Spring Spring PractiSe 8

I wonder if Davis would have been a take if Cristobal was here? I'm rooting for him to show out big. Given our JV coach, our options were limited in recruiting, but this kid definitely looked like he might prove some guys wrong.
My opinion.... **** NO. No knock on Davis but I don't even think Mario would've batted an eye at him. His mold/size just doesn't fit what Mario apparently wants.

Advertisement
My opinion.... **** NO. No knock on Davis but I don't even think Mario would've batted an eye at him. His mold/size just doesn't fit what Mario apparently wants.

That's what I was thinking. Hope he turns him into a monster anyway.

All this is true but that reloading allows them to be the Bama dynasty.

We mostly replace 4 stars with 4 stars but still don’t get production in line with their ranking and our basic goals.
That’s development.
I'm curious as to what our bust rate is compared to other similar schools. I don't really have the patience to go through every recruiting class and rate every guy but it would be an interesting study. I'd say we've been generally average in terms of which guys pan out and which don't at most positions but there's some glaring spots where almost every 4 star player we've gotten has been a disappointment (ahem...offensive line).

Also, I think fans tend to see a fairly high blue chip ratio and assume that's the case across the entire roster but it's definitely not. There are some positions where almost every player we sign is a blue chip (RB) and some positions where almost every guy was a 3 star recruit (LB). So while overall we've signed more than a handful of great players, they're not evenly distributed around the roster so we always have a couple of position groups that are loaded and a couple of position groups that are really weak. That's not an issue at a place like Alabama or Ohio State.

You mean before either QB had played a meaningful snap? Why would that be a point of grief or contention for anyone?

It's not a "point of grief or contention". It is simply an indication that a significant chunk of this board is reactionary and rushes to crown a guy on the basis of a few throws durng a spring game. People were acting like there was an obvious clear-cut winner when both TVD and Garcia played well.

It's also the basis of a million worthless arguments, when people should actually be patient and see how the real games play out (not to mention, "trust the coaches who watch every play", though I know that was hard with the Manny crew).

A lot of porsters rush to be "first" with their hot takes, so they can try to look like geniuses if their wild-*** guesses ever come true. It's just ridiculous.

It's not a "point of grief or contention". It is simply an indication that a significant chunk of this board is reactionary and rushes to crown a guy on the basis of a few throws durng a spring game. People were acting like there was an obvious clear-cut winner when both TVD and Garcia played well.

It's also the basis of a million worthless arguments, when people should actually be patient and see how the real games play out (not to mention, "trust the coaches who watch every play", though I know that was hard with the Manny crew).

A lot of porsters rush to be "first" with their hot takes, so they can try to look like geniuses if their wild-*** guesses ever come true. It's just ridiculous.

Definitely agree with some of the silly tendencies of posters. But, seems like a strawman to crusade against a contingency of fans that favor Garcia over TVD. I'm not sure that contingency actually exists. I'd imagine just about every real cane fan is pumped as **** about TVD and supports him as the guy (or at least I'd hope).

The current silliness I'm seeing is a contingency of fans seeking to denigrate Garcia, as if there is a need to be tribal and support only one of our QBs. I love our QB room and find it beyond weird when fans seem to think supporting TVD means needing to knock Garcia.

Advertisement

The funny thing is that most of the guys who watched the spring game and actually know anything about QB play said there was a clear cut winner... TVD

Not going 8-4 period. Manny would have maybe got to 8-4. Penn st might go 8-4!
8-4 year 1 for a coach Is fine, I think our offense is going to have growing pains with the new scheme and our defense has holes all over the place, we don't have one Miami caliber DE right now unless Mitchell Agude shows out. Our LB core currently is the same as last year which was probably the Worst in the last 30 years. CB is still a question mark as well. Mario went 8-4 his first season at Oregon and that's with a better OL and an NFL All Pro caliber QB. We all knew this going in though, Mario is the slow rebuild toward stability and there will be growing pains.

Year 1 8-9 Wins
Year 2 9-10 Wins
Year 3 and beyond 10+ Wins with the occasional 9-3 season.

I wonder if Davis would have been a take if Cristobal was here? I'm rooting for him to show out big. Given our JV coach, our options were limited in recruiting, but this kid definitely looked like he might prove some guys wrong.

He'd prove me wrong and I'd thank him for it. I didn't mind his tape, but I didn't love it either. Liked it better than Tyler's, who was being used almost exclusively as a rush end.

We've had guys like Armbrister and Stephen Morris come in unheralded and do something. But the whiffs are much greater than the hits (80-90% would be my guess). And finding a Greg Rousseau type is a white rhino situation. Manny always thought he was smarter than everyone else in the room though, so....

Advertisement
Definitely agree with some of the silly tendencies of posters. But, seems like a strawman to crusade against a contingency of fans that favor Garcia over TVD. I'm not sure that contingency actually exists. I'd imagine just about every real cane fan is pumped as **** about TVD and supports him as the guy (or at least I'd hope).

The current silliness I'm seeing is a contingency of fans seeking to denigrate Garcia, as if there is a need to be tribal and support only one of our QBs. I love our QB room and find it beyond weird when fans seem to think supporting TVD means needing to knock Garcia.
Man .. UM is SO fortunate to have both TVD and Garcia on board. TVD is by all reports improving over last year from the standpoint of consistency and accuracy along with excellent decision making. Believe the game has really slowed down for him which is huge. Garcia might be as good but definitely needs live fire snaps to gel. Hopefully he will be getting meaningful mop up duty in a lot of games this season and will be ready to take over in 2023 when TVD leaves for the NFL.

Just like the mysterious group of people who wanted Manny to return for a fourth year. Maybe there was one or two guys who hadn't given up on Manny last season but I'm pretty sure at least one of them was just trolling. The other 99.9% of the board was ready to move on. Even Manny's biggest supporters pretty much threw in the towel after Michigan State.

8-4 year 1 for a coach Is fine, I think our offense is going to have growing pains with the new scheme and our defense has holes all over the place, we don't have one Miami caliber DE right now unless Mitchell Agude shows out. Our LB core currently is the same as last year which was probably the Worst in the last 30 years. CB is still a question mark as well. Mario went 8-4 his first season at Oregon and that's with a better OL and an NFL All Pro caliber QB. We all knew this going in though, Mario is the slow rebuild toward stability and there will be growing pains.

Year 1 8-9 Wins
Year 2 9-10 Wins
Year 3 and beyond 10+ Wins with the occasional 9-3 season.
The assumption is the offense is going to have growing pains. We are talking about an offense that could not run the ball against anybody. And it definitely could not run on short yardage situations and within the red zone. Instead of relying completely on inside zone but are going to be doing more combo blocking. The run game is going to improve significantly. We lost Rambo and Hartley. The kid from Clemson is in no different situation than Rambo was coming in. Our youngsters at wide out are now in their second and third year and there will be a noticeable improvement at wide receiver. We are better at running back.

Who did we lose on defense? We just picked up 3 defensive linemen in the portal. The kid from UCLA was all-conference and so was the kid from UAB. We are going to run a bunch of cover 3 and look here we are going to pattern match and not spot drop. You have real pros running and coaching this defense. When you have a guy like Charlie Strong as your position coach you know you are cooking with gas. Let's see....Jonathan Patke or Charlie Strong. LoL, it is a toss up.

This team won 7 games and lost 3 games on the last possession with the worst coaching staff in the Power 5. This staff has forgotten more than the previous staff ever knew.

Cristobal did not have half the staff he has at Miami and he most certainly did not have Steele as the DC and a Broyles winner at OC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not going 8-4 period. Manny would have maybe got to 8-4. Penn st might go 8-4!

I don’t believe so either.

I am just accounting for a worst case type scenario.

Growing pains in new systems.!Bad breaks in a close games. Rash of injuries on both lines.

I'm curious as to what our bust rate is compared to other similar schools. I don't really have the patience to go through every recruiting class and rate every guy but it would be an interesting study. I'd say we've been generally average in terms of which guys pan out and which don't at most positions but there's some glaring spots where almost every 4 star player we've gotten has been a disappointment (ahem...offensive line).

Also, I think fans tend to see a fairly high blue chip ratio and assume that's the case across the entire roster but it's definitely not. There are some positions where almost every player we sign is a blue chip (RB) and some positions where almost every guy was a 3 star recruit (LB). So while overall we've signed more than a handful of great players, they're not evenly distributed around the roster so we always have a couple of position groups that are loaded and a couple of position groups that are really weak. That's not an issue at a place like Alabama or Ohio State.

All good points.

But teams with way fewer blue chip players across all positions have similar win loss percentages to us. That is a failure to properly use what we do have and cover what we don’t.

Bust is a strong word. Chad Thomas was not a bust but he didn’t live up to his five star rating. I believe we underachieve at a higher rate than most teams, but numbers would be needed to back that up empirically.

Blue chip percentage plus win percentage over a period of time would be a good start. I will see if anyone has compiled this in formation.

Advertisement
Did he have a good NFL career?

I honestly don't remember.
He's from my area. If I remember correctly, he got drafted, came home to west Tennessee and got shot in the leg. I don't think his NFL career ever really got off the ground. But, he was an absolute BEAST at Va Tech..

Advertisement
Back