Spring game thoughts

Advertisement
TVD is all we got and at the same time he ain’t it

Thanks for keeping it real. J. Brown is not a P5 starting QB. Period. The team lacks depth and speed. It’s a 7 win team..a few breaks and get to 8.

Cristobal better find a QB in 24 as he doesn’t have one…
How do you know that? Off of practice reports I believe the board felt that way before tvd took off.

Could someone explain what an inside zone is? Apologies for my ignorance…
Most modern offenses employ what's called a zone blocking scheme. Simply put, linemen don't have assigned players to block, they have assigned zones and you're always blocking in the direction the play is going. Example: you're a center and the play is designed to go right. You fire off at a 45* angle to the right and block whoever is occupying that zone. If the defense doesn't have someone in that gap, you move to the next level. The running back doesn't run through a designated hole, he runs in the direction the play is supposed to go (inside the tackles for IZ and outside the tackle for OZ) and can chose where to attack a crease. It's really the basis for most spread offense running games and the entire running game is built around this basic concept.

Moss needs to be an OLB. I’m going to continue beat home this move until it happens. Stop putting him w/ his hand in the ground, stand him up & use him like UGA did Floyd & SC is currently doing w/ Gentry. He has elite traits & that move will benefit both the team & Moss.
He was I thought… definitely was flashing more. I think another year in a situational pass rushing role and I think he can blossom next year.

Advertisement
Moss needs to be an OLB. I’m going to continue beat home this move until it happens. Stop putting him w/ his hand in the ground, stand him up & use him like UGA did Floyd & SC is currently doing w/ Gentry. He has elite traits & that move will benefit both the team & Moss.
But he's doing the exact same things as an OLB right now.
On Friday he rushed the passer AND dropped into coverage a bunch. (which is what you'd ask an OLB to do)

Guidry is using Moss and Kelly as hybrid DE/OLB type players.

Nice post, again. I had an ‘understated’ list after our class:

A couple guys on that list are unlikely to be ‘immediate dudes.’ But, in addition to your point, I think it’s critical there are ‘future dudes’ playing backup positions for us. I mean, one look at our backup Guards on Friday and…

I look forward to seeing Stafford, Kinsler, and others provide us some depth as they grow into their future roles.
I am a huge fan of Kinsler. When Mark Richt got here in 2016 and looked at our team and asked, "Where are all the big dudes at?"..Kinsler was what he had in mind. Im hoping hes ready to come in and play in that 2 deep immediately, learn from under Cohen and soak up knowledge..and be ready to start by 2024.

Advertisement
We do the same thing every year. We see a few clips, maybe some action in a spring game and think a player was a good take and they'll be a difference maker. Then they never see the field and it's because Coach X plays favorites, values seniority, etc.

There's a whole lot to be somewhat positive about, but I need to see results before I take a swig of the Kool-Aid.

What about Jon Denis at two deep guard?
8vUEXZA2me7vnuUvrs.gif

Advertisement
Nothing earth-shattering overall. TVD and the offense look better. No true #1 but lots of good WR options for TVD. Mario's portal and true freshmen stood out; big talent difference from who was there when Mario came in.

Advertisement
What do you think Guidry new defense?

I think it's a great fit for our personel
I'm always a fan of any DC who looks for opportunities to send additional pressure while simultaneously having "guardrails" in place.

With the QB's being "no contact" I think people might be under estimating how many sacks we would've had Friday. Plenty of times where our QB's would've been hit in the face but were allowed to throw instead.

If you develop 85 kids and they all blow their knees out, you’re gonna have a tough season.

Yes, we’re saying similar things. Of course you want to get better. But the most important thing is to not get injured first and get better second. This is meaningless stuff. We don’t play a game for 5 months. 30% of the offense is installed. We’ll improve all off-season. Health is paramount.

Air Raid offenses have a two week install normally. At the very least the base offense/defense have been installed + some. We have two new coordinators, and the team sucked complete *** last season.

The main goal is to get better at football. If we don't improve this team can get healthy all they want it wont matter at all. If there are spring injuries getting there then so be it.

The Spring game is pretty much where I stand with your opinion of spring as a whole.

But he's doing the exact same things as an OLB right now.
On Friday he rushed the passer AND dropped into coverage a bunch. (which is what you'd ask an OLB to do)

Guidry is using Moss and Kelly as hybrid DE/OLB type players.

No, no my brotha. U know there’s a fundamental difference between a stand up rush end & what I’m referring to in regards to Eric Gentry or even Isaiah Simmons. Dropping in coverage doesn’t move me since we were dropping Chickillo in coverage under D’No. I’m specifically talking about utilizing Moss like this guy, which we did not & have not seen.

I'm not sold on Mario, late coaches changes with no major splash etc etc. I love the Cane's but will definitely take the under sadly for another season.
What's your magic number? Mine is 6.5. Vegas might give us 6, and that would be a toughie.

Advertisement
Back