*** Spring Game Stream ***

70 yard bombed touchdown pass on the first play of the game for fsu

10.jpg

it was trickett lol

Advertisement
the offensive line looked like crap - I'm sure having feliciano and johnson playing would've helped things, but there were way too many mistakes from guys who will play next year

Ryan Williams made some nice throws, made some late throws, and made some dumb throws

There was no deep passing but we only had 2 receivers playing today that will play next year.
Next year WR rotation:

Scott
Dorsett
Hurns
Lockhart
Lewis

We'll be able to generate a deep passing game with those guys

Dewey showed me some stuff. Looks like he took a leap to 3rd string. He may end up as backup if Williams continues on this path.

Advertisement
Pcity,
You gotta relent a little here, brother. One of the stated goals of the spring game was to determine who is ahead between the two true freshman QB's. I think we found the answer, yes?

clear cut.

my major worry is if morris goes down is Williams going to play like he did today? if so, we are in trouble.

I see the summer QB battle being very interesting. We have 2 upper-class QBs with 1/2 of a complete skillset. :) Seriously tho, look at these skillsets. They are diametrically opposed.

Williams:
* tall
* sees the field very well
* accurate
* wee wee arm strength
* not overly mobile - altho I'd like to see what would happen if the QBs could get hit. Williams bought some time in the pocket nicely today.

Morris:
* not quite tall
* trouble seeing multiple reads
*trouble with accuracy
* very good arm strength
*above average athleticism.

Its like we need some kind of cloning machine. Put Williams and Morris in and come out with a super-QB. :)

Funny thing is I see the same thing between Crow and Dewey.

sorry, but there were some WR's wide open, the QB's just weren't connecting. Either they were throwing too far OUTSIDE on out routes, or they had trouble connecting on the deep dig, which is a very hard throw to make.

The defense looked decent. If we can hold people to 3 points, we can win a bunch of games....

Couple other random thoughts:

* As noted by one of the noob posters in this thread - WE LACK PLAYMAKERS! If Duke Johnson and/or some of the other freshmenz cannot have an immediate impact, we are gonna struggle to win 5 games this season.

* This was my first time seeing the Golden coaching staff in a practice session. I was impressed. There appeared to be A LOT OF TEACHING going on down on the field. Seeing coach Golden popping into and out of the huddles between plays was impressive. Its refreshing to see a staff that takes an intellectual approach to the game.

Advertisement
One other note:

* It appeared that we ran a two tight end set on ~ 50% of the plays. There was a lot of 2 TE - 2 WR, 1 back sets. Very interesting.

That tells me that the coaches realize we dont have any playmakers. We are going to have to be a grind it out offense...unless we hit an instant home run with one or more of the incoming freshmenz.

One other note:

* It appeared that we ran a two tight end set on ~ 50% of the plays. There was a lot of 2 TE - 2 WR, 1 back sets. Very interesting.

That tells me that the coaches realize we dont have any playmakers. We are going to have to be a grind it out offense...unless we hit an instant home run with one or more of the incoming freshmenz.

we had way too many turnovers today to even begin to consider ourselves a grind it out offense. if we keep that up we won't have any success with it. we did "alright" the last couple years with the turnovers because we were able to bust so many explosive plays. if we plan on grinding we can't afford to have turnovers like we've had.

One other note:

We probably did that more cuz we don't have the WR depth to be able to run the four wideout spread. I agree though we need playmakers to emerge.

Advertisement
Pcity,
You gotta relent a little here, brother. One of the stated goals of the spring game was to determine who is ahead between the two true freshman QB's. I think we found the answer, yes?

clear cut.

my major worry is if morris goes down is Williams going to play like he did today? if so, we are in trouble.

I see the summer QB battle being very interesting. We have 2 upper-class QBs with 1/2 of a complete skillset. :) Seriously tho, look at these skillsets. They are diametrically opposed.

Williams:
* tall
* sees the field very well
* accurate
* wee wee arm strength
* not overly mobile - altho I'd like to see what would happen if the QBs could get hit. Williams bought some time in the pocket nicely today.

Morris:
* not quite tall
* trouble seeing multiple reads
*trouble with accuracy

* very good arm strength
*above average athleticism.

Its like we need some kind of cloning machine. Put Williams and Morris in and come out with a super-QB. :)

Funny thing is I see the same thing between Crow and Dewey.

Morris was 53% as a Tr Fr and Williams was 56% so how can Williams accuracy be a plus and Morris's be a minus?

I don't know what people expect from Tr Fr QBs (especially those that don't even practice with the 1st unit) but to say Morris has accuracy and read problems is premature.

Advertisement
Not hating, but last year's offense was loaded with talent and experience. This year is Fisch's to prove his talent.

Not hating, but last year's offense was loaded with talent and experience. This year is Fisch's to prove his talent.

talent? ok.

experience? ehhhh. streeter didn't play before last year. miller didn't have much experience going into the season either. sure jacory had lots of experience, but most of that only contributed to bad habits that became hard to break. those are probably the top 3 "playmakers" that we had on offense. the o line is talented and was experienced but did not play very well.

Advertisement
Back