Spring Practice 4/19 - Early Portion Notes

Herbert on transfer watch.

Edit: To be clear this isn't any "inside info", but just a recognition that 4* guys that take a shirt and then fail to contribute in year 2 often look for easier paths elsewhere. 3rd team tackle on a team desperate for tackles is not a good place to be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The ol will change.

By the time the season rolls around and barring injury, it will look like this:

LT - Scaife, Brown
LG - Jones, Boulware
C - Gauthier, Gaynor
RG - Donaldson, Mahoney
RT - St Louis, Campbell

Herbert will redshirt to heal his shoulder.

I don't think I'll ever be sold on Donaldson as a T.

He just doesn't have the footwork. He mauls at G.
To me, Donaldson has always looked good as a pulling guard, footwork-wise.

I realize it’s a bit different than the quick, lateral movement needed at T, but I’m not ready to write him off at T yet. Slim down and keep practicing technique, and hopefully lock down the spot for the next 2-3 years.

I think we should try Scaife at RT. He got praised for his ability to handle elite edge rushers at all the camps.
I tend to agree. Slide Donaldson back inside and Scaife at RT. He looked very good at camps and the UA game. Just don’t think Donaldson has the lateral quickness to handle the edge.

Advertisement
We have to find a RT so Donaldson can move back to guard. Hebert's inability to be a RT is very concerning. He was supposed to be a serious option at Tackle.

The ol will change.

By the time the season rolls around and barring injury, it will look like this:

LT - Scaife, Brown
LG - Jones, Boulware
C - Gauthier, Gaynor
RG - Donaldson, Mahoney
RT - St Louis, Campbell

Herbert will redshirt to heal his shoulder.
Herbert shirted last year & they ain't starting Scaife at LT as a TF when St. Louis is the best Tackle we have.

I think Scaife or Boulware starts at LG & Hillery eventually gets snaps at RT if Donaldson struggles there.

Said back in Feb before Spring camp the lineup would be:
LT - St. Louis/ Herbert/ Johnson
LG - Scaife/Boulware/Jones
C - Gauthier/ Gaynor/ Milo
RG - Donaldson/ Mahoney/ Reed
RT - Hillery/ Brown/ Campbell

Gaynor can play Guard as well in case of injury, but LG has a top of options. Just my guess, but I believe this will be our best Line come September.

Ultimately, one knock on Searels is that he takes a while to finally figure out the OL combinations, does a little too much experimenting imo. Took him half the season in 2016 to figure out Gauthier was better at Center than Linder & last year the debacle with Darling playing terrible and needed to get Mahoney in there.

Told yall from the jump Herbert was a project. Searles knows how to recruit interior prospects but his Tackle works has been sub par. I mean guys have terrible feet.

There's a few local guys they should have went after that ended up at smaller schools but are definately better players than guys we have.

Im actually happy Jahair Jones seem to hold on to his spot the whole spring..that makes him a rotational player moving forward along with Mahoney who rotated in last year a good amount and to me outplayed Gaynor.
I'm concerned with Gaynors arm length. Its very important for OLineman to have long arms. Not as important if they're interior, but it's still important. It looks like Gaynors got super short arms.

Advertisement
Question - can you have more than one redshirt - i.e a regular redshirt, freshman year. And then at another time, a medical redshirt? Or is it a one time thing for any reason

Question - can you have more than one redshirt - i.e a regular redshirt, freshman year. And then at another time, a medical redshirt? Or is it a one time thing for any reason

Yes. Or at least you used to be able to.
Under special circumstances, if approved.
We’ve had a couple 6th year guys in the past. Think Glen Sharpe was one.

To me, Donaldson has always looked good as a pulling guard, footwork-wise.

I realize it’s a bit different than the quick, lateral movement needed at T, but I’m not ready to write him off at T yet. Slim down and keep practicing technique, and hopefully lock down the spot for the next 2-3 years.

That's my hope, as well. He may not have the footwork for tackle right now. But, he has the athleticism and mobility that can translate to an effective tackle with refined footwork IMO. Or at least that's what I have always hoped for with him

Advertisement
Just a few quick hitters today from the early part of the last day of spring practice with the final scrimmage set for Saturday:

**Cade Weldon returned from his eye infection today. Was throwing with the third team ahead of Jarren Williams.

**Trajan Bandy was ahead of Jhavonte Dean at corner with the 1's along with Mike Jackson.

**OL 1st team: LT St Louis LG Jones C Gauthier RG Mahoney RT Donaldson

**OL 2nd team: LT Brown LG Scaife C Gaynor RG Hillery RT Campbell

**OL 3rd team: Herbert Milo Dykstra

WTF? FML.

I ain't feeling St Louis at LT.

Give me...

RT: St Louis
RG: Donaldson
C: Gauthier
LG: Jesus take the wheel
LT: Jesus take the wheel

Advertisement

I think you have to exhaust all your eligibility first and then apply for the medical hardship redshirt. That's how guys get that 6th year IIRC.

Herbert shirted last year & they ain't starting Scaife at LT as a TF when St. Louis is the best Tackle we have.

Herbert is listed as a sophomore in his official bio while guys like hillery and dykstra are listed as rs-FR. Surprised me too frankly.

Personally I think it’s foolish to force both Donaldson and St. Louis to play out of position to address one weakness (LT). By doing this you’ve weakened what was a big strength, the right side of the ol, and still haven’t gotten a dominant LT to make up for it. St. Louis clearly stated in a frank interview last year that it’s tough to transition from right to left that it’s a lot harder than it looks.

I say keep the right side of the ol the same and give Scaife, Campbell, and Hillery the summer and fall to get stronger and learn the calls and techniques.

Advertisement
Back