Spring Game Question

I would suggest filling in about 1/5th of Lake Osceola at the center of campus.

The surface area of the lake is about 156 acres. Stanford's stadium, which we can look at as a reference, sits on about 18 acres including parking.

Most universities don't have dedicated stadium parking. Instead, they offer shuttle service to off-site parking

In 2003, when I graduated.
Hey buddy, you looked up the wrong Lake Osceola. The one that is 156 acres is in Winter Park, FL.

The Lake Osceola on campus is closer to 4 or 5 acres

Advertisement
Hey buddy, you looked up the wrong Lake Osceola. The one that is 156 acres is in Winter Park, FL.

The Lake Osceola on campus is closer to 4 or 5 acres

Am+i+doing+it+right+not+mine_b671f3_3160835.gif

I would suggest filling in about 1/5th of Lake Osceola at the center of campus.

The surface area of the lake is about 156 acres. Stanford's stadium, which we can look at as a reference, sits on about 18 acres including parking.

Most universities don't have dedicated stadium parking. Instead, they offer shuttle service to off-site parking

In 2003, when I graduated.

1. Stanford campus 8,180 acres :: []__[]Miami campus 239 acres
2. Wrong lake Osceola, chief. Plus, it would be a tough sell to fill the lake in this climate-sensitive political environment.
3. The Watasco Center is still missing seats behind the baskets in the upper tier because the city restricted seating capacity to 8k; how do you expect a 50k stadium to be approved?
4. If parking off-site is a palatable solution then downtown is a better location for access and egress.

You were on campus, long enough to get a degree, and you can't tell the difference between 4 acres and 156?

Last edited:
Culturally, yes. Logistically, HRS is located perfectly to maximize accessibility to Broward and Palm Beach. It might not have revitalized Miami Hardens, but Joe Robbie did pick an accessible location.

I have season tickets and grew up 10 minutes from there but it's just too far from campus... As a student, the metro ride to Culmner or Civic center was awesome. The old Miami Area, Design District or Miami Herald sites would have been a great options for a new stadium as well.

Last edited:
Because the University of Miami, with its 30,000 employees and students and $2.9 billion in annual revenue has no clout at all in Coral Gables.... a city with a total population of around 60,000.

This whole "Coral Gables would never allow it" narrative is ignorant as ****, to be honest. It's exactly what the BOT would want you to believe, and I suppose gullible people are going to lap it up.

Use common sense. UM is the biggest hitter in Coral Gables by far. If UM wants something done in that city it will get done.

Actually that narrative is not ignorant at all if you have dealt with the City of Coral Gables before.
If you somehow got past the city (you wont...and it takes a lot more than the Mayor) the property tax citizens of Coral Gables will NEVER allow it.
Even in a perfect scenario where you have the land and an easy local government to work with its a long difficult process to get the approval to build something like a stadium. What that land is zoned for plays a big part.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2. Wrong lake Osceola, chief. Plus it would be a tough sell to fill the lake in this climate-sensitive political environment.
3. the Watasco Center is still missing seats behind the baskets in the upper tier because the city restricted seating capacity to 8k; how do you expect a 50k stadium to be approved?
4. If parking of-site is a palatable solution then downtown is a better location for access and egress.

You were on campus, long enough to get a degree, and you can't tell the difference between a 4 acres and 156?

You're right.... I looked up the wrong lake osceola.

There is still room for an on-campus stadium. If you take Baylor's new stadium - the school is about the same size enrollment-wise as Miami - you can superimpose it on a google map of Miami's campus and find a few places to fit it.

One option that makes a lot of sense is to tear down the aging Wellness Center and build it over the Wellness Center grounds + IM fields. You could even have the end zone open up to the lake, and it would be sick as ****.

Shown below.

campus.jpg

There is still room for an on-campus stadium. If you take Baylor's new stadium - the school is about the same size enrollment-wise as Miami - you can superimpose it on a google map of Miami's campus and find a few places to fit it.

One option that makes a lot of sense is to tear down the aging Wellness Center and build it over the Wellness Center grounds + IM fields. You could even have the end zone open up to the lake, and it would be sick as ****.

Shown below.

View attachment 111977

When you put your foot down with total nonsense and stupidity, and someone takes that foot and stuffs it in your mouth, as happened in this thread, you slink back to the shadows and shut up. You don’t double down.

You thought you were slick with the Lake Osceola nonsense, as if you’re the first and smartest person to think of an on-campus stadium, and you completely whiffed. Embarrassingly. Time to find another thread, your work in this one is done.

I have season tickets and grew up 10 minutes from there but it's just too far from campus... As a student, the metro ride to Culmner or Civic center was awesome. The old Miami Area or Miami Herald sites would have been a great options for a new stadium as well.
Most attendees aren't students. That's what all the on campus proponents fail to understand. They wax nostalgic about the student section at the Orange Bowl, but they don't realize that times have changed. The area has grown and bad traffic has turned into impossible traffic. Having easy access from the turnpike is a best case scenario and they have it. Yes, it's a little more inconvenient for anyone south of downtown, but the access to a larger fanbase is worth it.

Advertisement
Coral Gables isn’t a person. Coral Gables doesn’t allow or disallow anything. Its politicians do. The mayor and city council are elected by the residents.

60,000 people live in the Gables. Between the student population and employees, UM has about 30,000 people. That’s not even counting family members.

That’s a huge voting bloc.

The mayor of Coral Gables, Raul Valdes Fauli, is a former UM trustee.

So Miami is about half the population of Coral Gables, and one of its own BOT is now the mayor, but you don’t think they have insane power?

Well IF that's the case, and UM and its supporters really wanted a stadium built next to their neighbors Gables homes, wouldn't it have already been built??

Face the facts, possibility of having an on campus stadium has long past by...like the Age of the Dinosaurs.

It's NOT coming back....a large stadium WILL NOT be built in CG ...not enoughopen space. So stop this madness.

There are very few IDIOTS on this planet that would willfully vote to have a stadium built near their home...( notice where most new stadiums are built)

So.why do some here expect the good CG citizens to do so??

When you put your foot down with total nonsense and stupidity, and someone takes that foot and stuffs it in your mouth, as happened in this thread, you slink back to the shadows and shut up. You don’t double down.

You thought you were slick with the Lake Osceola nonsense, as if you’re the first and smartest person to think of an on-campus stadium, and you completely whiffed. Embarrassingly. Time to find another thread, your work in this one is done.
:pgdead:

Most attendees aren't students. That's what all the on campus proponents fail to understand. They wax nostalgic about the student section at the Orange Bowl, but they don't realize that times have changed. The area has grown and bad traffic has turned into impossible traffic. Having easy access from the turnpike is a best case scenario and they have it. Yes, it's a little more inconvenient for anyone south of downtown, but the access to a larger fanbase is worth it.

Exactly. Catering to the 5k max students that would attend games instead of the 55k paying fans = dumb.

Advertisement
2. Wrong lake Osceola, chief. Plus it would be a tough sell to fill the lake in this climate-sensitive political environment.
3. the Watasco Center is still missing seats behind the baskets in the upper tier because the city restricted seating capacity to 8k; how do you expect a 50k stadium to be approved?
4. If parking of-site is a palatable solution then downtown is a better location for access and egress.

You were on campus, long enough to get a degree, and you can't tell the difference between a 4 acres and 156?
He has a Civil Engineering Degree in Land Acquisition...

HRS is not UM stadium. UM has to pay to use it. UM can’t just play there whenever it feels like it. And when UM does play games there, it must SHARE some of the revenue with Ross.

Ross rakes in 4 million a year from Canes Football

And THIS is why it’s better to have your own. Other schools, their revenue is their revenue. That’s money into the program.

Guys an on campus stadium would be really easy. It says on the internet there is a place called Titanic right next to campus. I googled it and it says Titanic is 882 feet and 9 inches long. A football field is only 300 feet long so we could definitely do it.

Advertisement

Shown below.
View attachment 111977. I

@RightSaidFred serious question. have you ever been to campus? there is NO reasonable person who would say the campus can hold a stadium. parking? tailgating? you see how close it it to neighborhoods? residents would flip. I use to live on Orduna drive about .5 miles north of campus. I can tell you there AIN'T one **** resident that I know that would allow it.

On field campus will never work because of logistics. I'm sure they could find room creatively to build a small stadium....but LOL at the traffic. Nobody is waiting 3 hours in and out to attend a game.

Just demolish Marlins stadium, **** on the rubble and rebuild there.

Downtown would be the best of both worlds. A few more students would attend, and with tri-rail you'd still have long-distance access options for Broward and North Dade people beyond driving. It's 2020 and we need to think outside the box as a city and tri-county region. Increase tri-rail and metro-rail to run every 5 minutes for 2 hours before and after sporting events (Marlin/Hurricane games), and 15 minutes during. I'm sick of the I95 clawback toll on publicly owned roads and the turnpike is a rip-off as well. Miami's public transport infrastructure needs a massive upgrade out to the beach and a Mayor to champion it.

Advertisement
Back