Spring Spring PractiSe #2

Something that’s not talked about a lot here, at least that I’ve seen, is Rambo and his very strong hands, which is so important to a wide receiver, especially that type of wide receiver.

How many one on one or 50/50 balls did Rambo snatch either in the end zone or on big plays? It seem to have been quite a bit.

I guess my question with the receiving corps is who is the guy that’s going to stretch the defense, the deep threat, and I guess you’re saying Smith is that guy.

OK then, who is the guy that’s going to be the 50/50 back-shoulder-throw guy. The one with strong hands and strong body positioning that van Dyke will be comfortable throwing a 50/50 ball to?
Brashard & Keyshawn are the deep threats, the 50/50 guys are tbd.

Most likely will be Restrepo & Arroyo, could be George as well.

Advertisement
Curious, bud, because you follow these kids way more than I do. When you say "career," are you limiting that to college or also including HS? I don't remember much of his recruitment other than the name, but I'm wondering if he produced in HS or was more of a project based on measurables?
He had a good season his Senior year with 50 catches & over 1,000yds, but hasn’t done much in college.

And yes he’s been injured a lot, but even when he was healthy Clemson mostly used him as a decoy.

He’s gonna have to show something this offseason, hopefully the light comes on & plays well.

Advertisement

I'm glad our coordinators wear shoes to their pressers.

1646856318108.png

Keyshawn is very explosive, that’s what you’re missing, he’s a legit low 4.4/ 4.3 player, he’s literally the 2nd fastest WR & among the top 5 fastest players on the roster.

I think maybe you’re misunderstanding me, I didn’t say he wasn’t tough or didn’t have heart, when I say he needs to improve his physicality at the point of attack I mean at the line of scrimmage fighting off the press man coverage, when corners got physical with him in bump & run he didn’t fair as well, but against off-zone coverage he ate his man up in most matchups.

Keyshawn’s best ability is as a deep threat WR, trying to make him a possession WR is mistake. The chain-mover short/intermediate route guys should be Restrepo. Mallory & Arroyo, Key is at his best when he’s in full stride running down the field, he can be a bubble screen guy too but his best asset is as a deep route runner.
You might be right to the point of POI. But as far as his speed I didn't see much separation in full stride and he got hawked a couple times. Thats why I said I feel he needs to improve on route running and creating more separation or finding space or running into it.

But in regards to him as a possession receiver...he did a pretty fuggin good job of it last year, have to disagree saying that's a mistake. You say he's a deep threat, I say he's possession...why not be both and be a complete star WR that can be relied upon for any situation?

But with that being said, Ill just leave this here and let it speak for itself.

Side note, I meant 3rd best last year in terms of production behind Rambo and Harley.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let me help dispel some made up CIS narratives…

Keyshawn and Rambo are both very explosive and can beat you deep … Rambo did it all last season??

Brashard and X can get separation against anybody and beat you deep.

George can create separation and beat you deep.

Mello, Ladson, and Redding can win contested match ups and beat you deep.

Its insane how lucky we are to have a 2 Star recruit walk into our program and be a 4 year starter at LT...
Right! My barber and his hs coach (he played about 30 minutes from me) are best friends, and he said he's never seen a kid work so hard and be so coachable. He was the only lineman who looked like they belonged on the same field with bama, kid is really good, and with the level of oline coaching he'll receive this season, I do believe he will be a first rounder for us.

Advertisement
He’s been talked about plenty by @IndayArtHauz & myself.

The reason why he’s not talked about more on the board is because most fans assumed that Ladson was going to waltz into Greentree & takeover because they think HS recruiting ratings automatically determines future success, but truth is he has A LOT to prove because he’s never been a dominant WR & has barely produced thus far in his career, injuries be damned.

And Key is not much like Rambo at all, he’s way faster & a different style route runner, also have a different physical frame. Rambo is Flanker WR who can move the chains & make tough contested catches against press man, his strong suit is the intermediate routes & specifically running back shoulders, curls & comebacks.

Key is a stretch the field Deep threat that can take the top off the Defense, that specializes in Post/Corner & Digs, he’s at his best when he’s outside stemming forcing his man to commit to the Out route & then hitting’em with a Post, he usually has his man beat by a step & half when he’s in full stride.

What he has to work on the most is physicality at the point of attack, that’s where he struggled vs FSU last year when he matched up with Omarion Cooper, but otherwise he has everything needed to be a top tier WR.

He’s the most talented WR on the roster IMO, it’s just a matter of continuing to maturate & put it all together.

Great post El.

We got potential all over that room. The guys just have to get game ready. Key, George, and Brinson all have number 1 talent, they just got to get their games polished and well rounded.

Then got X and Brashard in the slot? I still haven’t given up on Redding. That play he got mugged against Bama shows he has value.

Do you think Key has the arm length to beat physical coverage or is it his footwork and ability to dip his shoulders that is his obstacle to the next level?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back