South Florida Quarterbacks (2014)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Looks like nine South Florida QBs went D-1:

Sean White, University (Auburn)
Treon Harris, Booker T (Florida)
Peyton Bender, Cardinal Gibbons (Washington State)
Winky Flowers, Jackson (USF)
Nico Pierre, Coral Reef (Duke)
Wade Freebeck, STA (Vanderbilt)
Alin Eduoard, Hialeah (Syracuse)
Bud Martin, Dillard (FIU)
Nick Jeanty, Miramar (New Mexico State)

And a tenth guy (Kahlil Render) never got a test score and is headed to JUCO. I think he's a better player than some of the guys on that list.

It is a new era in South Florida football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
For the sanity if this board I am kind of rooting against Sean White.

D$ has been banging this drum for some time. Looks like he may have been on to something.

D$ has been banging this drum for some time. Looks like he may have been on to something.

Only way I don't see that kid becoming a premier QB is if they try to make him a dual QB like their system calls for, or he gets concussion issues, cause he stands tall in that pocket and doesn't flinch no mater who is coming at him. And that quality can get an SEC QB killed

Advertisement
White is a good player but the only thing I wonder is if that system really will need a qb thats mobile. We've seen the mobile guys kill it but does the pocket qb have the same effect? Remember none of the Auburn wrs look that good by themselves but in the system they can kill it with a running qb and a rb or 2 that captures all 11 players on defenses attention

Only way I don't see that kid becoming a premier QB is if they try to make him a dual QB like their system calls for, or he gets concussion issues, cause he stands tall in that pocket and doesn't flinch no mater who is coming at him. And that quality can get an SEC QB killed

Sean White is very agile in the pocket. Moves well.

Coach gus isn't going to make Sean fit the offense, he will change the offense to fit Sean. Look how Auburns offense changed from the beginning of the year to the end.

Advertisement
I would take a Texas or California quarterback over a Florida quarterback 9 timea out of ten.

I would take a Texas or California quarterback over a Florida quarterback 9 timea out of ten.

Right now, absolutely. But times change. Texas has supplanted California as the quarterback capital, and it's not even close. Florida is way behind those guys but climbing. Spread offenses and 7-on-7 camps are revolutionizing Florida football.

Last year, a South Florida quarterback got picked before any Texas or California quarterback in the NFL Draft. This year, two Florida quarterbacks are going in the Top 10. It's possible that both guys go before the first non-Floridian.

This development is a great thing for Miami. We hit a home-run with Kaaya, but it's always more secure when you have local talent and don't have to go across the country to beat out the hometown schools. The better South Florida quarterbacks get, the better it gets for Miami.

i really, really have trouble seeing any of those guys be a NFL first round caliber QB four years down the road.

Advertisement
White is a good player but the only thing I wonder is if that system really will need a qb thats mobile. We've seen the mobile guys kill it but does the pocket qb have the same effect? Remember none of the Auburn wrs look that good by themselves but in the system they can kill it with a running qb and a rb or 2 that captures all 11 players on defenses attention

1jamaican, I know you are a good poster so I know this isnt just you talking mess like most. But Gus doesnt really try to shoe horn his players into one particular system. He looks at what he has and builds around what they do best. If you look at his track record you will see he has put up points rushing heavy, passing heavy, and balanced. Actually Malzahn was kinda known as a passing guy early on in his career. I think he had a 5k passer with 3 wr who went for 1k in a year.

The guy just took a DB and rode him to the BCS game running a hand full of plays, he didnt throw because he couldnt with what he had and was smart enough not to force it like some. He gets the best out of what he has believe that. If White is his qb, he will put him in the best position to succeed, he is not going to try to force white to run read options or anything like that. Only Malzahn is married to is hurry up no huddle.

1jamaican, I know you are a good poster so I know this isnt just you talking mess like most. But Gus doesnt really try to shoe horn his players into one particular system. He looks at what he has and builds around what they do best. If you look at his track record you will see he has put up points rushing heavy, passing heavy, and balanced. Actually Malzahn was kinda known as a passing guy early on in his career. I think he had a 5k passer with 3 wr who went for 1k in a year.

The guy just took a DB and rode him to the BCS game running a hand full of plays, he didnt throw because he couldnt with what he had and was smart enough not to force it like some. He gets the best out of what he has believe that. If White is his qb, he will put him in the best position to succeed, he is not going to try to force white to run read options or anything like that. Only Malzahn is married to is hurry up no huddle.

Ok I understand im only really familiar with him with Cam and Marshall now so that's why I thought that but this is a good assessment so I think he's in a good spot

South Florida qbs are making some noise... I would be surprise to see the majority of those guys on that list have solid college careers... Look at the instant impact of Jake O'korn last year... More and more south Florida qbs are performing on a high level...

Looks like nine South Florida QBs went D-1:

Sean White, University (Auburn)
Treon Harris, Booker T (Florida)
Peyton Bender, Cardinal Gibbons (Washington State)
Winky Flowers, Jackson (USF)
Nico Pierre, Coral Reef (Duke)
Wade Freebeck, STA (Vanderbilt)
Alin Eduoard, Hialeah (Syracuse)
Bud Martin, Dillard (FIU)
Nick Jeanty, Miramar (New Mexico State)

And a tenth guy (Kahlil Render) never got a test score and is headed to JUCO. I think he's a better player than some of the guys on that list.

It is a new era in South Florida football.

Names we will be hearing very often the next 4 years or so.

Advertisement
Back