Spring practice observations at the midpoint

So we never had a player over 5 or 6 sacks under Gorlden? smh if true..

Sack leaders since 2011

2014 - Thurston Armbrister 5
2013- Tyriq McCord 4
2012- Anthony Chickillo 4
2011- Anthony Chickillo/Marcus Robinson 5

**** is absolutely pathetic

Yes it is. Unfortunately for everyone that cares about Canes football, those are good statistics. Means all the DT's held there gap and allowed the DE's to drop back in coverage. Remember bend don't break. When will this nightmare end :onfire:

Advertisement
i must say as much as want to get hyped about this season i am going to reserve judgment, Offensivly we must protect brad by all cost so that mean we need be balanced joe and gus must produce in the run game and you also throw gray and walton as well, i think berrios and malcom could have nice year in the slot, on defense i only one thing to say ATTACK. I would rather lose throwing punches then getting punched on

So we have couple good RBs., lot of questions on defense and some promise on Oline. WRs should be good. Sounds like every other year since Golden got here. Difference is we have a Miami caliber QB for the first time. So if Golden does not sacrifice Brad for the sake of his sad excuse for a defense, we maybe win one or two more games. Disappointment on NSD, early hope in next year's class and soft practice angainst each other -- same old story. Not buying in this year. Same coach every day = same team every year.

Advertisement
Swear I haven't been hitting the kool-aid, but believe the strength of the defense coming out of the spring will be the DL. Maybe that's an indictment of the DBs and LBs. Obviously, hinges greatly on coaching and scheme. But see more athleticism and speed than we've had at DE with Muhammad and Chad Thomas, a year of playing experience/weight room for Trent Harris and Anthony Moten, and potential in redshirts Demetrius Jackson and Mike Smith. McCord could also play some here and LB.

Defensive tackles aren't spectacular individually, but Kamalu, Heurtelou (if healthy) and Courtel Jenkins are serviceable. Wyche never was a factor last year and made his most memorable plays diving onto piles, but in better condition and with a year of spring ball there's hope. Moten could also be a factor here and who knows where and if Jelani Hamilton fits in.

Ideally, McIntosh and the other freshmen - Patchan, Norton, Fines - will join Gerald Willis on the scout team.

"This was a poor excuse for a report. There wasn't a single mention of the punting game....or cats." -Susan Miller Degnan

Advertisement
Advertisement
Anything on Terry McCray and Mike Smith?

I want to know as well

It's interesting, both of those guys were pure pass rushers in HS but are converting to linebacker at Miami (SAM for Smith, MIKE for McCray).

Smith has shown some flashes but still not back to the explosiveness he showed in HS. Haven't seen much from McCray.

D$, What is your opinion of those two moves(Smith at Sam and McCray at Mike).? To me McCray to Mike doesn't make much sense. I saw nothing in his film that would lead me to project him there. Also I thought that the plan was for Smith to start at Mike.

In my humble opinion both of these guys are either WOLB(Jack in the 3-4) or Will in the 4-3 but what the heck do I know. Curious what the coaches on these boards like Macho think.

Advertisement
D$, What is your opinion of those two moves(Smith at Sam and McCray at Mike).? To me McCray to Mike doesn't make much sense. I saw nothing in his film that would lead me to project him there. Also I thought that the plan was for Smith to start at Mike.

In my humble opinion both of these guys are either WOLB(Jack in the 3-4) or Will in the 4-3 but what the heck do I know. Curious what the coaches on these boards like Macho think.

I thought Smith was a rush end because he's not coordinated enough to play in space. He got exposed pretty bad at the Golden camp. Smith was dominant at times as a pass rusher in high school (St. Thomas game) but the knee injury set him back.

McCary, I'm not crazy about anywhere. He relies on finesse and athleticism but he's not fast enough to play that game.

Anything on Terry McCray and Mike Smith?

I want to know as well

It's interesting, both of those guys were pure pass rushers in HS but are converting to linebacker at Miami (SAM for Smith, MIKE for McCray).

Smith has shown some flashes but still not back to the explosiveness he showed in HS. Haven't seen much from McCray.

We are so F'd at linebacker. I really don't care what scheme we run, as long as it works. However, if we don't have enough good linebackers, then why are we running a scheme that requires more of them to be on the field. Boggles the mind. The exact opposite of what a good coach would do.

didnt kaaya throw for more Td's than Winston?

One more, but Winston won more games I think.

People hyping Kayaa might want to temper their expectations. look at hackenberg at PSU. (Similar freshman stats and player type). The fans hyping him up for the Heisman after his true freshman year were the first ones to scream he sucks after he struggled his sophomore year.

Look at FSU when they lost their center, Freeman, and Benjamin, their offense sputtered for half a season until Cook got going.

Gus and Yearby aren't Duke, dobard has only caught a few passes, flowers is gone with a shaky depth situation. None of the other WRs have really done anything, (but I know I know Scott and Coley know it's their contract year, so watch out).

Staff changes have obviously had their effect in recruiting, but let's see what happens on gameday. Coley has never worked with QBs, I wouldn't be surprised at all If Kayaa regressed, no disrespect to him. Teams now know what routes he likes, which pressures and looks bother him, etc. they will gameplan for him and its up to Coley to get him ready.

he is a 1/2 round NFL talent, but Golden track record of using NFL talent isnt a cause for excitement.

Hack's system changed around him. Hard to pin the "Regression" on him. Penn State had zero offensive gameplan in 2014.

I thought Smith was a rush end because he's not coordinated enough to play in space. He got exposed pretty bad at the Golden camp. Smith was dominant at times as a pass rusher in high school (St. Thomas game) but the knee injury set him back.

McCary, I'm not crazy about anywhere. He relies on finesse and athleticism but he's not fast enough to play that game.

Hence why we are recruiting 5-7 LBsthis cycle. Pending progress someone could be shown the door

Advertisement
Back