Spring Practice 4/10 - Early Portion Notes

View as article
Getting 3-4 loss vibes from this team again, sadly.
Nope . Worst case 2 losses ( and both would come at the very end like last season ) and best case 1 loss. So really not much room IMO . We are so **** talented everwhere besides QB and I honestly think Perry will be a starter by October and then next spring Williams takes it.

Advertisement
Nope . Worst case 2 losses ( and both would come at the very end like last season ) and best case 1 loss. So really not much room IMO . We are so **** talented everwhere besides QB and I honestly think Perry will be a starter by October and then next spring Williams takes it.

Worst case, we have similar problems on offense that we had the last two seasons. We had a talent advantage every year since Richt's been here and the offense has looked anemic at times. Every year we gush at the playmakers we have coming in in the off season, and every year after we see the offense in action we're down on the QB and/or scheme we're running. We better have a dominant offensive line with this repetitive running scheme or we're in trouble. After hearing more sketchiness and shuffling of the offensive line, I expect more of the same. You usually don't see drastic improvement in an offense unless theres drastic changes being made. Are there?

There's definitely talent at QB. Perry, Williams and Weldon are a talented group of QBs. The frustrating thing is waiting for one of these guys to beat out Rosier. I know everyone is on edge about the whole QB issue but let's give this a few more months through Fall camp. I honestly think that we will see significant and possibly drastic improvement from the three QBs listed above. At this point, Rosier being a 5th year senior is what he is for the most part. The 3 young guns on the other hand are at a stage where major progress can occur within a relatively short amount of time. In addition to that, they all know the opportunity in front of them. It's not as if they are trying to unseat Baker Mayfield. Come Fall I think we can expect to see at least 1 of the 3 rise to the challenge.

More shaky O-line? Reports of poor running lanes? Rosier? Regressed defense? Still yet to see a QB look fluid in this offense. I'll believe it when I see it and ill temper my expectations as well.

I definitely share your concerns regarding the OLine. Searels was hyped big time coming in and the OL (while continuing to improve in recruit talent level) doesn't seem to be performing up to par.

It is Spring, so waaay early, but I can't wait for a time again at UM where the words "the OL was dominant" are uttered again. Just too many great skill players to waste behind underwhelming OL performances and if Rosier wins the gig again, we will need it bad for the chunk of games he is off the mark.

I know one thing, I don't see 3-4 losses with this schedule, even with Rosier. We hit that mark and something is pretty wrong.

Advertisement
He from bMore we got a few of them but heroin got them stuck in the city.. Toughened me up growing up in west Baltimore. I would not change it..

Bal'mer a tough *** town man, for sure. In some ways I miss it, many I don't, but just working there for a few years toughened me up and changed me. Definitely a town with it's charms, but also a very sharp, rusty edge to it as well.

Let's hope Cager shows more of his Baltimore this year. I truly thought we were getting a caged animal when he signed, thought he was going to be a beast and bring something to the team. Hope we see it this year. Last chance.

I definitely share your concerns regarding the OLine. Searels was hyped big time coming in and the OL (while continuing to improve in recruit talent level) doesn't seem to be performing up to par.

It is Spring, so waaay early, but I can't wait for a time again at UM where the words "the OL was dominant" are uttered again. Just too many great skill players to waste behind underwhelming OL performances and if Rosier wins the gig again, we will need it bad for the chunk of games he is off the mark.

I know one thing, I don't see 3-4 losses with this schedule, even with Rosier. We hit that mark and something is pretty wrong.

I hear you, but it's been two seasons and we weren't exactly stacked as far as talent. OLine takes some time to turn around when you figure it's real **** rare that you plop a freshman out there and get all-conference production out of them. I have the same reservations about Searels from the technique/putting together a cohesive unit standpoint, but he's clearly getting the talent in recruiting. It's premature to start up the fire under his seat given what he's accomplished in recruiting and what he had to work with in his room when he walked in the door.

It really should not be at all surprising that the line looks like a work in progress at this point in time.

There's definitely talent at QB. Perry, Williams and Weldon are a talented group of QBs. The frustrating thing is waiting for one of these guys to beat out Rosier. I know everyone is on edge about the whole QB issue but let's give this a few more months through Fall camp. I honestly think that we will see significant and possibly drastic improvement from the three QBs listed above. At this point, Rosier being a 5th year senior is what he is for the most part. The 3 young guns on the other hand are at a stage where major progress can occur within a relatively short amount of time. In addition to that, they all know the opportunity in front of them. It's not as if they are trying to unseat Baker Mayfield. Come Fall I think we can expect to see at least 1 of the 3 rise to the challenge.

Completely agree with this. It's really too early to expect any of the three younger guys to "take over" the job. Think about it - Williams is the one who has played in an actual game the most recently (Army All American game). It makes absolute sense that Rosier would be the one with the most "knowledge of what to do". The other three are trying to take what they get in position meetings, etc and apply it to the field. I think we should have a better feel by the 1st-2nd week of August camp how far they really are in terms of readiness. Hopefully one of them will stand out in some way. I still think Rosier will START the LSU game, though, regardless. It's just too big of a game, on too big of a stage to throw the new guy out there right away. Starting doesn't necessarily mean finishing.....

Advertisement
Possible means what exactly, when referencing my comment. 12 losses are possible, why stop at 3?

Rosier May have had “miracles”, but which happened more this past year in college football: Game winning drives or onside kicks returned for touchdowns?

Even with Rosier (or whomever should win the QB job) Miami should still win all 12 regular season games. And last year is proof of that because one can’t be much worse than multiple 40-some % completion games. Bluntly, it CAN’T get worse. And, Miami could have still beaten Pitt had Rosier not completed a single extra pass. I’ll get to defense in a second.

In the rush (bloodthirst?) to bash Rosier there has been creative license taken to the performance of the offensive line. The only thing that opened up the offense, sadly, were the designed QB runs. Because, to me, the O-line was as woeful as Rosier (was for key parts of the season). Defense...3rd down...nuff said. Miami COULD have still won the Pitt game with a legitimate defensive effort that I think most will agree sucked that game (turnovers usually made...Miami just couldn’t capitalize on). And, just to REALLY **** you off...Adidas makes D-line Jerseys that prevent defenders from being held... (too soon?)

My signature says what I truly believe will be Miami’s record. I’m the worst/last person to ask about losses.
Written like a dedicated Cane homer. You think they will win all regular season 12 games this year. Do you think the same way before each season that we will go undefeated? If so you need to change your perspective on analyzing a teams performance.

Written like a dedicated Cane homer. You think they will win all regular season 12 games this year. Do you think the same way before each season that we will go undefeated? If so you need to change your perspective on analyzing a teams performance.

Stop it. We should be favored in all 12 games. ESPN has us favored to win all 12 games. Cut the bull****, Chicken Little. It’s not a stretch to consider it a possibility.

Advertisement
Homer as charged. But at least my analysis lines up with sensible publications. Even Vegas may flip back to the ‘Canes by the time the season starts. But your “3-4 loss scenario”…doesn’t exist anywhere outside of the minds of people who like to lose.

Which makes me wonder: why do you hate the ‘Canes so much?
I love the Canes. Homers refuse to recognize that there may be some negative issues concerning the up coming season. My opinion is not clouded by blind allegiance and pie in the sky attitude.

Stop it. We should be favored in all 12 games. ESPN has us favored to win all 12 games. Cut the bull****, Chicken Little. It’s not a stretch to consider it a possibility.
Key word- possibility. Will you agree that there is a possibility we lose 3 games. LSU, FSU, and va tech.

Key word- possibility. Will you agree that there is a possibility we lose 3 games. LSU, FSU, and va tech.
There's a possibility we have a key injury and struggle for bowl eligibility. See FSU (2017)

Saying we have a chance to win the games we'll be favored in is not only examining possibilities, but understanding the law of probability.

Advertisement
There's a possibility we have a key injury and struggle for bowl eligibility. See FSU (2017)

Saying we have a chance to win the games we'll be favored in is not only examining possibilities, but understanding the law of probability.
Waste of time discussing this. I said at behinnng of last season we would lose 3 games. Check back to my post during last summer. We still have too many uncertainties in key areas to become a dominant team. Thusly I feel another 3 loss season will happen. Favorites or underdogs not criteria for evaluating a season. Teams have to play game on field not by analysis of handicappers. End of conversation. Put discussion to rest and let’s discuss again during December.

Advertisement
Back