Spring Practice 4/19 - Early Portion Notes

Advertisement
In the NFL yes, but not in college. Just like in college short CBs can still be studs.

Very rarely do these guys go up against elite talent game after game. Even then, guys with short arms have excelled with good feet or great technique. Billy Price has 32" arms and was great at OSU. Will Hernandez and Braden Smith are both less than 32.5", Mason Cole is 32.25 and Will Clapp from LSU has 31.25, which is really short (got that from Walter so not sure the accuracy). McDermott played tackled for us last year with 32.5"

Last year, Forrest Lamp had incredibly short arms (<31.5), but was viewed as the top guard in the draft.
And Gaynors arms look like they're 30". Its definitely a problem. Theres a reason all the Best OLineman that move on to the NFL have the good arm lenght.

Disappointing development and evaluations thus far. Sweat droplets are starting to form on Searles forehead.

Position group's are usually as strong as a teams primary recruiting base. I don't see a bunch of elite olineman coming out of South Florida yearly. Not enough to quickly fix the oline issues in only a couple years.

Position group's are usually as strong as a teams primary recruiting base. I don't see a bunch of elite olineman coming out of South Florida yearly. Not enough to quickly fix the oline issues in only a couple years.

I didn't realize there was an NCAA rule that forces teams to only recruit 20 square miles to get their OL.

Advertisement

South Florida has never provided enough quality O linemen. We’ve always had to dip out of the area and out of state.

Wet dream 2 deep

LT St. Louis / Herbert
LG Boulware / Scaife
C Gauthier / Gaynor
RG Hillery / Reed
RT Donaldson / Campbell

Scout team: Brown, Milo, Dykstra, Johnson, Jones, Mahoney

which would all be great EXCEPT:

1. mahoney played the best and most consistently of all the guards during spring,

2. hebert is a disaster. dude is clueless.

3. boulware isn't even on campus yet, so unless you're picking a lineup based on what he does on twitter, it's best to wait until he actually crosses the state line to see if he can help.

other than that, carry on

OLine definitely a concern going into the summer.. Hopefully the spring indicated that our DLine is just that good compared to our OLine being that bad!!

Some kids just joke around and have no awareness. It seems several of our players are like that. We are not that far removed from the infamous early season pictures. I would guess that several of the lineman just do not get it. Until we have some young guys come in and take spots these guys will persist to be in the lineup.

Advertisement
That’s being awfully hopeful. Reality is that we are way behind on talent and development along the OL. OL isn’t a spot where you should need let alone expect for true freshman to push for snaps.
I cannot deny that this is an accurate assessment. I am bullish however on the long range outlook for this unit. Long range being defined as 2-3 years. That being said I expect the OL to be quite solid next year(2019).

Some kids just joke around and have no awareness. It seems several of our players are like that. We are not that far removed from the infamous early season pictures. I would guess that several of the lineman just do not get it. Until we have some young guys come in and take spots these guys will persist to be in the lineup.
While the talent level is improving there is still a fair amount of dead weight to cut loose. This 2019 OL class is absolutely crucial.

The ol will change.

By the time the season rolls around and barring injury, it will look like this:

LT - Scaife, Brown
LG - Jones, Boulware
C - Gauthier, Gaynor
RG - Donaldson, Mahoney
RT - St Louis, Campbell

Herbert will redshirt to heal his shoulder.
So you believe that a true freshman(Scaife) is going to just waltz in, lockdown the starting LT position and in the process kick St.Louis back over to RT?

That would be amazing but not at all likely.

Last edited:
So you believe that a true freshman that hasn't arrived yet(Scaife) is going to just waltz in, lockdown the starting LT position and in the process kick St.Louis back over to RT?

That would be amazing but not at all likely.
**OL 1st team: LT St Louis LG Jones C Gauthier RG Mahoney RT Donaldson

**OL 2nd team: LT Brown LG Scaife C Gaynor RG Hillery RT Campbell

**OL 3rd team: Herbert Milo Dykstra

Advertisement
**OL 1st team: LT St Louis LG Jones C Gauthier RG Mahoney RT Donaldson

**OL 2nd team: LT Brown LG Scaife C Gaynor RG Hillery RT Campbell

**OL 3rd team: Herbert Milo Dykstra
LOL my bad! Was thinking of Reed for some reason. Nice catch.

LT is the most important position on the line aside from Center, what's bad about having your best lineman at LT?
Nothing, if they can handle it. But if not, you took a strength (a good RT) and created multiple weaknesses. If St. Louis can't handle LT then not only is LT still a weakness, but now so is RT, and possibly the Guard spot Donaldson just vacated. There's something to be said for leaving St. Louis at RT (solid), keeping ND at G (solid), and then playing the "best of the rest" (whoever wins a very open and intense competition) at LT and giving him some help.

I know LT is the most critical spot on the line, and honestly all this depends on just how good St. Louis is/isn't at LT (which none of us knows yet), but imo the worst possible scenario is for pressure to be coming from all over. I wouldn't mind getting the other 4 spots solidified and keep a back or TE in to help whoever wins the LT job. We have enough weapons at the skill positions to leave 1 eligible in to block and still be OK.

WTF? FML.
Richt has basically said of Williams that he doesn't know what he's doing, but he looks good doing it. Settle down, bro. Give the man a minute. Remember. He should be trying to lock down a date for the senior prom rather than QB#1 at Miami. If he looks good when he doesn't know what to do, imagine what he'll look like when he does.

Advertisement
I cannot deny that this is an accurate assessment. I am bullish however on the long range outlook for this unit. Long range being defined as 2-3 years. That being said I expect the OL to be quite solid next year(2019).
I would agree especially along the interior. Our 17 and 18 hauls are stout on paper. The big question though is at tackle. We have some athletes there but they are projects in Herbert, Hillery and Campbell. Sure you could kick Scaife out to Tackle but I wish we wouldn’t. He is a very good tackle prospect and an elite guard.

Advertisement
Back