the problem when you have someone in charge who yearns so badly to be liked by the players...
listen to mario's interview after the scrimmage. he mentions that his job is to make things difficult for players. hence playing outside. easy call in my opinion.

Dude on the lower right looks like a younger, more jacked Pedro Pascal

1649047906375.png

Advertisement
Part of me thinks that Nesta left because he was going to be asked to play DT the real way. (using your hands to control your gap instead of hauling *** up field every play)

Joking. But not really.

Pretty alarming that a top-level DL doesn't know how to use pad level and his hands at this stage of his career. Shows me that he was allowed to get away with that finesse **** in high school. And he got away with it last year because...well... Manny. ("TFL's bro!") The DL coaching in South Florida is generally a joke, so this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure Mario and his staff will get it right.

Part of me thinks that Nesta left because he was going to be asked to play DT the real way. (using your hands to control your gap instead of hauling *** up field every play)

Joking. But not really.

Pretty alarming that a top-level DL doesn't know how to use pad level and his hands at this stage of his career. Shows me that he was allowed to get away with that finesse **** in high school. And he got away with it last year because...well... Manny. ("TFL's bro!") The DL coaching in South Florida is generally a joke, so this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure Mario and his staff will get it right.
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes what do you have to say about narratives now. Next time before you take the passive aggressive insulting route, find out if what people are saying is true before you hit send….

this is alarming that our past staff couldn't/wouldn't notice this about LT. Leverage/pad level is one of the most basic principles of football and especially in the trenches

I mean, you dont need to be Emanuel Steward to figure out if a guy is carry his hands too low while boxing...

Who said they didn't know or care? Are people forgetting that LT didn't even take snaps until later in the year? Gotta imagine it was for a reason...

Advertisement
Also, people keep talking about the IPF practices with Manny and are forgetting that there was a time when he didn't have a choice. Indoor practices ain't the reason why our LB recruiting was subpar and why our DLine has the size of MAC schools...it's other **** to complain about but that ain't it lol

When i was telling ppl this...they werent getting it...Its kind of has always been this game....He has a nice swim move that he uses ALOT. When it doesnt work he can get washed fairly easily...hence me saying Nesta was the best dt we had last year.

They are going to have to coach it some out of him but his film from high school it was what he did and last year as a freshman as well. He needs to lower his pad level a bit
This was the knock on him coming out of high school. He was generally allowed to play skinny and beat his man into the backfield every down.
Who said they didn't know or care? Are people forgetting that LT didn't even take snaps until later in the year? Gotta imagine it was for a reason...
Fans think freshmen can play right away and if they don’t start immediately it’s not because they have things to work on, it’s because coaches have agendas. It can take time to develop good habits. Especially if you’ve been playing a certain way your entire life.

I thought the same after reading about how high he plays. I remember a lot of us was wondering why he wasn't playing at the start of the season.
It wasn't until rumors about him transferring surfaced that he started playing.

Advertisement
Fans think freshmen can play right away and if they don’t start immediately it’s not because they have things to work on, it’s because coaches have agendas. It can take time to develop good habits. Especially if you’ve been playing a certain way your entire life.

That was my point at the beginning of this thread. LT is going to be a quality player for us. But don’t expect him to be an AA as a first or second year. He’s got stuff to work on.

The vast majority of us on this thread are not criticizing LT we’re telling people to take their expectations down while he develops.

BTW that was my same argument for Nelson. Now he’s ready. Last year he was ready. He was so clearly NOT ready as a freshman and sophomore yet people went ballistic if we criticized the coaches for starting him too early. Yes there are exceptions like Lebron in basketball. But most 18 and 19 year olds need a couple years to handle grown men. Even future first rounders.

Last edited:
That was my point at the beginning of this thread. LT is going to be a quality player for us. But don’t expect him to be an AA as a first or second year. He’s got stuff to work on.

The vast majority of us on this thread are not criticizing LT we’re telling people to take their expectations down while he develops.

BTW that was my same argument for Nelson. Now he’s ready. Last year he was ready. He was so clearly NOT ready as a freshman and sophomore yet people went ballistic if we criticized the coaches for starting him too early. Yes there are exceptions like Lebron in basketball. But most 18 and 19 year olds need a couple years to handle grown men. Even future first rounders.
Exactly.

Especially when you consider the inconsistency in the coaching many of our young players received in high school or any of the bad habits they formed as a result of being a superior athlete in comparison to their competition. An OL or DL stud can get away with "freelancing" (using this term for argument's sake) when the kid is 6'4 300lbs going up against a 5'10 230lbs OL/DL, but the game changes when that 18 or 19-year-old is going up against a 21 or 22-year-old who has been working and developing technique and strength.

Unfortunately for you, you were hoodwinked, bamboozled and made a fool of…
I would say that was 90% of the fanbase. Of course many posters after the fact will come out and say they knew all along that Mannys D was overrated and was horrible but the majority werent saying that during the 2016-2018 run where that D pretty much saved the offense 75% of the time. Once Goldens players were all gone, Mannys D showed its true colors especially last season. And it completely bottomed out. I am glad we are past that now and are moving on HOWEVER it served its purpose for the few years it was actually effective. Until it wasnt. It happens. Gimmick offenses (Mike Leach/Rich Rodriguez/Kevin Sumlin) and defenses always have a shelf life. It is what it is.

Advertisement

He's right on schedule. He was able to get his feet wet and make some plays in limited time last year. This year, they're working on perfecting his game so he's not just a one dimensional pass rusher. Linemen, even highly rated ones, usually take a little time to develop fully. And before someone jumps in here with an example of a freshman DT who was NFL ready, just realize that's the extreme outlier. For every one freshman DT who is ready to start immediately, there's thousands who aren't.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes what do you have to say about narratives now. Next time before you take the passive aggressive insulting route, find out if what people are saying is true before you hit send….

I think I was 100% right in what I said - several posts in these threads prove it. Bro, you’re a sensitive guy. Get some thicker skin.

But you apparently aren’t perceptive enough to understand what I was saying. People critiquing his pad level due to poor coaching, that’s not what I was talking about, and you know it.

I think I was 100% right in what I said - several posts in these threads prove it. Bro, you’re a sensitive guy. Get some thicker skin.

But you apparently aren’t perceptive enough to understand what I was saying. People critiquing his pad level due to poor coaching, that’s not what I was talking about, and you know it.
Lol. Like I said keep that same energy with other posters like Dmoney, Macho, and others. You haven’t proven anything other than you are passive aggressive and emotional.

Advertisement
Back