Spring PractiSe #3 : Media today: Kevin Steele, Al Blades Jr., James Williams and DJ Ivey

Advertisement
How does 3 safety on the field work? Can someone explain?
In a 4-3 scheme, it’s simply taking out one LB and replacing him with a Safety. Think Nickel Personnel, if you will. It makes your 4-3 base defense a little faster and more athletic. In a 4-2-5 scheme, teams will employ 2 “low” safeties, and 1 “High” or post safety. The low safeties, will usually line up in the vicinity of where the OLBs would line up in the old 4-4 defense. As a matter of fact, Vs. some offensive alignments, you’d probably have to rub your eyes in disbelief, thinking that you’ve gotten lost in a time warp… because it looks just like a 4-4 defense. Against a running team, in many situations, it even “behaves” like a 4-4. Hope this helps.

How does 3 safety on the field work? Can someone explain?
A few different ways actually. I know the Titans used 3 safeties last year at times. Two would play as the deep safeties(Byard & Hooker) while one would be used to matchup on TEs(Cruikshank) especially the elite ones. Steele could be looking to do the same thing. Play Williams and Kitchens as the deep guys while moving Williams around to nickel, box safety(essentially a dime LB). Williams has the versatility due to his size and athleticism.

Advertisement
Advertisement
In a 4-3 scheme, it’s simply taking out one LB and replacing him with a Safety. Think Nickel Personnel, if you will. It makes your 4-3 base defense a little faster and more athletic. In a 4-2-5 scheme, teams will employ 2 “low” safeties, and 1 “High” or post safety. The low safeties, will usually line up in the vicinity of where the OLBs would line up in the old 4-4 defense. As a matter of fact, Vs. some offensive alignments, you’d probably have to rub your eyes in disbelief, thinking that you’ve gotten lost in a time warp… because it looks just like a 4-4 defense. Against a running team, in many situations, it even “behaves” like a 4-4. Hope this helps.
It’s pretty what we see on Saturdays and Sundays now. Just getting more speed and versatile athletes on the field

Advertisement
Some observations/notes from Gaby and Lake:

One of the major takeaways is that the first group has been the same on both sides of the line over the last two practices.

The left-to-right look on offense was Zion Nelson, Ousman Traore, Jakai Clark, Justice Oluwasesun, and DJ Scaife. Jalen Rivers and John Campbell were participants in all drills minus the ones where they went up against the defensive linemen.

Ryan Rodriguez was a guy I noticed Alex Mirabal coaching up. Michael McLaughlin looked like the second-team left tackle. He physically looks like he's trending the right way.

Jahfari Harvey, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Leonard Taylor, and Chantz Williams were the first defensive linemen out. Elijah Roberts did stretch alongside others who were out on Friday but didn't have any noticeable braces or anything like that. On Wednesday, he wore a brace on his right ankle.

The offensive linemen were working on double-team drills, so it didn't necessarily favor the defense, but one guy who I saw breakthrough was USC transfer Jake Lichtenstein.

Something notable I saw once the offensive and defensive line wrapped up was true freshman linebacker Wesley Bissainthe getting a look alongside Corey Flagg with the first-team defense up against the first-team offense led by Tyler Van Dyke.

- Tyler Van Dyke was the most consistent with his ball placement when throwing to the receivers on air. Jake Garcia showed the best ability to throw on the run when moving to his left when working on that drill. Jacurri Brown continues to show some good accuracy, but at times needs to be more consistent. He will have four good throws and then one throw that is poor.

- WR Key’Shawn Smith couldn’t come down with a 50-50 ball in the end-zone with Te’Cory Couch in coverage.

- I really like how this staff is emphasizing blocking in the run game with the tight end group. They work for close to 20 minutes on a combo blocking drill with the offensive tackles and head coach Mario Cristobal is assisting with the coaching in that drill. On one rep, Cristobal was praising the work that Zion Nelson and Elijah Arroyo were doing on a combo blocking drill.

- From what we could see, it looked like Henry Parrish was working with the first team offense while Thad Franklin was working with the second team.

- The first team defensive line appeared to be: DE Jahfari Harvey, DT Jared Harrison-Hunte, DT Leonard Taylor, and DE Chantz Williams. LBs Waynmon Steed and Keontra Smith were the first team linebackers on the inside run drills.

- The second team defensive tackles appeared to be Jake Lichtenstein and Allan Haye when I glanced at them.

- From what we could see, it appeared the first team offense beat the first team defense on the inside run drills.

- While we were out there during pass defense drills, the first team in the back seven appeared to be: CB DJ Ivey, Nickel Al Blades Jr., DB Avantae Williams, DB James Williams, CB Marcus Clarke, MLB Corey Flagg, and WLB Wesley Bissainthe.

- During half field passing drills in which UM had trips receivers lined up, Xavier Restrepo took a nice swing pass and followed the blocking receivers, outracing Keontra Smith and Avantae Williams to the pylon.

- On the same drill, Jacolby George showed nice elusiveness on a swing pass as well.
That d-line better be real quick because it is not big.

Advertisement
James could be a Kyle Hamilton clone. They are the same size and weight and they appear to be using him the same at single high
I was just at the Atlanta Hawks game with Kyle’s dad. Kyle is a tough comparison. Kyle is a play making safety At 6’4”. His big jump was between his freshman and sophomore year. But I agree that James has some pretty amazing physical tools.

When did Tae become the shoo-in starter?

Just because Kam is out with injury doesn’t mean he’s automatically gonna be on the bench.

They’re most likely going to be running with 3 Safeties on the field together anyway, so Tae will be the Nickel Safety, but if you think Kam won’t be a starter this season you’ll be surprised.
Potentially our 3 best defensive players all play safety. They will all need to be on the field. The coaches will just have to figure out how.

I think Brown is fighting Thad for that “move the pile/keep the chains moving/goal line, 4th quarter bruiser” role. If he doesn’t get that, it could be trouble for him. I like the kid too. He’s got a chance to shine in the Spring because it’s only him, Thad and Parrish. He has to cease the moment and realize come Fall things get a lot harder and the walls start closing in in that RB room.
Brown isn't the talent Thad is and I think moving on will likely be in his best interest..

Advertisement
Back