South Florida recruiting myth.

Hstokes1447

Junior
For some reason there is a fantasy that the great coaches of Miami's past were locking down South Florida, signing every stud walking. Well the truth is there has only been one coach (not just Miami coach, but any coach in college football) to come close to locking down South Florida, Dutch Davis.

I decided to break down every player originally from South Florida drafted in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft between 1982-2006. You will quickly see that the history of South Florida has never been loyal to The U and even when Miami was on top great players got away.

1983 NFL Draft
#30 RB James Jones committed to Florida
#52 WR Wayne Capers committed to Kansas
#63 TE Jamie Williams committed to Nebraska

1984 NFL Draft
#8 CB Leonard Coleman committed to Vanderbilt
#27 OG William Roberts committed to Ohio State
#71 OG Stefan Humphries committed to Michigan

1985 NFL Draft
#6 OG Lomas Brown committed to Florida
#13 WR Eddie Brown committed to Miami
#85 WR Buster Rhymes committed to Oklahoma

1986 NFL Draft
#5 LB Anthony Bell committed to Michigan State

1987 NFL Draft
#3 RB Alonzo Highsmith committed Miami
#23 OT Bruce Armstrong committed to Louisville
#50 LB Winston Moss committed to Miami

1988 NFL Draft
#3 S Bennie Blades committed to Miami
#11 WR Michael Irvin committed to Miami

#22 RB Lorenzo White committed to Michigan State
#49 WR Brian Blades committed to Miami
#52 WR Brian Perriman committed to Miami

1989 NFL Draft
#4 LB Derrick Thomas committed to Alabama
#5 CB Deion Sanders committed to FSU
Jimmy Johnson missed on 2 of the best players to EVER play football at any level.
#21 DE Bill Hawkins committed to Miami
#25 S Louis Olive committed to Florida
#30 WR John Ford committed to Virginia
#68 DT Rhondy Weston committed to Florida
#78 S Greg Jackson committed to LSU

1990 NFL Draft
0 South Florida kids drafter

1991 NFL Draft
#23 WR Randal Hill committed to Miami

#62 LB Godfery Myles committed to Florida
#51 LB Carlos Jenkins committed to Michigan State

1992 NFL Draft
#33 S Darryl Williams committed to Miami

#38 DT Robert Harris committed to Southern
#57 DE Darren Mickell committed to Florida

1993 NFL Draft
#4 LB Marvin Jones committed to FSU
#14 C Steve Everitt committed to Michigan
#47 LB Michael Barrow committed to Miami
#53 LB Reggie Freeman committed to FSU
#54 LB Darrin Smith committed to Miami

1994 NFL Draft
#33 WR Isaac Bruce committed to Memphis State
#34 RB Errict Rhett committed to Florida
#58 RB Donnell Bennett committed to Miami
#61 TE Lonnie Johnson committed to FSU
#83 RB James Bostic committed to Auburn

1995 NFL Draft
#26 S Devin Bush committed to FSU
#47 WR Frank Sanders committed to Auburn
#78 WR Chris Jones committed to Miami
#79 FB Zack Crockett committed to FSU

1996 NFL Draft
#68 DT John Browning committed to West Virginia

1997 NFL Draft
#16 WR Reidel Anthony committed to Florida
#76 C Rod Payne committed to Michigan

1998 NFL Draft
#3 DE Andre Wadsworth committed to FSU
#9 RB Fred Taylor committed to Florida
#10 CB Duan Starks committed to Miami
#46 CB Samari Rolle committed to FSU
#74 WR Jammi German committed to Miami
#83 DE Greg Spires committed to FSU
#91 QB Brian Griese committed to Michigan

1999 NFL Draft
#5 RB Edgerrin James committed to Miami

#16 DE Jevon Kearse committed to Florida
#40 WR Tony Bryant committed to FSU
#51 LB Johnny Rutledge committed to Florida
#87 CB Mike McKenzie committed to Memphis

2000 NFL Draft
#6 DT Corey Simon committed to FSU
#20 OT Stockar McDougal committed to Oklahoma
#90 LB Nate Webster committed to Miami

2001 NFL Draft
#16 WR Santana Moss committed to Miami

#17 OG Steve Hutchinson committed to Michigan
#24 CB Willie Middlebrooks committed to Minnesota
#28 S Derrick Gibson committed to FSU
#36 WR Chad Johnson committed to Oregon State
#65 RB James Jackson committed to Miami
#72 LB Torrance Marshall committed to Oklahoma
#77 WR Snoop Minnis committed to FSU
#82 FB Heath Evans committed to Auburn

2002 NFL Draft
#17 CB Phillip Buchanon committed to Miami
#27 CB Mike Rumph committed to Miami

#63 WR Antonio Bryant committed to Pittsburgh

2003 NFL Draft
#3 WR Andre Johnson committed to Miami
#15 DE Jerome McDougle committed to Miami
#23 RB Willis McGahee committed to Miami
#25 DT William Joseph committed to Miami

#54 WR Anquan Boldin committed to FSU
#92 CB Juliam Battle committed to Tennessee

2004 NFL Draft
#5 S Sean Taylor committed to Miami
#12 LB Jonathan Vilma committed to Miami
#19 OT Vernon Carey committed to Miami
#21 DT Vince Wilfork committed to Miami

#29 CB Chris Gamble committed to Ohio State

2005 NFL Draft
#8 CB Antrel Rolle committed to Miami

#18 DE Erasmus James committed to Wisconsin
#55 WR Roscoe Parrish committed to Miami
#62 CB Bryant McFadden committed to FSU
#65 RB Frank Gore committed to Miami
#73 RB Vernand Morency committed to Oklahoma State
#75 CB Eric Green committed to Virgina Tech

2006 NFL Draft
#23 OG Davin Joseph committed to Oklahoma
#25 WR Santonio Holmes committed to Ohio State
#44 WR Sinorice Moss committed to Miami
#57 WR Devin Hester committed to Miami
#89 OT Rashad Butler committed to Miami

I would love to see his staff land more South Florida kids but the thought that every stud from South Florida should be a Cane just isn't realistic.

Advertisement
Deion Sanders wasn't from Miami. Born & raised in Ft Myers. So was Jammi German & Jevon Kearse. Also left out Ernest Graham if you're counting Ft Myers as SoFla talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Same difference Cash aka He's coming...you don't have a leg to stand on .

Simply stating most don't count Lee County as part of the SoFla recruiting hot bed... Oh & thx for being an *******

All i saw from this is there was an actual football player named Buster Rhymes. LOL LOL LOL, for real? Does he have that head nod **** that make you break yo neck? Woo Ha Woo Ha!

Advertisement
All i saw from this is there was an actual football player named Buster Rhymes. LOL LOL LOL, for real? Does he have that head nod **** that make you break yo neck? Woo Ha Woo Ha!

his real name was George but he is the reason behind the origination of the rapper Busta Rhymes' name. He was a lil bit before my time but old heads talk about him the way I talk about Frank. Apparently he was a monster RB back in the day for the West.

OP has quite a liberal definition for South Florida

Joe is Ft Myers SoFla recruiting to you? Just curious

No. I don't see posters up in arms when we lose guys from Fort Myers. It's an area where we have a strong presence and pull kids for sure but it's not the South Florida that has everyone rustled right now. People are upset about our misses in Dade, Broward & Palm Beach.

OP, so your point is we shouldn't be concerned about the number of elite SF recruits going places other than UM because we can win without them? I'd say with the present staff we honestly need to out talent opponents so we need as many elite recruits as we can get, particularly those within walking distance of the university. Good effort though.

Deion Sanders wasn't from Miami. Born & raised in Ft Myers. So was Jammi German & Jevon Kearse. Also left out Ernest Graham if you're counting Ft Myers as SoFla talent.

Howard Schnellenberger defined the "State of Miami" from Palm Beach County down. If you look at the map below you will see that Fort Myers is below Palm Beach County thus placing Deion Sanders within the "State of Miami".

77.gif

Advertisement
omg, the **** people will argue about and use to make a position that this year's class is going to be beter than mediocre at best.

Howard Schnellenberger defined the "State of Miami" from Palm Beach County down. If you look at the map below you will see that Fort Myers is below Palm Beach County thus placing Deion Sanders within the "State of Miami".

77.gif

Fair enough but I'm from Ft Myers & nobody I know ever considered us as part of that group... Miami isn't the same as it was when Schnelly was there either.

Advertisement
OP, so your point is we shouldn't be concerned about the number of elite SF recruits going places other than UM because we can win without them? I'd say with the present staff we honestly need to out talent opponents so we need as many elite recruits as we can get, particularly those within walking distance of the university. Good effort though.

I totally agree that this staff needs to load up on the elite talent, this would be a totally different team with just a handful of those studs that this staff missed. My point is, regardless who is the coach NO ONE will ever lock down all of the South Florida elite talent.

I think most of the people who are crying about Miami not landing South Florida talent really don't understand South Florida at all.

1. The education in South Florida will always keep elite kids out of Miami.
Look at the ratings of the High Schools that produce elite talent. These schools are all rated 4 and below according to GreatSchool.org

http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?search_type=0&q=miami&state=FL&distance=5&gradeLevels=h

2. Poverty is a huge issue in Miami. I grew up in Miami 79th and 15ave, right in Miami Northwestern school zone. Growing up it was normal for kids to live in a single parent home and not have much food to eat. Because of this elite football players from a very early age are auctioned off to the different football parks. This makes for the perfect environment for bag men to run wild.

3. South Florida has never been a place that is "brand loyal". South Florida is filled with transplants that have no real ties to the city at all. This isn't like Alabama where most of those kids families have been there since slavery.

We are simply dealing with a different beast that I don't believe any coach could overcome. Now don't get me wrong I don't think this is an elite recruiting or coaching staff, but on the other hand I am not so blinded by hate that I can't see the truth.

This makes me want Butch back even more. I also think that Don Soldinger deserves an enormous bulk of the credit for locking down South Florida the only time we really had that luxury.

Just like every year, we get some and we lose Some. Every school in the country comes down here. It's impossible to get all of them. What I don't like is once a kid commits Rudolph and Valentine then I blame the staff for not doing more or not keeping a tight relationship.

OP has quite a liberal definition for South Florida

Joe is Ft Myers SoFla recruiting to you? Just curious

No. I don't see posters up in arms when we lose guys from Fort Myers. It's an area where we have a strong presence and pull kids for sure but it's not the South Florida that has everyone rustled right now. People are upset about our misses in Dade, Broward & Palm Beach.

Not true!! There were massive meltdowns on every canes message board when Sammy Watkins committed to Clemson, and the crying continued every time he made sports center top 10.

Advertisement
Back