Spring Spring PractiSe 8

The assumption is the offense is going to have growing pains. We are talking about an offense that could not run the ball against anybody. And it definitely could not run on short yardage situations and within the red zone. Instead of relying completely on inside zone but are going to be doing more combo blocking. The run game is going to improve significantly. We lost Rambo and Hartley. The kid from Clemson is in no different situation than Rambo was coming in. Our youngsters at wide out are now in their second and third year and there will be a noticeable improvement at wide receiver. We are better at running back.

Who did we lose on defense? We just picked up 3 defensive linemen in the portal. The kid from UCLA was all-conference and so was the kid from UAB. We are going to run a bunch of cover 3 and look here we are going to pattern match and not spot drop. You have real pros running and coaching this defense. When you have a guy like Charlie Strong as your position coach you know you are cooking with gas. Let's see....Jonathan Patke or Charlie Strong. LoL, it is a toss up.

This team won 7 games and lost 3 games on the last possession with the worst coaching staff in the Power 5. This staff has forgotten more than the previous staff ever knew.

Cristobal did not have half the staff he has at Miami and he most certainly did not have Steele as the DC and a Broyles winner at OC.
It's not so much about who we lost on defense vs who we gained. Our Front 7 has MAJOR question marks. They have been getting pushed around by an average OL all spring and our DBs have been getting torched by an offense just learning their next playbook. Unless our OL somehow became a very very good unit in a few months our front 7 is week in the trenches. Mitchell Agude is really the only big addition other then recruits who likely won't be physically ready to play Year 1. Harvey and Chantz have been huge disappointments, are we all of sudden expecting them to turn it around??

Advertisement
It's not so much about who we lost on defense vs who we gained. Our Front 7 has MAJOR question marks. They have been getting pushed around by an average OL all spring and our DBs have been getting torched by an offense just learning their next playbook. Unless our OL somehow became a very very good unit in a few months our front 7 is week in the trenches. Mitchell Agude is really the only big addition other then recruits who likely won't be physically ready to play Year 1. Harvey and Chantz have been huge disappointments, are we all of sudden expecting them to turn it around??
You off your meds again?

All good points.

But teams with way fewer blue chip players across all positions have similar win loss percentages to us. That is a failure to properly use what we do have and cover what we don’t.

Bust is a strong word. Chad Thomas was not a bust but he didn’t live up to his five star rating. I believe we underachieve at a higher rate than most teams, but numbers would be needed to back that up empirically.

Blue chip percentage plus win percentage over a period of time would be a good start. I will see if anyone has compiled this in formation.
I think it's fair to say Miami has underachieved. We've certainly had a problem with stubborn coaches trying to fit square pegs into round holes or sticking with outdated schemes. Hard to win games when you're actively sabotaging your own team. Still, I don't think we've had this huge talent advantage that a lot of fans seem to think we've had. (fans tend to overrate and over-hype their own guys and then get mad when they don't meet expectations) Over the last 15 years, Miami has averaged just under 8 wins a season. (including the shortened 2020 year and years they sanctioned themselves from bowls) Given the exact same players, would a better coaching staff have really won that much more? Instead of 8 wins a year, maybe nine? Ten if we're being optimistic. It's why I'm expecting roughly 9-3 this upcoming season. Now, had a better staff been here the whole time, they probably would have recruited better and our average wins number would likely be higher but that gets back to my main point. Recruit better and win more games.

How do you know they are getting pushed around? There are a ton of kids not participating. How do you know the kids from UCLA and UAB are not starting. Both were all-conference performers. Stevenson is out. The kid from WVU is not on campus. The 4-star corners are not on campus. Who says the corners are getting consistently beaten? We have linebackers like Chase Smith out, too.

How do you know they are getting pushed around? There are a ton of kids not participating. How do you know the kids from UCLA and UAB are not starting. Both were all-conference performers. Stevenson is out. The kid from WVU is not on campus. The 4-start corners are not on campus. Who says the corners are getting consistently beaten? We have linebackers like Chase Smith out, too.
Reports from practice have been saying TVD is lighting it up. True Freshman CBs likely won't make a big impact. I read a practice report the other day saying RBs weren't getting touched until they were 5 yards past the LOS. UAB DT is more of a rotational DL. Mitchell Agude and Stevenson have a shot to make a big impact though

Advertisement
Reports from practice have been saying TVD is lighting it up. True Freshman CBs likely won't make a big impact. I read a practice report the other day saying RBs weren't getting touched until they were 5 yards past the LOS. UAB DT is more of a rotational DL. Mitchell Agude and Stevenson have a shot to make a big impact though
There was a report that Franklin was not getting touched. Do you know if it was against the 1s or 2s or 3s and scout? No, you do not. The kid from UAB is playing end where he played before being forced inside. Talented true freshmen corners can play immediately. Happens at big programs.

You also assume we are done in the portal.

Btw QBs light it up in spring because they are not getting hit or under duress. Van Dyke should be lighting it up. He is going in the first round of the 2023 draft.

Advertisement
Usually the defense is ahead of the offense early in spring. Especially when they're installing a new offensive system.

That hasn't been the case here at all.

Hopefully it's because we have the best QB in the nation and an incredible collection of skill players paired with a reinvigorated and improved offensive line.

There was a report that Franklin was not getting touched. Do you know if it was against the 1s or 2s or 3s and scout? No, you do not. The kid from UAB is playing end where he played before being forced inside. Talented true freshmen corners can play immediately. Happens at big programs.

You also assume we are done in the portal.

Btw QBs light it up in spring because they are not getting hit or under duress. Van Dyke should be lighting it up. He is going in the first round of the 2023 draft.
He's actually playing inside, he played outside last season

Advertisement
Has anyone seen reports of OL vs DL in short yardage scenarios?
I snuck up the stairs overlooking the field the other day (I posted it somewhere) and watched a few running drills (not necessarily short yardage/goal line like you're asking). Unlike every poster here, I am not an OL or DL expert so I'm not sure what was good OL play or bad DL play, but the little I saw was feast or famine. The D had a few plays where they likely held the backs to -1,0, or 1 yard but a couple others where there were some big holes.

Who hasn’t TVD lit up? Your Heisman candidate qb is gonna light it up at practice

Advertisement
I think it's fair to say Miami has underachieved. We've certainly had a problem with stubborn coaches trying to fit square pegs into round holes or sticking with outdated schemes. Hard to win games when you're actively sabotaging your own team. Still, I don't think we've had this huge talent advantage that a lot of fans seem to think we've had. (fans tend to overrate and over-hype their own guys and then get mad when they don't meet expectations) Over the last 15 years, Miami has averaged just under 8 wins a season. (including the shortened 2020 year and years they sanctioned themselves from bowls) Given the exact same players, would a better coaching staff have really won that much more? Instead of 8 wins a year, maybe nine? Ten if we're being optimistic. It's why I'm expecting roughly 9-3 this upcoming season. Now, had a better staff been here the whole time, they probably would have recruited better and our average wins number would likely be higher but that gets back to my main point. Recruit better and win more games.

In 2019, if you trade Enos for Lashlee, we win Florida, UNC, Georgia Tech, and FIU EASY.

We lost to Duke by 10 and Vag Tech by 7, so even those games are in reach. N’Kosi or Jarren would have been much better. We saw what Lashlee’s offense would have looked like first drive against Florida and his inside zone would have been devastating with DJ as opposed to all the wasted outside zones with two freshman tackles.

We go 11-1 to 9-3 LAST YEAR with Mario. Corching has cost us multiple games a season for a while now.

It is that big a deal even with the roster issues. Thing is, everybody outside the top 5 has roster issues. We don’t have a huge advantage and 15-0 is just off-season hype. But there ain’t no talent argument that justifies us losing 5 or six games in a season.

The days of force feeding systems is over. There is too much parity outside the top 5 for that bullshyt. Coaching is more important than ever.

We recruit at a top 15 level but consistently have 30-50 results. Let Gattis have been oc here instead of Richt. People would have a much higher opinion of Rosier.

Now none of this means we won’t drop games to a mediocre opponent, most everybody does. But one division title in 18 years in THIS division with OUR recruiting level tells me the corching has been worse than the talent.

All that said, I’m glad we got Mario out on the trail chasing alpha dogs lol.

Even this is understated. I think we're unnecessarily thin inside. If Haye can give us even decent #4 DT snaps (especially at the 1Tish spot), it would ripple across the line. I still would love a starting level portal DT, but I'd also love a few high level portal defenders, so I won't be picky.
I'm not sure what we're missing at DT. We have HH and LT, followed by Lichtenstein and Miller. All 4 with experience and Lichtenstein started several games for USC.

Haye on the come up would give us 5 quality DTs in rotation. Perhaps we need 1 more DT as we're not hearing any other DT names on the roster.

Roberts and Moultrie can move down inside in certain situations giving us some versatility.

So, I don't know if we need another DT from the Portal and I don’t know how you would convince anyone to come in and be #3-#6 unless they are young and/or have elite skills that can push for starter minutes.

In 2019, if you trade Enos for Lashlee, we win Florida, UNC, Georgia Tech, and FIU EASY.

We lost to Duke by 10 and Vag Tech by 7, so even those games are in reach. N’Kosi or Jarren would have been much better. We saw what Lashlee’s offense would have looked like first drive against Florida and his inside zone would have been devastating with DJ as opposed to all the wasted outside zones with two freshman tackles.

We go 11-1 to 9-3 LAST YEAR with Mario. Corching has cost us multiple games a season for a while now.

It is that big a deal even with the roster issues. Thing is, everybody outside the top 5 has roster issues. We don’t have a huge advantage and 15-0 is just off-season hype. But there ain’t no talent argument that justifies us losing 5 or six games in a season.

The days of force feeding systems is over. There is too much parity outside the top 5 for that bullshyt. Coaching is more important than ever.

We recruit at a top 15 level but consistently have 30-50 results. Let Gattis have been oc here instead of Richt. People would have a much higher opinion of Rosier.

Now none of this means we won’t drop games to a mediocre opponent, most everybody does. But one division title in 18 years in THIS division with OUR recruiting level tells me the corching has been worse than the talent.

All that said, I’m glad we got Mario out on the trail chasing alpha dogs lol.
It has to be the coaching as all things being equal except recruiting where we've had the best recruiting classes in the Coastal nearly every year.

The improved recruiting, player development, and the financial commitment to football is going to push us over the top. We'll be on par with Clemson and most likely pass them like two freighter ships in the night.

Some would argue that Manny didn't have the financial support or the number of coaches, etc. True, but no one else in the conference did except Clemson. Manny was just not ready to be a head coach at the P5 level. Plus, his ego and arrogance hindered the program. Bottom line he just wasn't a good HC. It is glaringly obvious when you see what Mario has put together in a very short time.

Usually the defense is ahead of the offense early in spring. Especially when they're installing a new offensive system.

That hasn't been the case here at all.

Hopefully it's because we have the best QB in the nation and an incredible collection of skill players paired with a reinvigorated and improved offensive line.
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Back