Speed at corner

Its' always good to have fast guys. Let me just say that right away. However, with the short passing game becoming the norm in football in general, straight line 40 yard speed is starting to take a bit of a back seat to other attributes. Quickness and change of direction ability is premium, especially for a slot corner. Teams are going with bigger guys on the boundary who can get physical and have the height to match up on jump balls. You obviously can't be slow but running fast in a straight line isn't really as important for corners today.

Advertisement
Where is it?

I really like the guys we have on the roster, but aside from Couch and Bethel they aren’t burners. We need to inject some speed.

The local crop doesn’t seem to have the answer. Gray is running 4.8. Harrell had a PR of 11.76 in the 100M last year. Stanley is quicker than fast.

I hope somebody shows some juice at the Opening on Sunday.

Don't forget DVD was faster than anyone in Miami history.

Trajan runs legit 4.3/4.4 in the 40 and he ran a 11.07 100 in high school....Couch fastest time is 11.08

I think speed can be overrated at cb....give me a 4.5 guy with excellent technique rather than a 4.3 guy whose tech is avg.

Trajan runs legit 4.3/4.4 in the 40 and he ran a 11.07 100 in high school....Couch fastest time is 11.08

I think speed can be overrated at cb....give me a 4.5 guy with excellent technique rather than a 4.3 guy whose tech is avg.

I hear you but I get jealous looking at a team like Ohio State. They are pumping out 6'0 corners running 4.3-4.4 every year.

I hear you but I get jealous looking at a team like Ohio State. They are pumping out 6'0 corners running 4.3-4.4 every year.

Just was saying this Dmoney. I like the corners and clearly the staff loves size but we need to inject some speed back there bad.

Advertisement

I see what D$ is saying, but this is the truth. Give me a 4.5 guy who is physical and can cover and we'll be straight.

You're talking about unicorns to some extent. 6-0+ guys that are sub 4.4 are very rare and even rarer if they can play. Unfortunately, I think that's what Rumph is looking for and tends to put all his eggs in the proverbial freak athlete CB basket.

But yeah, I see your point.

Caizia Holmes could be an infusion, but From what I’m reading on here is that he’s intent on playing RB...like MAR...Short career at that especially w him not being a big guy.

I think he can play there... I can def see why we want him at corner, but I think Holmes can play RB. Looks like he put on weight between sophisticating and junior. Hopefully more this year.

Its' always good to have fast guys. Let me just say that right away. However, with the short passing game becoming the norm in football in general, straight line 40 yard speed is starting to take a bit of a back seat to other attributes. Quickness and change of direction ability is premium, especially for a slot corner. Teams are going with bigger guys on the boundary who can get physical and have the height to match up on jump balls. You obviously can't be slow but running fast in a straight line isn't really as important for corners today.

If we have 7 guys in the back 7 that are all fluid playing space, then we're in good shape. I agree with your take. If I have to pick defenders to be faster than average for their position, I'd rather it be our LBs and Safeties.

Advertisement
i dont think we have offered any burners.

I think they prefer size to the true speed.

The img kid is a track kid so he can run. Not sure if we get him though.

DMoney we got to see these opening results foreal. Still remember seeing Sanguinetti's early last year and calling it out that he wasnt that athletic. We are gonna see it with alot in this years group as well i believe.

Advertisement
i dont think we have offered any burners.

I think they prefer size to the true speed.

The img kid is a track kid so he can run. Not sure if we get him though.

DMoney we got to see these opening results foreal. Still remember seeing Sanguinetti's early last year and calling it out that he wasnt that athletic. We are gonna see it with alot in this years group as well i believe.

Ya, i think they could maybe take a look at Corey Thornton at some point? Depending on who doesn't come.

Pough still talking UM gogeta?

NO. not at all. Officially our Will backers currently will outweigh him by 25-30pds. Kid look pretty good playing safety at the All American game..he flashed alot.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Striker, though. TBH I expect it.

Advertisement
I see what D$ is saying, but this is the truth. Give me a 4.5 guy who is physical and can cover and we'll be straight.

You're talking about unicorns to some extent. 6-0+ guys that are sub 4.4 are very rare and even rarer if they can play. Unfortunately, I think that's what Rumph is looking for and tends to put all his eggs in the proverbial freak athlete CB basket.

But yeah, I see your point.

Nah, I think those guys get Rumph's attention for sure...But I think he recruits a nice mix

DVD and Brandon Harris were the last starting DBs on the UM track team I believe. El Chapo should push more of them to run track in the winter/spring. Even if they don't run in meets, they'll get faster.

Where is it?

I really like the guys we have on the roster, but aside from Couch and Bethel they aren’t burners. We need to inject some speed.

The local crop doesn’t seem to have the answer. Gray is running 4.8. Harrell had a PR of 11.76 in the 100M last year. Stanley is quicker than fast.

I hope somebody shows some juice at the Opening on Sunday.
Are you saying the DB capital of the country is not the holy land like most on here claim?

Advertisement
Back