Spring game thoughts

View as article
Advertisement
And development time….

We ****ed that up by the mulligan year. It was to be:
2022: TVD/Jake develops and TVD goes in the draft
2023: Jake/Brown development/Rashada level QB recruit

But in 2022, Mariattis ruined the entire room from both an ingame and development perspective by all accounts
What's a rashada level recruit considering the kid was overrated and overhyped

Advertisement
Not saying this isn't true but recent pictures showed him without a brace and crutches. I think…

Edit: I see others have found the pics…
I think he'll be ramped up by early summer do either way we'll know long before fall camp if we should be worried or not

To me, which means as much as you want it to mean, this was a clear and substantial step forward from where we were last year.

Schematically, it was a stark difference from what we ran on both sides of the ball. Several posters are misunderstanding what an Air-Raid offense really means, probably because of watching Mike Leach offenses, but the concepts are really about stretching the field horizontally unless a vertical stretch presents itself. Normally, you’ll have pre-snap reads for vertical concept, post-snap reads for short game. The run game is generally built on simple zone runs, most often built on IZ runs, which this offense is.

Air-Raid is not just Miss State or TCU offenses. Keep it simple, play fast, play in space are the staples.

On defense, this team is going to be so much better against the run. I just love the structure and concepts of how this defense works. I was ecstatic when they hired Guidry and maybe moreso today.

I looked at who we had at G and just said I pretty much can’t even watch those clips on 2nd team. I was sure we had a FB playing RG on 2nd team. That’s something you might want to address. Expect multiple OL to find their way to other opportunities after spring. The guys we had starting at G shouldn’t see the field, so those backups…whew.

Was disappointed in Terry Roberts. I’d Say just move him to S, clear the practice reps for others, make him a ST captain and let him have a Slater career.

The rest of CB’s I thought showed good things. Not perfect, but your ask is for your CB’s to play man against fades and fight the ball every single time, you’re asking too much. They were playable, which was not really the word I’d gotten.

I liked Thomas Gore more than most, but I’m disappointed in what he put on tape. He might not even get snaps if he does that again. His motor and effort show up on game day, but he couldn’t show up at all last night because you couldn’t see him to show him.

QB. You’ve got to go find another QB. That was scary by Brown. That kid is not playable. I hear this offense is suited to his skillset, but a rhythm offense that relies on players in space is not built for him. They need accuracy at QB and I don’t see how that becomes his game. Love my guy D$ but he’s definitely higher on Brown than I am.

Skinner popped. Riley popped.

It’s a spring game, but man those practice helmets look dorky.

It looked like an 8-win team to me.

Lance, short of a wishbone/veer-type of system, no offense is suited for a QB that can't consistently make routine throws. I really hope he develops because athletically he gives UM a dimension at that position that they have never had. But yeah, 'unplayable' is a word that may not be hyperbole if if overall passing doesnt get better

Advertisement
I honestly saw more of Dawson's playbook last night than any of our other "super secret vanilla ninja" spring game offenses in recent memory

I honestly saw more of Dawson's playbook last night than any of our other "super secret vanilla ninja" spring game offenses in recent memory.
Do we honestly know all.of Dawson's playbook

According to Mario we wouldn't see all of the O or D.

Do we honestly know all.of Dawson's playbook

According to Mario we wouldn't see all of the O or D.
Lol I'm sure we don't, but I watched an unreasonable amount of Houston film after the hire and I saw a lot of the same stuff last night. I have no doubt we haven't installed a fraction of what we'll see in fall, but the formations, motions, WR splits, personnel groupings were all there - we weren't just running inside zone for 60 minutes.

Example: I saw that motion jet toss to Brashard twice last night which Dawson used a lot at UH. Look for plays off of that during fall - fake toss counter, reverse, playaction screens.

Don't expect Zion to be ready before the season starts, heard he still has a huge brace and on crutches.
Sorry Apparently the posters that reported it were wrong or it was old info. I am very happy if he is on the way back after seeing Rivers last night.

Advertisement
Differing reports of Rodriguez. Seemed like the Grad Transfer Lee had good things to say, but reading the board he isn’t it. Can anyone clarify?

Go Canes!

Lol I'm sure we don't, but I watched an unreasonable amount of Houston film after the hire and I saw a lot of the same stuff last night. I have no doubt we haven't installed a fraction of what we'll see in fall, but the formations, motions, WR splits, personnel groupings were all there - we weren't just running inside zone for 60 minutes.

Example: I saw that motion jet toss to Brashard twice last night which Dawson used a lot at UH. Look for plays off of that during fall - fake toss counter, reverse, playaction screens.
I'll buy that

But I'll also buy we showed at most 80% of what they've installed so far......BUT that remaining "20%" isn't some secret weapon that'll magically propel Miami's offense to a top 5 unit.

Advertisement
For me, 8 wins is our ceiling. We have no floor lol

Last year we should have gone 4-8, but UVA was even more dysfunctional on offense than we were which is stunning. This year, I think we're clearly better and the question is how much. Current roster, 6-8 wins. Add the right portal kids, you can get that to 7-9.

It would take a Top 20 WR, a top 20 CB and a Top 20 NG for me to believe we can have a shot at 10 wins, and even then, everyone would have to get and stay healthy, and the young ones would have to develop so they could contribute down the stretch.

crazy how Cyrus Moss still looks so small at his position. I saw some big boys on defense especially at LB which we haven't had in a long time. And TVD definitely needs to get the ball out ALOT SOONER!. 1ST drive of the game we had a untouched defender for a sack on TVD which is the same issue as last year. if he is gun shy again this year we are in trouble. and Emory looks the part. I was bigger on him than everybody on here for the most part and it looks like I was.............

Lance, short of a wishbone/veer-type of system, no offense is suited for a QB that can't consistently make routine throws. I really hope he develops because athletically he gives UM a dimension at that position that they have never had. But yeah, 'unplayable' is a word that may not be hyperbole if if overall passing doesnt get better

I know it's a long shot. But the kid is so uber at everything else, you got to give him a full year of focusing on nothing but his passing fundamentals with a real coach and trainer. Mario said he had a great Spring and he was saddened that Brown was so off and couldn't show his progress to the fanbase. So I'm going to trust in our HC's judgment and see where Dawson can get him. Worst case scenario, he recognizes he'll never be an NFL QB and switches to WR or TE as a 3rd Year Sophomore.

IMO, we should move Jaden Harris to Outside CB (either Field or Boundary), then move DP Jr to Inside Nickel Corner.

Add a Safety to pair up with Kam & use James Will as a Hybrid/STAR.

Add a Speedster WR to go with Young, X & George

Add 2 OL’s (OT & OG)

Add as many DT’s as we can find.

Another RB would be nice for insurance in case Chaney gets hurt again, but I wanna see what we got with Chris Johnson Jr, his speed & sprinter stride are unreal. Use him as the change of pace back & as a receiver out of the backfield on Screens & flat routes & we might have ourselves a real weapon.
Glad to see your high on Chris Johnson as well, was hyped on him from the beginning. His acceleration is a game breaker.

Advertisement
Back