Spring game thoughts

He was a HS junior seven years ago? Man, he's old...

The point is not about whether he is an MLB-draft-level baseball talent. The point is that he learned different throwing angles from playing baseball. Nobody is under the delusion that TVD will be drafted by an MLB team.
Hyperbole, bud. He runs like Pablo Sandoval and throws like Dan Quisenbery

Advertisement
Anyone heard anything more about Javion Cohen and/or Cooper? What's the injury story? Was it more precautionary or is bad news going to leak?

Nah brother. I watched Baker give a clinic on their defense while at Miami.

They called them "void zone pressures".
In other words, they would leave zones completely open (void) in order to send extra pressure and bank on the QB not seeing the void and/or making an accurate throw.

The film that they showed us was FILLED with wide open receivers. It was so bad that people in the clinic were looking around at each other like "is this guy serious?"
They actually used "highlights" with QB's missing throws to open WR's.

Remember when simple 5 yard throws would turn into 20 yard gains? Welp...

Guidry ain't leaving any zones open.
People in this fanbase wanted to keep Manny.

"Hey, I'mma let this receiver be wide open for the sake of creating pressure and I just hope, not PLAN, that he won't see him being buttassnaked!"

Give TVD 3 seconds to throw and this offense will do work. He just makes so many throw look effortless, especially the slants and outs.
But now I understand why @Cribby has been harping on the need to stay healthy. We wil have a pretty good, dare I say very good 1st team offense. But lose any of those Oline and we are in trouble. If healthy I can see us in some shoot outs again like we were 2 years ago when our corner backs looked like, well like this year’s group with no difference makers.

Need Chaney to stay healthy. He and Parrish are a good combo but neither should be carrying the ball 25+ times per game. 10-15 each would be ideal.

Imagine how good TVD will be behind Bama’s o-line next year!

Advertisement
What's the impact on recruiting, if any, when Ohio St draws 75,000 for their Spring game and we draw a very small fraction of that? I know Broward was flooded but ...
Well we had less than 10,000 fans show up to last years spring game and we ended with the #7 class.

Well we had less than 10,000 fans show up to last years spring game and we ended with the #7 class.
We've always had highly-rated recruiting classes on paper. This century though, production on the field? Well, that's been a whole other thing.

You asked what's the impact on recruiting and I showed you. 🤷‍♂️
Yep, you did. Thanks.

Happen to know what this years attendance was estimated at -- in comparison with the "less than 10,000" we had last Spring? With the bad weather, coming off a forgettable season, and without that initial MC excitement?

Advertisement
Nah brother. I watched Baker give a clinic on their defense while at Miami.

They called them "void zone pressures".
In other words, they would leave zones completely open (void) in order to send extra pressure and bank on the QB not seeing the void and/or making an accurate throw.

The film that they showed us was FILLED with wide open receivers. It was so bad that people in the clinic were looking around at each other like "is this guy serious?"
They actually used "highlights" with QB's missing throws to open WR's.

Remember when simple 5 yard throws would turn into 20 yard gains? Welp...

Guidry ain't leaving any zones open.
. Peak Manny right here

Advertisement
People in this fanbase wanted to keep Manny.

"Hey, I'mma let this receiver be wide open for the sake of creating pressure and I just hope, not PLAN, that he won't see him being buttassnaked!"
I’m definitely not going to defend him, I’ve been blaming him incessantly for roster issues and culture problems even to this day. His defensive philosophy while asinine long-term, is ok for a play here and there…forcing a college kid (especially if he’s one that tends to progress through his reads slowly or panic at the first sign of option #1 or the hot route being taken away) isn’t bad. That’s what pre-game film is for and to identify those traits.

But the definition of insanity is when you start doing the same thing over and over and expect different results…like you don’t think an opposing OC will adjust? That’s what enraged me. That and telegraphing the pressure so that even a competent OC can make a change pre-snap. Bama ruined us like that.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not going to defend him, I’ve been incessantly blaming him for roster issues and culture problems even to this day. His defensive philosophy while asinine long-term, is ok for a play here and there…forcing a college kid (especially if he’s one that tends to progress through his reads slowly or panic at the first sign of option #1 or the hot route being taken away) isn’t bad. That’s what pre-game film is for and to identify those traits.

But the definition of insanity is when you start doing the same thing over and over and expect different results…like you don’t think an opposing OC will adjust? That’s what enraged me. That and telegraphing the pressure so that even a competent OC can make a change pre-snap. Bama ruined us like that.

Like defenses playing against us last year… easy to predict, easy to defend

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back