Speed at corner

We’re not ‘a team.’ We’re miami. We want to compete for hardware, not also-ran ribbons. We are in speed central. It’s our legacy, too. Andre Johnson is fast. Thrill Hill was fast. Kevin Williams was. Yatil Green. German. Dorsett. Portis. L. Miller. Buchanon. A. Burns. DVD. Bruce Johnson. We’ve had lots of fast guys. We just havent been recruiting speed well recently.
And Al (Froggy) Shipman would hold his own/ or beat all of them in a 40....

Advertisement
We’re not ‘a team.’ We’re miami. We want to compete for hardware, not also-ran ribbons. We are in speed central. It’s our legacy, too. Andre Johnson is fast. Thrill Hill was fast. Kevin Williams was. Yatil Green. German. Dorsett. Portis. L. Miller. Buchanon. A. Burns. DVD. Bruce Johnson. We’ve had lots of fast guys. We just havent been recruiting speed well recently.
Show me all these big time players locally with that type of speed that miami has missed on. Guys are just not that fast. Henry gray is the top ranked corner in sfla and he runs a 4.8.

They can be if the staff focuses on it.

The Butch years had a lot of speed.

At the WR position, Moss had a 4.31, Daryl Jones was a 4.3 or 4.4 and Andre Johnson was a 4.4 something.

Many of our RBs during that time were burners - Edge, Portis, McGahee. Davenport could move, but lost some speed after the knee injury against Ohio St. And James Jackson could move - a 4.55 at the combine, but he sure looked like a 4.4 guy from what I recall from seeing him break some big runs off. Maybe he had a slow combine.

Hopefully this new staff will continue to build the level of speed on the team. We need more.
Yep. Jackson was fast. S. Taylor was. Rolle was pretty fast. McGahee was really fast. Gore was quicker than anyone pre-injury.

Advertisement
They can be if the staff focuses on it.

The Butch years had a lot of speed.

At the WR position, Moss had a 4.31, Daryl Jones was a 4.3 or 4.4 and Andre Johnson was a 4.4 something.

Many of our RBs during that time were burners - Edge, Portis, McGahee. Davenport could move, but lost some speed after the knee injury against Ohio St. And James Jackson could move - a 4.55 at the combine, but he sure looked like a 4.4 guy from what I recall from seeing him break some big runs off. Maybe he had a slow combine.

Hopefully this new staff will continue to build the level of speed on the team. We need more.
Yep. Jackson was fast. S. Taylor was. Rolle was pretty fast. McGahee was really fast. Gore was quicker than anyone pre-injury.

Where is it?

I really like the guys we have on the roster, but aside from Couch and Bethel they aren’t burners. We need to inject some speed.

The local crop doesn’t seem to have the answer. Gray is running 4.8. Harrell had a PR of 11.76 in the 100M last year. Stanley is quicker than fast.

I hope somebody shows some juice at the Opening on Sunday.
Thats what happens when you get Plan B/Second Tier players

Show me all these big time players locally with that type of speed that miami has missed on. Guys are just not that fast. Henry gray is the top ranked corner in sfla and he runs a 4.8.
Just a year back, Shivers who went to Auburn was fast as heck, iirc. Obviously surtain, campbell, henderson. X. Williams. Just off memory from 1 year back. There are fast kids every cycle. We can go play the name game but it’s pointless. It’s a roster fact we have to live with that our speed aint what it should be. Deny all you want. Bet you a dollar Manny agrees with me.

Advertisement
You do realize that Pope has a faster 100m PB than Lingard? In short: Pope is fast.

But, i don’t know if it’s 7 on 7 … but I’m seeing less football/track athletes. That said, I would still take a 4.5 (maybe even a 4.6) “football player” over a 4.3 athlete who plays football.

it’s like anything else, you work at it. But you or your coach has to know what they’re doing. The biggest problem is most S&C do not know how to teach speed and that’s why most football players don’t improve their 40 from high school to college.

@Lance Roffers wrote a few weeks back that Greedy Williams was 4.7

I’ve been waiting for two years to see what Michael Jackson runs at the combine.
I did know that pope got a 100 time his senior year that was really fast. Not sure about wind aided on it but also, 40 and 100 are different. But it doesnt matter. I called pope fast. He isnt blazing fast, in any case.

There’s no point to the fast vs athlete discussion because i am not advocating for fast at the expense of athletic. Youre tilting at a windmill there.

We need more speed. You may not think so. I bet manny does.

Just a year back, Shivers who went to Auburn was fast as heck, iirc. Obviously surtain, campbell, henderson. X. Williams. Just off memory from 1 year back. There are fast kids every cycle. We can go play the name game but it’s pointless. It’s a roster fact we have to live with that our speed aint what it should be. Deny all you want. Bet you a dollar Manny agrees with me.
Im looking at these combine results and i dont see south florida dominating the 40s. And of course there are a few fast guys every year but yall acting like the past teams were loaded with 4.3 and 4.4 guys when it wasn't.

Im looking at these combine results and i dont see south florida dominating the 40s. And of course there are a few fast guys every year but yall acting like the past teams were loaded with 4.3 and 4.4 guys when it wasn't.
Are you seriously contending that our speed is comparable today to our better teams of the past?

Advertisement
Are you seriously contending that our speed is comparable today to our better teams of the past?
The overall team speed was better in the past but like i said the better players locally don't seem to be as fast as guys back then. Look at the numbers from the opening miami last year. Them shîts was trash.

Good could have been that guy in the 2019 class but we obviously passed on him. We might not have a 4.3/4.4 DB on the roster but we have an army full of DB's with tremendous length and run a 4.5

Advertisement
That is definitely part of it. Campbell, Surtain and Henderson were big misses. But I'm not seeing any guys in this class with legit 4.4 potential. Hopefully some speedsters emerge.

But they don’t have that dog in them and they are scared to compete so we’re good

Good could have been that guy in the 2019 class but we obviously passed on him. We might not have a 4.3/4.4 DB on the roster but we have an army full of DB's with tremendous length and run a 4.5
is it obvious? He looked like a great athlete to me. More concerned he bailed on us.

I remember that 100 m time for pope and probably have posts on this board noting it. Not sure he ever replicated it but no concerns with pope - the discussion is over elite speed generally.

I dont even want to ask for sub-4.3 guys. They barely exist. Benjamin was our last one, iirc. I think he ran a 4.28. Yes, get those guys. But we need a few 4.3 to 4.4 kids. And a few more legit 4.4 to 4.5 kids. A handful of game changing speed kids who can actually play football. 2 a year let’s say.

Advertisement
Back