Spring Game Question

Guys an on campus stadium would be really easy. It says on the internet there is a place called Titanic right next to campus. I googled it and it says Titanic is 882 feet and 9 inches long. A football field is only 300 feet long so we could definitely do it.
Lol...CaneinOrlando got Tipsy in the Titanic Saturday....

Advertisement
Downtown would be the best of both worlds. A few more students would attend, and with tri-rail you'd still have long-distance access options for Broward and North Dade people beyond driving. It's 2020 and we need to think outside the box as a city and tri-county region. Increase tri-rail and metro-rail to run every 5 minutes for 2 hours before and after sporting events (Marlin/Hurricane games), and 15 minutes during. I'm sick of the I95 clawback toll on publicly owned roads and the turnpike is a rip-off as well. Miami's public transport infrastructure needs a massive upgrade out to the beach and a Mayor to champion it.
Tri-Rail was in its infancy when I attended, but I got the bright idea that it would give me time to do homework instead of driving. Problem was I'd have to leave and hour earlier every day because it took longer than driving. Mass transit is all well and good, but when you have to drive through traffic to get to the station and then take longer to get there, it kind of wipes out the benefits of using it.

But that only applies to the north. I've only been to Miami a handful of times in the last 25 years, a few of those in the morning trying to avoid the 7-9 AM window. I can completely understand the frustration of those coming from the south, but there has to be a solution that doesn't involve making things worse for those from the north. The transit problems are bigger than just the stadium and you are spot on about the solution.

You're right.... I looked up the wrong lake osceola.

There is still room for an on-campus stadium. If you take Baylor's new stadium - the school is about the same size enrollment-wise as Miami - you can superimpose it on a google map of Miami's campus and find a few places to fit it.

One option that makes a lot of sense is to tear down the aging Wellness Center and build it over the Wellness Center grounds + IM fields. You could even have the end zone open up to the lake, and it would be sick as ****.

Shown below.

View attachment 111977

1. Baylor has a 1,000 acre campus, chief.
2. You have to look at how people are going to access the space; infrastructure, traffic patterns, etc...
3. The city would have to approve any construction, and people aren't gonna be happy paying 7 figs for a two bedroom bungalow so drunk fans can use their swale as a parking lot or bathroom.

It's a culture thing and there's no football stadium going on in CG. Maybe tropical park with the Mas brothers and Beckham, but downtown would be the best place.

Advertisement
All other bullsh it aside, if they didn't want a stadium when we were actually winning games and championships, it won't ever happen.

Downtown would be the best of both worlds. A few more students would attend, and with tri-rail you'd still have long-distance access options for Broward and North Dade people beyond driving. It's 2020 and we need to think outside the box as a city and tri-county region. Increase tri-rail and metro-rail to run every 5 minutes for 2 hours before and after sporting events (Marlin/Hurricane games), and 15 minutes during. I'm sick of the I95 clawback toll on publicly owned roads and the turnpike is a rip-off as well. Miami's public transport infrastructure needs a massive upgrade out to the beach and a Mayor to champion it.

Downtown is a nice idea. It would help rebuild the area as well.

Access with the metro, brightline, etc.

It's still never happening, though.

LOL. Just read this in it's entirety. I was saying to myself, there must be another lake that I'm not familiar with!

Advertisement
It's the same tired discussion every single time with the exact same arguments. The proponents usually fall into one of two categories: 1) don't know the area and/or have no understanding of massive construction projects, 2) want the stadium closer to them so they have an easier time getting there.

Downtown is a nice idea. It would help rebuild the area as well.

Access with the metro, brightline, etc.

It's still never happening, though.

Sadly, I agree; it makes way too much sense and that's not what we do in Miami.
Hopefully, somewhere down the road, the right interests (egos & bank accounts) can align to make it possible.
Maybe someone powerful (rich) gets ambitious (egotistical) enough to make a bid (pay) for the summer games and that would solve all of our problems.

Last edited:
Tri-Rail was in its infancy when I attended, but I got the bright idea that it would give me time to do homework instead of driving. Problem was I'd have to leave and hour earlier every day because it took longer than driving. Mass transit is all well and good, but when you have to drive through traffic to get to the station and then take longer to get there, it kind of wipes out the benefits of using it.

But that only applies to the north. I've only been to Miami a handful of times in the last 25 years, a few of those in the morning trying to avoid the 7-9 AM window. I can completely understand the frustration of those coming from the south, but there has to be a solution that doesn't involve making things worse for those from the north. The transit problems are bigger than just the stadium and you are spot on about the solution.

I had friends do the same and decide to drive from Boca as well, but Games are on Saturdays and traffic shouldn't be a problem getting to the tri-rail.

Last edited:

I rode it with GF this Weekend (Was alittle tipsy) from University to Brickell...not bad at all...

Advertisement
Ross makes FOUR MILLION a year off of Canes football.

THINK about that for a minute.

Now I don’t know if it can be done. I just know money wise if it can be done, you do it!

Stadiums generate LOTS of money for the program and last time I checked, UM sports could use it.

I saw the Spring Game is 04/11 @ Traz-Powell, was curious why there and not at Hard Rock? I did a quick glance doesn't appear any event going on there on this date

@caneman73 So you lied about seeing the spring game on 4/11 @ traz somewhere and just made this up?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ross makes FOUR MILLION a year off of Canes football.

THINK about that for a minute.

Now I don’t know if it can be done. I just know money wise if it can be done, you do it!

Stadiums generate LOTS of money for the program and last time I checked, UM sports could use it.
How much money do you think it takes to maintain a stadium, especially a full NFL quality stadium?

How much money do you think it takes to maintain a stadium, especially a full NFL quality stadium?

Whatever it is, I’m sure it is far less than what you would be bringing in every year from the different revenue streams including naming and sponsorship. I look at it like a rental property.

Miami will NEVER be able to reach its full earning potential by renting. If I own a rental property that is paid off (no mortgage), I still need to pay for the upkeep of that property right? But the renters are going to pay for that and then some.

Right now UM is the renter, not the owner. If UM OWNS it’s own stadium, sure it will have to pay to maintain it but the revenue generated will be more than enough to do that plus bring in significant profit for the school. I bet you if you google where a lot of these schools generate revenue, a large portion will be from the stadium. Tickets, concessions, naming rights, concerts, parking, advertising etc

Whatever it is, I’m sure it is far less than what you would be bringing in every year from the different revenue streams including naming and sponsorship. I look at it like a rental property.

Miami will NEVER be able to reach its full earning potential by renting. If I own a rental property that is paid off (no mortgage), I still need to pay for the upkeep of that property right? But the renters are going to pay for that and then some.

Right now UM is the renter, not the owner. If UM OWNS it’s own stadium, sure it will have to pay to maintain it but the revenue generated will be more than enough to do that plus bring in significant profit for the school. I bet you if you google where a lot of these schools generate revenue, a large portion will be from the stadium. Tickets, concessions, naming rights, concerts, parking, advertising etc
Unlike traditional real estate, stadiums do not appreciate in value, negating any benefits of increasing equity, which is the bulk of the argument for renting vs owning.

I pay my lawn guy $150/mo but I can do it myself for a fraction of that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back