Spring game thoughts

View as article
How is it that Mario and Mirabal are OL gurus, they coached Denis and Sagapolou at Oregon, extend scholarships to them at Miami, and they come here and suddenly aren’t as good as they thought at Oregon?
Don’t think they would be here if Oregon thought they were good. Mario/mirabal imo are much better coaches than they are evaluators, they get alot out of guys who aren’t really next level talents like uga/bama has.

Advertisement
Guidry dropped 8 into coverage quite a bit last night, IE prevent defense, that can explain why Brown (& Williams) struggled to throw the ball underneath. Most of our success came from throwing the ball outside the hashes & those deep balls to Williams & George. Also we should've ate when Guidry went to 3 underneath.
Guidry threw a lot of weird **** at an offense that ran basically the same pass plays the first three drives...

Also... Bain has the potential to be an absolute monster the next three years.

Put him in on pass-rush-situations from the get go.

Advertisement
He played baseball like 7 years ago as a junior in HS, that counts right? Multi-sport we're acting like he's Charlie Ward or some chit.

Yeah, but TVD is more athletic than He looks, He turned the corner a few times Friday night. And His deep ball accuracy has improved, and it looks like He's throwing the ball with more velocity.

Advertisement
crazy how Cyrus Moss still looks so small at his position. I saw some big boys on defense especially at LB which we haven't had in a long time. And TVD definitely needs to get the ball out ALOT SOONER!. 1ST drive of the game we had a untouched defender for a sack on TVD which is the same issue as last year. if he is gun shy again this year we are in trouble. and Emory looks the part. I was bigger on him than everybody on here for the most part and it looks like I was.............
I was one of Emorys biggest supporters. Kept telling people on here he better than rashada. Possibly best QB recruit last year

He played baseball like 7 years ago as a junior in HS, that counts right? Multi-sport we're acting like he's Charlie Ward or some chit.
As just one example, Joe Burrow (HS hoops) kept making leaps until his fifth year of college football. There is a difference between guys that are privately coached throughout high school and those who compete in other sports year around.

A lot more room to grow and often a different style of play.

I was one of Emorys biggest supporters. Kept telling people on here he better than rashada. Possibly best QB recruit last year
Great presence in the huddle, which is crazy considering his age. Emory looks like someone who will be successful And of course took advantage of the blown coverage In addition to some good underneath throws.

It's honestly hard to take much from these spring games, especially with the amount of guys we had out. I'll give two thoughts, one on an incomer and one on a returning player who's performance yesterday did nothing to change my opinion of him from last year.'

- Bain is a gem. He's quick twitch and relentless. I think this kid is already 280+ pounds which means by the time he leaves here he'll grow into at least a pass rushing DT, if not a full time DT. He's going to make a LOT of money down the road.
- Mario's #1 priority this recruiting cycle should be finding an elite QB of the future, cause I'm not sure that guy is on the roster. This was my first time seeing Emory and he didn't look horrible or completely lost for a freshman.......but I'm just not a fan of Jaccuri's game. He's inaccurate as all **** and makes some bad decisions on where to go with the ball. He's an athlete playing QB who's isn't crazy athletic either.

This is a spot where you tell Ruiz to open the checkbook and use a decent amount of the 2023 allocation toward securing a top notch QB. It should be right up there with securing some top notch WR's, CB's, and DT's in this cycle.
not gonna judge brown this year imo and he shouldn't even have played last year. the biggest disservice done to him is honestly the **** we post on here from practice. its appreciated but it puts unfair expectations. we see this every single offseason. the weekly hype articles and then shockingly the kid has his worst day. let him RS (not a single snap idc who hurts, put a punter at QB before him) and learn. he needs a learning year more than anyone as I do think hes got the highest potential of the backup QBs on the roster.

Advertisement
As just one example, Joe Burrow (HS hoops) kept making leaps until his fifth year of college football. There is a difference between guys that are privately coached throughout high school and those who compete in other sports year around.

A lot more room to grow and often a different style of play.
burrow didnt really play a lot at OSU

Great presence in the huddle, which is crazy considering his age. Emory looks like someone who will be successful And of course took advantage of the blown coverage In addition to some good underneath throws.
Very good signs. I always remember Spurrier's comments regarding HS QB's. "Only 25% of highly rated HS QB's can successfully adapt to the speed of D1 football". So if Emory is showing a level of comfort and poise this early on he is way ahead of the curve. Miami might have a really good one here.

How is it that Mario and Mirabal are OL gurus, they coached Denis and Sagapolou at Oregon, extend scholarships to them at Miami, and they come here and suddenly aren’t as good as they thought at Oregon?
i guess theyre just **** coaches. I believe Marios contract runs for 9 more years so you can come back then.

Advertisement
Oh, one more thing to add:

The singular goal of spring is to not get anyone seriously injured. That’s all. The rest is all fluff. This is a great post and great thread, but in reality, none of this matters at all. The literal only thing that determines if you had a successful spring or not is did you have anyone get hurt?

And I don’t think anybody was injured at any point in spring that would jeopardize their fall participation. Because of that, this spring session was a massive success.
x100!

I opened this thread holding my breath praying to not hear of any significant injuries.

So glad to hear we have guys who are making strides, our schemes are more favorable and no injuries.

Now it’s time to raid the portal for talent. Hope what we need is there.

20230416_114534.jpg

Screenshot_20230416_114701_Twitter.jpg

Crazy how much size Zion put on while at Miami.

Advertisement
Back