Spring game thoughts

View as article
I agree that Rivers is not a LT. He got the whole summer to get better. I disagree on the high school FR bit. Bain is a grownman and i saw Perkins from LSU go into the SEC as a true FR and instantly became a top 3 rusher. Some kids are that special. Bain is. He has moves and combo moves plus tenacity.
I hope you are right that it was more about how good Bain is already than Rivers not being good enough. Probably some combo of both being true. So is Rivers even a legit guard or is everyone just giving him that spot because we’ve been hearing for 2-3 years that he is supposed to be good?
Boy we will be a lot better of Zion returns.
Or if Samson is able to develop enough strength to handle the spot. But 2 true freshmen tackles is crazy even as I write it.

Advertisement
I think Nelson is the key because I just don’t think Rivers is an LT. Bain beat him pretty easy on a sack, and no way should high school senior be able to take apart Rivers like he did. Without Nelson playing, don’t be surprised if Samson is getting 1st team reps by the 2nd half of the season.
Samson would have to improve a lot if he plans on playing, he was beaten numerous times last night. If the staff doesn't have any faith in Zion being ready by week 1 then they will probably need to hit the portal.

I think the OL will end up being this if Zion is healthy by the fall and we don't grab OL in the portal. When did Zion get hurt last year?

LT Nelson
LG Cohen
C Lee
RG Rivers
RT Mauigoa
Don't expect Zion to be ready before the season starts, heard he still has a huge brace and on crutches.

Disappointed in what I keep seeing about JB's QB performance to say the least. Some posters had me hopeful of him. Wondering if he had a bad night or he's just not gonna make it here 🤔
At least he made some good reads as to where to go with the ball. But it looks like the ball flutters and wobbles when he throws it. The result being a throw that isn’t terrible, but not good enough to move an offense consistently down the field. The throw to Ray Ray in the 2nd half should have been completed. The underneath receiver was also open.

Did
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Advertisement
I hope you are right that it was more about how good Bain is already than Rivers not being good enough. Probably some combo of both being true. So is Rivers even a legit guard or is everyone just giving him that spot because we’ve been hearing for 2-3 years that he is supposed to be good?
Boy we will be a lot better of Zion returns.
Or if Samson is able to develop enough strength to handle the spot. But 2 true freshmen tackles is crazy even as I write it.
LSU started a True FR LT and won the SEC West. So im holding hope on that as well. They are here for the spring so it does make a difference and with Cohen beside him it could work. Or maybe move Francis over there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
To me, which means as much as you want it to mean, this was a clear and substantial step forward from where we were last year.

Schematically, it was a stark difference from what we ran on both sides of the ball. Several posters are misunderstanding what an Air-Raid offense really means, probably because of watching Mike Leach offenses, but the concepts are really about stretching the field horizontally unless a vertical stretch presents itself. Normally, you’ll have pre-snap reads for vertical concept, post-snap reads for short game. The run game is generally built on simple zone runs, most often built on IZ runs, which this offense is.

Air-Raid is not just Miss State or TCU offenses. Keep it simple, play fast, play in space are the staples.

On defense, this team is going to be so much better against the run. I just love the structure and concepts of how this defense works. I was ecstatic when they hired Guidry and maybe moreso today.

I looked at who we had at G and just said I pretty much can’t even watch those clips on 2nd team. I was sure we had a FB playing RG on 2nd team. That’s something you might want to address. Expect multiple OL to find their way to other opportunities after spring. The guys we had starting at G shouldn’t see the field, so those backups…whew.

Was disappointed in Terry Roberts. I’d Say just move him to S, clear the practice reps for others, make him a ST captain and let him have a Slater career.

The rest of CB’s I thought showed good things. Not perfect, but your ask is for your CB’s to play man against fades and fight the ball every single time, you’re asking too much. They were playable, which was not really the word I’d gotten.

I liked Thomas Gore more than most, but I’m disappointed in what he put on tape. He might not even get snaps if he does that again. His motor and effort show up on game day, but he couldn’t show up at all last night because you couldn’t see him to show him.

QB. You’ve got to go find another QB. That was scary by Brown. That kid is not playable. I hear this offense is suited to his skillset, but a rhythm offense that relies on players in space is not built for him. They need accuracy at QB and I don’t see how that becomes his game. Love my guy D$ but he’s definitely higher on Brown than I am.

Skinner popped. Riley popped.

It’s a spring game, but man those practice helmets look dorky.

It looked like an 8-win team to me.
I’m still at 6 wins.

I came away encouraged we're heading in the right direction. Last year was blind faith and hope that ended up biting me in the butt big time. This year feels different after watching last night. We have some nice pieces to build on and compete w/. Plus it feels great to have coordinators that seem like they can make a positive difference for us. Especially Guidry.

Keep building and LGC! :11263272045-489f4f7972-o:

The team on both sides of the ball looked totally discombobulated last season. Even though this was a spring scrimmage, the scheming, the level of cohesion on D, and better QB protection/WR catching on O, was far better than last year. I’m excited about the trajectory of this year’s team. I think we win the games we’re supposed to win, with this team.

Advertisement
I came away encouraged we're heading in the right direction. Last year was blind faith and hope that ended up biting me in the butt big time. This year feels different after watching last night. We have some nice pieces to build on and compete w/. Plus it feels great to have coordinators that seem like they can make a positive difference for us. Especially Guidry.

Keep building and LGC! :11263272045-489f4f7972-o:
Agree! You posted while I was watching water boil with my post…🤣🤣🤣

I don't expect jacurri brown to all of a sudden "get it" at some point before next season so we must get someone in the portal or hope that emory is ready

with that said, I do think people are too worried about the spring game showing. we've had our DC and OC for a little over a month. We'll be way more in sync by fall camp across the board, not to mention some additional transfers

To me, which means as much as you want it to mean, this was a clear and substantial step forward from where we were last year.

Schematically, it was a stark difference from what we ran on both sides of the ball. Several posters are misunderstanding what an Air-Raid offense really means, probably because of watching Mike Leach offenses, but the concepts are really about stretching the field horizontally unless a vertical stretch presents itself. Normally, you’ll have pre-snap reads for vertical concept, post-snap reads for short game. The run game is generally built on simple zone runs, most often built on IZ runs, which this offense is.

Air-Raid is not just Miss State or TCU offenses. Keep it simple, play fast, play in space are the staples.

On defense, this team is going to be so much better against the run. I just love the structure and concepts of how this defense works. I was ecstatic when they hired Guidry and maybe moreso today.

I looked at who we had at G and just said I pretty much can’t even watch those clips on 2nd team. I was sure we had a FB playing RG on 2nd team. That’s something you might want to address. Expect multiple OL to find their way to other opportunities after spring. The guys we had starting at G shouldn’t see the field, so those backups…whew.

Was disappointed in Terry Roberts. I’d Say just move him to S, clear the practice reps for others, make him a ST captain and let him have a Slater career.

The rest of CB’s I thought showed good things. Not perfect, but your ask is for your CB’s to play man against fades and fight the ball every single time, you’re asking too much. They were playable, which was not really the word I’d gotten.

I liked Thomas Gore more than most, but I’m disappointed in what he put on tape. He might not even get snaps if he does that again. His motor and effort show up on game day, but he couldn’t show up at all last night because you couldn’t see him to show him.

QB. You’ve got to go find another QB. That was scary by Brown. That kid is not playable. I hear this offense is suited to his skillset, but a rhythm offense that relies on players in space is not built for him. They need accuracy at QB and I don’t see how that becomes his game. Love my guy D$ but he’s definitely higher on Brown than I am.

Skinner popped. Riley popped.

It’s a spring game, but man those practice helmets look dorky.

It looked like an 8-win team to me.
Thanks for keeping it real. J. Brown is not a P5 starting QB. Period. The team lacks depth and speed. It’s a 7 win team..a few breaks and get to 8.

Cristobal better find a QB in 24 as he doesn’t have one…

Advertisement
Back