Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

I swear, the depths people will go to find excuses for why we've sucked.

Every practice Randy Shannon and Al Golden ran was outside in the weather. Didn't see their teams dominating fourth quarters with an iron clad will undaunted by heat and/or dehydration.
It's truly wild what we come up with. Being acclimated to the heat isn't a bad thing, but it isn't some deciding factor in a championship team.

Advertisement
Those guys CANT cover deep and aren't even asked too. Those guys are big *** DBs JUST LIKE JWill... Those guys are strong SAFETIES...

What do Those guys have that Jwill doesn't, from an athletic standpoint to the point that they can play safety but this kid has to be a Backer? 🤔
Let’s see if you have this same energy in two years.

Advertisement
Players, around they were flying...
yoda GIF

great stuff.

as i follow the QB's closely, here's what i've been told by those that are out there watching the past 9 practices:

Jacurri is as physically gifted as anyone we've had. But he's a puppy. he's like a guy with a 95 mph fastball that needs to learn how to be a pitcher. he can zip out routes on one rep to guys and hit them between the eyes. the next rep he may bounce the same throw three yards short of his target. a work in progress, but the upside is clearly there.

Lashlee did a lot of great work last year, but the guys are making faster jumps with the Ponce/Gattis combo.

13's ankle injury was a lot worse than it was reported. it's only the past month where he's really been able to feel physically back to 100%. he's making good jumps in how he handles progressions and will make some great plays because he has good instincts and physical skills. but he still needs work on understanding schemes.

which leads me to 9 ... Mario mentioned it yesterday, but he's so proficient, it's going to drive how they think about their check with me's and audibles. there's a lot that they are throwing at him and he's taking it all in. Quote: "We got a ways to go, but. .... He's looking at being one one of the top QB's in next year's draft, if not the top QB, if he keeps this up."

Man if we can trust TVD to audible and not have to wait for Gattis to send in the play, we can put even more pressure on the defense.

I loved King and I thought this kid could be pretty good, but **** he has exceeded my expectations.

I am not sure where the LT/Wilfork stuff started, but if you are comparing players to all timers be prepared to be disappointed. That is an unfair comparison to make of any d-lineman. He's a generational talent, not even a once-a-decade guy.
Is everyone forgetting?

Wilfork was crapped on mercilessly by grassy geniuses because he was overweight and often did not have a ton of tackles.

He was derided with the nickname "sandwich" because the idiots on the board figured the only way to motivate fat worthless Wilfork was if the opposing quarterback had a sandwich in his pocket.

LT getting doubted is a right of passage of "us numbskulls".

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is everyone forgetting?

Wilfork was crapped on mercilessly by grassy geniuses because he was overweight and often did not have a ton of tackles.

He was derided with the nickname "sandwich" because the idiots on the board figured the only way to motivate fat worthless Wilfork was if the opposing quarterback had a sandwich in his pocket.

LT getting doubted is a right of passage of "us numbskulls".
They call it player development for a reason. Let his coaches figure it out.

That can’t be right. @Stevo365 says he’s a safety all the way and us couch coaches are wrong.
I was there at practice & spoke at length with coach macho awesome dude was a pleasure but this was only the 2nd practice james in 11 on 11 moved down as they do these 3 s hybrid looks was keontra then they tried huff saturday who actually looked good had a pick on garcia . James has been playing deep S all spring including 7 on 7 this saturday. He is too good not to be moved around our S is best position on defense our second level is lacking& it didnt take long for coaches to notice so ofcourse we need him to be closer at times but also offense was TE heavy like i said previously he is really working on man vs TE looked great but just cause we need him everywhere does not mean he not a deep S thats what my bro sees himself as ima encourage & support him ❗

Advertisement
@Stevo365

You gonna drop the inside scoop after practice? How LT look to you?
I was told not too not trying to burn any bridges seems like they want to cut off certain media ppl not trying to let it be me lol but LT had the rep of the day in double team drills is dominant when he is laser focused needs to be consistent with his technique/pad level its all about breaking bad habits this spring none of these guys were going to break all that in 9 practices its going to be a grind

Man if we can trust TVD to audible and not have to wait for Gattis to send in the play, we can put even more pressure on the defense.

I loved King and I thought this kid could be pretty good, but **** he has exceeded my expectations.
Never liked King. Couldn't pass or run above low average. I wasn't happy he got hurt, but I was happy for a real QB TVD or Garcia to lead this team.

I was there at practice & spoke at length with coach macho awesome dude was a pleasure but this was only the 2nd practice james in 11 on 11 moved down as they do these 3 s hybrid looks was keontra then they tried huff saturday who actually looked good had a pick on garcia . James has been playing deep S all spring including 7 on 7 this saturday. He is too good not to be moved around our S is best position on defense our second level is lacking& it didnt take long for coaches to notice so ofcourse we need him to be closer at times but also offense was TE heavy like i said previously he is really working on man vs TE looked great but just cause we need him everywhere does not mean he not a deep S thats what my bro sees himself as ima encourage & support him ❗
Just busting your balls.

Advertisement
For clarification on James Williams...

I said that I don't think he's a full-time deep Safety.
He's gotta be moved around. His size and skill set is too unique to leave deep.

His ability at deep Safety is not elite IMO...
But his ability to be a Swiss army knife IS ELITE.

I've seen Avantae "pop" at deep Safety. I've seen him come off the hash and "GO GET IT". I've seen range.
I still need to see that from Williams.

However, how many Safeties can slide into the box and engulf TE's in man coverage? (certainly nobody we have)

If we're gonna play a lot of Cover-3 then Tae needs to be the middle 3rd/center field Safety while James goes into the box.
That makes the most sense.
Then when we run 2-high coverages Tae goes to the field while James goes to the boundary. This takes some stress off of James by having him play in less space, he can rob the middle of the field versus 3x1 formations, he can blitz, he can drop into the box, etc etc etc.

And I believe this is what Steele is doing, I could be wrong.

Never liked King. Couldn't pass or run above low average. I wasn't happy he got hurt, but I was happy for a real QB TVD or Garcia to lead this team.

What?

He wasn’t Deshaun Watson but this is way off.

Dudes a 65 % career passer that made all the throws before he got hurt. I suspect he was having shoulder problems coming into ‘21 because he didn’t push the ball downfield like 2020. Part of it was defenses adjusting after seeing he didn’t like forcing passes downfield and it helped keep him from making as many long runs.

He threw for over 2600 yards and 20 touchdowns with Pope and Wiggins as two of his top receivers. If he had TVDs receivers, he would have been over 3000 yards and pushing 30 touchdowns.

The biggest problem was Lashlee didn’t use him correctly. His legs made him call games like he was at Auburn too often. Got him beat up and not enough reps in the short/intermediate drop back game, spamming iz, qb draw, and bubble screens.

The narrative that he couldn’t play because he couldn’t rescue Pope and Wiggins or Lashlee from his limitations is crazy to me.

TVD struggled when he came in and it was more than just growing pains. Likens helped Lashlee get the passing game going and showed what TVD could do.

Last edited:
For clarification on James Williams...

I said that I don't think he's a full-time deep Safety.
He's gotta be moved around. His size and skill set is too unique to leave deep.

His ability at deep Safety is not elite IMO...
But his ability to be a Swiss army knife IS ELITE.

I've seen Avantae "pop" at deep Safety. I've seen him come off the hash and "GO GET IT". I've seen range.
I still need to see that from Williams.

However, how many Safeties can slide into the box and engulf TE's in man coverage? (certainly nobody we have)

If we're gonna play a lot of Cover-3 then Tae needs to be the middle 3rd/center field Safety while James goes into the box.
That makes the most sense.
Then when we run 2-high coverages Tae goes to the field while James goes to the boundary. This takes some stress off of James by having him play in less space, he can rob the middle of the field versus 3x1 formations, he can blitz, he can drop into the box, etc etc etc.

And I believe this is what Steele is doing, I could be wrong.
Steele is not a lispy jackas so I'd be willing to bet you are correct.

Advertisement
Back