Spring game on campus now?

Are you guys aware we do a spring game every year on campus? Spring game first and foremost is done as a way to show off campus to recruits & their families. Campus has alot going on right now that families need to see. Not fans. Where's Iverson when you need him?
I told you Brooklyn don’t even waste money on diapers anymore.

We can’t save them all but if we’re keeping these ones alive for family’s sake hook’em up to the colostomy bag already.

Advertisement
I usually agree with your takes but not when it comes to fan support. This isnt intramural sports, college football is now a business and as such they need customers (regardless of if a lot of them are idiots). Big events should not be focused only on recruits, its an opportunity to reach your end user and gain more interest in the product.

Cant treat fans like an unwanted nuisance then turn around and ask the same people to support the team when its convenient to you.
You're misunderstanding me slightly. The root issue here is FIRST AND FOREMOST spring games are for recruits and their families. That's a fact that's not up for debate. It just is what it is. There's a reason we do 3-4 spring games each spring. 1-2 always will be on campus and the remainder spread out between dade,Broward & palm beach. That's just what it is brother. You say we need customers and you're absolutely right. But #1 we're not some sec powerhouse in some rural college town with nothing else going on. We're not bama,we're not oklahoma,texas,Ole Miss etc. No matter what we do we're not gonna get 50-100k fans who come out to support whatever product we put on the field. The ones who will, well in the spirit of calling them customers, that would make recruits the merchandise I suppose. What customers want to spend time and money on a below average product? We prioritize recruits with these events because theirs limitations on schools abilities to get everyone on campus together. This is necessary. Fans get to tag along. But it's far more important we have showcase events for our recruits whenever possible then it is to have a gathering for our fans that brings in minimal revenue.

You're misunderstanding me slightly. The root issue here is FIRST AND FOREMOST spring games are for recruits and their families. That's a fact that's not up for debate. It just is what it is. There's a reason we do 3-4 spring games each spring. 1-2 always will be on campus and the remainder spread out between dade,Broward & palm beach. That's just what it is brother. You say we need customers and you're absolutely right. But #1 we're not some sec powerhouse in some rural college town with nothing else going on. We're not bama,we're not oklahoma,texas,Ole Miss etc. No matter what we do we're not gonna get 50-100k fans who come out to support whatever product we put on the field. The ones who will, well in the spirit of calling them customers, that would make recruits the merchandise I suppose. What customers want to spend time and money on a below average product? We prioritize recruits with these events because theirs limitations on schools abilities to get everyone on campus together. This is necessary. Fans get to tag along. But it's far more important we have showcase events for our recruits whenever possible then it is to have a gathering for our fans that brings in minimal revenue.
Yeah we are kinda getting crossed up in the semantics I guess. I was more referring to the one open event that the public could attend when talking about the spring game. The original poster seemed to be saying there wont be an off campus game for the fans this year. If your talking all of the scrimmages then yes, I agree a good chunk should be closed and used for recruits/families etc.

There should be a way to balance our the product so there is something for everyone though.

And to the other poster, I live on the West Coast now so its been awhile since I attended a spring game but I did enjoy going when it was local. With not much else going on in the offseason I liked getting a first glance at next years squad and the newcomers. Maybe thats just me.

Advertisement
We should play one where they filmed Deliverence so we can get ready for the swamp chess pool and the inbreds
IMG_6791.gif

i know everyone needs their football fix but what’s the point in having a public scrimmage when you are trying to be as vanilla as possible and only run 4 different offensive plays over and over.

I say keep those scrimmages behind closed doors so the canes can run the other two offensive plays.

Advertisement
You do realize a ton of recruits will be in attendance like last year. Most schools have the privilege of having it be an unofficial visit to campus—this is our way of doing the same. After the game they will be all around the Hecht and Soffer Facility. They’ll probably bring in a few more bleachers and students will be able to come down and watch the scrimmage standing as well. Will be small, but you know it will be well-coordinated for the recruits to give them a little taste of the Coral Gables life they could be living for 3-4 years.

But of course we default to negativity.

Good leaders know one of the keys to changing minds is setting the right expectation. With the future of football being concentrated within two super conferences, a lot of fans are “scared of” becoming a G5 school. Moves like this from Mario and Dan will ease us into the embrace of that inevitable nightmare.

Advertisement
Might not be anything more overrated in all of CFB in relation to the fan perspective/experience than spring games.

@Brooklyndee is spot on. I'm fine with Mario treating the actual game as part of an on-campus recruiting event/weekend. Playing it at a soccer stadium in Broward or a high school stadium in Dade really doesn't achieve anything tangible.

And I say this as someone that has gone to most of these as a fan for the last two decades.

Last edited:
Cant treat fans like an unwanted nuisance then turn around and ask the same people to support the team when its convenient to you.
UM athletic department definitely doesn’t agree. They’ll treat you like ****, put out a garbage product and then have the balls to raise ticket prices.

Advertisement
Are we talking about the final spring scrimmage “spring game”? Or just one of the regular closed scrimmages they have leading up to it?

I told you Brooklyn don’t even waste money on diapers anymore.

We can’t save them all but if we’re keeping these ones alive for family’s sake hook’em up to the colostomy bag already.

Fans of super Mario unite!

I asked for details and my statement is accurate. “The Spring Game” is one game, not a series of games… cut the bull**** semantics games…

and I was on campus last week, so I know exactly what the campus has to offer… I was looking for details for this change of plans to see if I can figure out driving down with my daughter… since it’s not exactly convenient

And yes, at 12-13, a ****** baseball program and two basketball teams that took a step back, Miami Athletics should be making it as easy as possible to be involved, not more difficult… which is why I am asking you super fans for the details…since I like it being on campus...

I wish they would have just said it’s a closed spring game. The optics are so embarrassing having them bring in a few HS bleachers for a spring game. Just keep it closed. I’m sure InterMiami balked at us potentially scuffing up the field with the Messi investment.

Advertisement
Back