Spring practice observations at the midpoint

DMoola is the Lucy to my Charlie Brown. I'm all in. He ain't pulling that ball away this time.

I'm going out on a limb here, but we're going undefeated. UM is back!

Advertisement
I'm on a mobile so can't search. Could someone look up some observations from last year's practices, so we can compare the results to the optimism (if they were optimistic).

Here is the write up from last year's camp. It only focused on the incoming class. Greentree practices are only worth so much, but I'd say this was pretty accurate in predicting how the players would perform in year one. Note that this came at a time when some dummies in the media were saying Heaps was a shoo-in to start.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/77643-My-thoughts-on-the-freshman-class-(long)

By the way, I'm not saying we will be good. I have serious reservations about OL and coaching. I do think we will win more than 6 games if Kaaya is healthy because he is that good.

Thanks for that link. It certainly provides perspective.

I think we're making too much of Kaaya's abilities. I don't believe he had one moment, last season, where he carried the team, overcame the shortcomings of the D, and stole us a win. He shows me no sign of the gunslinger mentality that can overcome great competition. Even Morris had that, but not the accuracy.

It's not even the players. It's the CORCHING that plans not to lose, that neuters initiative and aggression, that's bogged down by sloganeering.

He was a TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!! Jesus, you really have no clue. Best qb in the acc as a TRUE FRESHMAN you're still not happy. Wow

I tried to tell y'all 8-4 this year. When you have a good QB and the other team doesn't, you will win 8 out of 10 times. QB's make coaches look good, Brad Kaaya will save Al Golden's job this year.

I'm on a mobile so can't search. Could someone look up some observations from last year's practices, so we can compare the results to the optimism (if they were optimistic).

Here is the write up from last year's camp. It only focused on the incoming class. Greentree practices are only worth so much, but I'd say this was pretty accurate in predicting how the players would perform in year one. Note that this came at a time when some dummies in the media were saying Heaps was a shoo-in to start.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/77643-My-thoughts-on-the-freshman-class-(long)

By the way, I'm not saying we will be good. I have serious reservations about OL and coaching. I do think we will win more than 6 games if Kaaya is healthy because he is that good.

I think we're making too much of Kaaya's abilities. I don't believe he had one moment, last season, where he carried the team, overcame the shortcomings of the D, and stole us a win. He shows me no sign of the gunslinger mentality that can overcome great competition. Even Morris had that, but not the accuracy.

It's not even the players. It's the CORCHING that plans not to lose, that neuters initiative and aggression, that's bogged down by sloganeering.

He was a TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!! Jesus, you really have no clue. Best qb in the acc as a TRUE FRESHMAN you're still not happy. Wow

So, we had THE BEST QB IN THE ACC, yet we were still 6-7. Next year, we will not have Duke, or Warlord. However, we will still have our wonderful corches. I don't blame Kaaya, or any players. Grolden's and Coley's timid mediocrity is incapable of bringing out the best in their players. After FOUR years of this LOSER, we haven't improved one iota.

Advertisement

So, we had THE BEST QB IN THE ACC, yet we were still 6-7. Next year, we will not have Duke, or Warlord. However, we will still have our wonderful corches. I don't blame Kaaya, or any players. Grolden's and Coley's timid mediocrity is incapable of bringing out the best in their players. After FOUR years of this LOSER, we haven't improved one iota.

Referring to the qb play not the team as a whole. You said he didn't carry the team. .. i was pointing out the he was a true freshman, what do you expect from a guy that came in late and still shined. He's a once in a decade type of talent. No reason to trash the guy.

Advertisement
I tried to tell y'all 8-4 this year. When you have a good QB and the other team doesn't, you will win 8 out of 10 times. QB's make coaches look good, Brad Kaaya will save Al Golden's job this year.
Don't get your expectations out of kilter. 8-4 would be a miracle turnaround. This is a very young team with low talent and no depth.

Don't get your expectations out of kilter. 8-4 would be a miracle turnaround. This is a very young team with low talent and no depth.

Talent is not the issue, soft/hold your hand/be your buddy coaching is the problem. Zero attitude.

Referring to the qb play not the team as a whole. You said he didn't carry the team. .. i was pointing out the he was a true freshman, what do you expect from a guy that came in late and still shined. He's a once in a decade type of talent. No reason to trash the guy.

He did not carry the team, but is a decent and promising QB. That's NOT trashing the guy. With real coaching he may develop into a gunslinger. He just hasn't shown that side (if he possesses it). The last "once in a decade" talent we had was Dorsey. Kaaya has a better arm, and is about as accurate. But Dorsey was a gunslinger. He could carry a team on his back, AND DID. Performance beats wishing, every time.

Advertisement
didnt kaaya throw for more Td's than Winston?

One more, but Winston won more games I think.

People hyping Kayaa might want to temper their expectations. look at hackenberg at PSU. (Similar freshman stats and player type). The fans hyping him up for the Heisman after his true freshman year were the first ones to scream he sucks after he struggled his sophomore year.

Look at FSU when they lost their center, Freeman, and Benjamin, their offense sputtered for half a season until Cook got going.

Gus and Yearby aren't Duke, dobard has only caught a few passes, flowers is gone with a shaky depth situation. None of the other WRs have really done anything, (but I know I know Scott and Coley know it's their contract year, so watch out).

Staff changes have obviously had their effect in recruiting, but let's see what happens on gameday. Coley has never worked with QBs, I wouldn't be surprised at all If Kayaa regressed, no disrespect to him. Teams now know what routes he likes, which pressures and looks bother him, etc. they will gameplan for him and its up to Coley to get him ready.

he is a 1/2 round NFL talent, but Golden track record of using NFL talent isnt a cause for excitement.

I expect more of the same: a starting 22 rich in individual talent that skids to 6 or 7 wins because of coaching.

3rd down conversion. This statistic cannot be understated. Even if it sounds too simple, fixing our play calling and execution on 3rd down will do wonders for this team. Last year's putrid 3rd down rate exposed a lot of holes on this team that could have been covered if we had just played better on that one down. The ability to move the chains one 3rd down has countless effects on the rest of the game:

It keeps the other team's defense on the field (wears them out). It keeps our defense off the field (more rest). It gives us a set of new downs (the nature of our team is big play ability so we get 3 extra chances to make a big play down the field).

If we achieve a similar 3rd down success rate next year, all of this spring hype will mean absolutely nothing. If we fix this issue, which by the way can be remedied by positive plays on 1st & 2nd down to make 3rd down more manageable, then I think next year's squad has a chance to get a lot more wins.

Advertisement
5-7 if we are lucky. Brutal stretch in October. No depth on defense, especially at LB and CB. Below average safety play in a cover 3 and no pass rush. "But Quan, Chad and McCord!" Don't care. We have never had someone with more than 5 or 6 sacks in a season with this staff and scheme. Better pray to God that Kaaya can stay healthy or then we are truly ****ed.

So we never had a player over 5 or 6 sacks under Gorlden? smh if true..

Sack leaders since 2011

2014 - Thurston Armbrister 5
2013- Tyriq McCord 4
2012- Anthony Chickillo 4
2011- Anthony Chickillo/Marcus Robinson 5

**** is absolutely pathetic

Advertisement
Back