Spring Spring PractiSe #2

How can you definitively say that when they haven’t been coached by THIS elite coaching staff? I’m specifically talking about Justice and Ousman.

I actually thought Justice played well when he stepped in at the Bama game. Surprised to not see more of him the rest of the season. Ousman is a solid depth piece. I imagine he goes back to the bench when Rivers is back. An OL of Zion-Rivers-Clark-Sagapolu- and Scaife/Campbell/Justice at RT aint bad.

Advertisement
Gaby:

Looks like the 1 receivers are Keyshawn, X, and Jacolby
The 3 can be lethal with Mallory/Arroyo at TE & Rooster/Parrish coming out of the backfield.
Those are 3 shifty WR's that can explode in and out of their breaks.

I don't think any of those guys scare a defense deep, but they can be mismatches in space. We'll be playing basketball on turf.

Agreed, but it's 100x better than Zaxsby's.

Yeah; not sure why that jawn even exist. Lol.

Regardless, still love what Mario is doing. Long gone are the days where guys r treating f’ing ice cream & popsicles from the hood ice cream truck. F.

I’ll say this, Frank Ladson looks the part. Looks physically like he plays in the league now. If he stays healthy and puts it all together, he could be a legit #1 option.

A lot of if’s but I like the potential of this WR group a lot.

Advertisement
Man why is no one mentioning Keyshawn Smith? He's running with the 1s and was the 3rd best receiver last year behind Rambo and Harley and has the best hands on the team. Keyshawn to me is a Rambo clone (same height weight, makes difficult catches, not the most explosive) just needs to keep working on his route running and finding space
Small issue with saying he was third best (I’ve been told he was 1b to Rambo’s 1a and that they were “too similar” to see the field at the same time) but otherwise this is the best post in the thread.

KeySmiff2022

Man why is no one mentioning Keyshawn Smith? He's running with the 1s and was the 3rd best receiver last year behind Rambo and Harley and has the best hands on the team. Keyshawn to me is a Rambo clone (same height weight, makes difficult catches, not the most explosive) just needs to keep working on his route running and finding space
He’s been talked about plenty by @IndayArtHauz & myself.

The reason why he’s not talked about more on the board is because most fans assumed that Ladson was going to waltz into Greentree & takeover because they think HS recruiting ratings automatically determines future success, but truth is he has A LOT to prove because he’s never been a dominant WR & has barely produced thus far in his career, injuries be damned.

And Key is not much like Rambo at all, he’s way faster & a different style route runner, also have a different physical frame. Rambo is Flanker WR who can move the chains & make tough contested catches against press man, his strong suit is the intermediate routes & specifically running back shoulders, curls & comebacks.

Key is a stretch the field Deep threat that can take the top off the Defense, that specializes in Post/Corner & Digs, he’s at his best when he’s outside stemming forcing his man to commit to the Out route & then hitting’em with a Post, he usually has his man beat by a step & half when he’s in full stride.

What he has to work on the most is physicality at the point of attack, that’s where he struggled vs FSU last year when he matched up with Omarion Cooper, but otherwise he has everything needed to be a top tier WR.

He’s the most talented WR on the roster IMO, it’s just a matter of continuing to maturate & put it all together.

Advertisement

The reason why he’s not talked about more on the board is because most fans assumed that Ladson was going to waltz into Greentree & takeover because they think HS recruiting ratings automatically determines future success, but truth is he has A LOT to prove because he’s never been a dominant WR & has barely produced thus far in his career, injuries be damned.

And Key is not much like Rambo at all, he’s way faster & a different style route runner, also have a different physical frame. Rambo is Flanker WR who can move the chains & make tough contested catches against press man, his strong suit is the intermediate routes & specifically running back shoulders, curls & comebacks.

Key is a stretch the field Deep threat that can take the top off the Defense, that specializes in Post/Corner & Digs, he’s at his best when he’s outside stemming forcing his man to commit to the Out route & then hitting’em with a Post, he usually has his man beat by a step & half when he’s in full stride.

What he has to work on the most is physicality at the point of attack, that’s where he struggled vs FSU last year when he matched up with Omarion Cooper, but otherwise he has everything needed to be a top tier WR.

He’s the most talented WR on the roster IMO, it’s just a matter of continuing to maturate & put it all together.
TVD throws that back shoulder ball so nicely... we need someone to step up and fill Rambo's shoes on that route

All I know is he and Rambo are the same height and weight, they have great hands and they're not the most explosive. Thats all I said.

And idk about all you just said. A couple things I agree with and disagree with. I personally feel Key can be an asset on 3rd down passing downs the most. Kid can catch any and everything and he's not afraid to take a hit. Got hella heart. Case in point the hit over the middle he took against UNC. Got rocked but bounced right back up talking cash money and lettin the DB know he made the catch and got the first. Could be a first down machine, barring injury, at the very least.

Curious, bud, because you follow these kids way more than I do. When you say "career," are you limiting that to college or also including HS? I don't remember much of his recruitment other than the name, but I'm wondering if he produced in HS or was more of a project based on measurables?

Something that’s not talked about a lot here, at least that I’ve seen, is Rambo and his very strong hands, which is so important to a wide receiver, especially that type of wide receiver.

How many one on one or 50/50 balls did Rambo snatch either in the end zone or on big plays? It seem to have been quite a bit.

I guess my question with the receiving corps is who is the guy that’s going to stretch the defense, the deep threat, and I guess you’re saying Smith is that guy.

OK then, who is the guy that’s going to be the 50/50 back-shoulder-throw guy. The one with strong hands and strong body positioning that van Dyke will be comfortable throwing a 50/50 ball to?

Advertisement
it's great to say that you have a lot of weapons and it's the OC's job to scheme them open, but you can't go through a whole season trying to win at a high level with your OC having to call the right play to get your receivers open every single time. you also need guys who can just flat out beat the CB in front of them, or consistently catch 50/50 balls to the point where they're no longer 50/50 balls anymore. we had this w/ Rambo last year and I think it's fair to wonder if we have that kind of guy on the roster right now.

the fact of the matter is our leading returning receiver averaged about 3 catches and 33 yards per game last year. now, nobody thought Rambo was a 1,200 yard receiver at this point last year either, so guys can grow, and maybe we'll be sitting here at this point next year looking at Smith or whoever as a 1,000 yard receiver. but I have no issue w/ anyone who thinks we need to further address the position thru the portal -- and if you look at our portal offers it seems like the staff agrees.

This guy is gonna be a superstar.

Watching him coach and the way he presents himself has “Championship”written all over it.

You can see why his guys perform well and why he is so highly regarded.

I think these receivers will grow up fast this summer. Hate Brinson is hurt. He can make contested catches deep. These guys can get vertical if they refine their technique. Their footwork needs to be improved. Fix it with focus and dedication and this will be our best group in a long time.

Advertisement
All I know is he and Rambo are the same height and weight, they have great hands and they're not the most explosive. Thats all I said.

And idk about all you just said. A couple things I agree with and disagree with. I personally feel Key can be an asset on 3rd down passing downs the most. Kid can catch any and everything and he's not afraid to take a hit. Got hella heart. Case in point the hit over the middle he took against UNC. Got rocked but bounced right back up talking cash money and lettin the DB know he made the catch and got the first. Could be a first down machine, barring injury, at the very least.
Keyshawn is very explosive, that’s what you’re missing, he’s a legit low 4.4/ 4.3 player, he’s literally the 2nd fastest WR & among the top 5 fastest players on the roster.

I think maybe you’re misunderstanding me, I didn’t say he wasn’t tough or didn’t have heart, when I say he needs to improve his physicality at the point of attack I mean at the line of scrimmage fighting off the press man coverage, when corners got physical with him in bump & run he didn’t fair as well, but against off-zone coverage he ate his man up in most matchups.

Keyshawn’s best ability is as a deep threat WR, trying to make him a possession WR is mistake. The chain-mover short/intermediate route guys should be Restrepo. Mallory & Arroyo, Key is at his best when he’s in full stride running down the field, he can be a bubble screen guy too but his best asset is as a deep route runner.

I liked the Ladson pick up mostly because I felt our WR group was already pretty good and we don't NEED him to be incredible. This isn't a Rambo or Osborne type of situation where we have no other option. If Ladson stays healthy (big if) and balls out, then all the better. But if he struggles with injuries or doesn't produce, it's not the end of the world. We've got capable players at the spot.

I just hope we don't have any more of these players full of potential that just never develops. Smiff has the goods, I want to see that translated to yards, first downs, and points. I'm tired of one awesome play, then fade back into the background.

Advertisement
Back