Spring Spring PractiSe 8

The sample size is small but this goes towards proving we've been terrible at developing guys. The fact that we've have had 0 in the first three rounds is a huge indictment.

To Gojira's point some of that defintely has to due with lack of resources for sure but I would argue that any halfway decent coach could still develop a guy into a round three prospect with what we have had.
Yes, we had some dysfunctional situations. Giant dog houses the size of the Spelling Estate. Sumo-sizing a five star talent to play him out of position.

Advertisement
🤔 🤔🤔

There’s that word “development” again. I hate to bring up old chit, but it was clear & obvious these guys weren’t being developed. The ? I posed to those who defended the Tom Foolery going on here, how was it that 247/Rivals were wrong only for OUR blue chip players, while they were mostly correct for The Bamas, OSUs, Clemsons, etc of the world.

It’s clear these boys weren’t being developed. And why would they? We’ve had a staph filled w/ G5 &/or unqualified guys coaching for yrs!

It’s nice hearing these guys express the difference, but this is also why I said it’ll probably take another yr for us to rid of the sickness that’s plagued this program for almost 20 yrs, mediocrity.

This is all true, there is a reason I am optimistic for big improvement: You haven’t heard much coach speak, about focus and effort. Only that we have a ways to go, which we obviously do being the first couple weeks actually practicing under a new regime.

That tells me buy in is high. If the majority of the team believes and works hard to improve, there is no limit to what they can accomplish. Bama and Georgia is a tough hill to climb, but nobody else is that scary.

We could easily go 8-4 with some bad breaKs, but we will feel a lot better watching now than before.

Mario putting out the bat signal for former players and coaches has certainly worked. This is the advantage that only UM and USC have. When these programs are good they are also cool. Bama and OSU and LSU and Clemson have been great at football, but they aren’t cool. Random kids aren’t wearing OSU t-shirts because its cool. And of course they are in college towns so few celebs live there.
But when UM andUSC get it rollin its like a who’s who of football, sports in general and music on the sidelines. Say what you want but I do believe that is a recruiting advantage and turns heads.
I certainly agree. On a smaller scale I see this happen with university of Houston basketball. I’m alum and ever since coach Sampson got it rolling you’ll see anybody and everybody at the games and we haven’t won since phi slama jama. That same concept times 20 is usc and Miami

Advertisement
I know of another coach who won a national championship whose background was an offensive coordinator, yet for five recruiting cycles he was only able to sign two quarterbacks and six wide receivers. His offense eventually broke down, he didn’t have the personnel to run it. Even though these positions would have been his speciality and he had the cache of a national title.
That's impossible, I don't believe you.

🤔 🤔🤔

There’s that word “development” again. I hate to bring up old chit, but it was clear & obvious these guys weren’t being developed. The ? I posed to those who defended the Tom Foolery going on here, how was it that 247/Rivals were wrong only for OUR blue chip players, while they were mostly correct for The Bamas, OSUs, Clemsons, etc of the world.

It’s clear these boys weren’t being developed. And why would they? We’ve had a staph filled w/ G5 &/or unqualified guys coaching for yrs!

It’s nice hearing these guys express the difference, but this is also why I said it’ll probably take another yr for us to rid of the sickness that’s plagued this program for almost 20 yrs, mediocrity.

This is all true, there is a reason I am optimistic for big improvement: You haven’t heard much coach speak, about focus and effort. Only that we have a ways to go, which we obviously do being the first couple weeks actually practicing under a new regime.

That tells me buy in is high. If the majority of the team believes and works hard to improve, there is no limit to what they can accomplish. Bama and Georgia is a tough hill to climb, but nobody else is that scary.

We could easily go 8-4 with some bad breaKs, but we will feel a lot better watching now than before.

Advertisement
You might want to go back and check those lists. Alabama has a list of blue chip players who never panned out a mile long. Just look at their 2019 class. Top player Antonio Alfano never played, transferred to Colorado and then retired medically. #4 recruit Pierce Quick barely plays outside of mop up duty in blowouts. #6recruit Ishmael Sopsher played 1 game in two years and has transferred to USC . #7 recruit Justin Eboige has totaled 48 tackles and 2 sacks in three seasons. All of those players were 5 stars or very high 4 stars. The difference between them and us is that when one of their guys busts, they just replace him with another blue chip player. We get stuck because we didn't "stack chips" as the kids like to say.

All this is true but that reloading allows them to be the Bama dynasty.

We mostly replace 4 stars with 4 stars but still don’t get production in line with their ranking and our basic goals.

That’s development.

Crazy question...Has the HC of IMG ever been invited to our campus in an informal setting like this? (not counting college tours or camps)
One thing specific to that program is the amount of turnover. They have a new HC just about every year and alot of their players are 1 year rentals. Tough to build consistent connections there.

He actually looks better to me, than he has in quite a few years, tbh.
He’s looking good man. Better and better actually. Lupus is no joke. I shake my head at some of these CIS dudes cracking jokes about how he looks without really knowing what’s going on in the mans life regarding his health.

Advertisement

There's Haye makin noise again.

I wonder if Davis would have been a take if Cristobal was here? I'm rooting for him to show out big. Given our JV coach, our options were limited in recruiting, but this kid definitely looked like he might prove some guys wrong.

I know of another coach who won a national championship whose background was an offensive coordinator, yet for five recruiting cycles he was only able to sign two quarterbacks and six wide receivers. His offense eventually broke down, he didn’t have the personnel to run it. Even though these positions would have been his speciality and he had the cache of a national title.

Seems vaguely familiar...old guy who used to clap a lot...

Advertisement

Not going 8-4 period. Manny would have maybe got to 8-4. Penn st might go 8-4!

Advertisement
Back