South Florida quarterbacking

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
We have traditionally gotten our QBs from Cali, Pa, NJ. Cali and Texas in particular are ahead of the rest of the nation in QB development due to the number of parents and programs that bring in specialized coaching. However, thinking back over the last few years, South Florida has produced good to great talent at the position. It made me think as to whether or not Alin Edouard, Treon Harris and Quinton Flowers should be given a closer look at QB the position by Golden and Coley. Many say we won by having as pro style offense, but what is that really today? With QBs like Kaepernick, Wilson, RGIII, Luck leading their teams to the playoffs and mobile guys like Newton, Manuel, Tannehill, Locker, Pryor, Vick, Ponder being drafted highly, the QB position is changing.

This could have been our QB depth chart the last few years just by recruiting Dade and Broward counties.

Thaddeus Lewis Hialeah-Miami Lakes. 2006-2009 56 td. 24 ints. 59% comp. 7931 yds

Jacory Harris. Miami Northwestern. . 2008-2012. . 70td. 48 ints. 60%. Comp. 8826 yds

Geno Smith. Miramar. 2009-2012. . 98 td. 21 ints 67% comp. 11662 yds

Stephen Morris. Miami Pace. 2010- current. 28 td. 18 ints. 58% comp. 4868 yds

Ryan Williams. Miramar. 2010-current. 14 td 10 ints 58% comp. 2162 yds

Teddy Bridgewater. Miami Northwestern. . 2011-current. 41 td. 20 ints. 67% comp. 5847 yds

Rakeem Cato. Miami Central. 2011- current 52 td. 22 ints 64% comp. 6260 yds

This doesn't include guys like Jarrett Brown (WVU), David Thompson (UM), Jacoby Brissett (UF), Jake Rudock (Iowa), John O'Korn (Houston).

I think guys like Olsen and Kaaya should always be recruited and are excellent commits. However, guys like Edouard, Harris and Flowers shouldn't be written off so quickly after recent success by South Florida QBs. Lewis and Smith are in the NFL, Morris and Bridgewater will be and Harris is in the CFL still playing.

Advertisement
Quite frankly, I no longer have any idea what makes a good QB. Seriously. Who would have thought that Thaddeus Lewis was going to be an all league college QB?

****, I watched a 5'-10" kid from Sacramento named Seneca Wallace stink up the joint at Iowa State only to get drafted and hang around the league for a decade. The Niners just picked up him this year.

Advertisement
These are some talented guys but remember that it was like a carousel for OCs here and some may say that doesn't matter but that's a lot to deal with regardless of how talented you are.

Quite frankly, I no longer have any idea what makes a good QB. Seriously. Who would have thought that Thaddeus Lewis was going to be an all league college QB?

****, I watched a 5'-10" kid from Sacramento named Seneca Wallace stink up the joint at Iowa State only to get drafted and hang around the league for a decade. The Niners just picked up him this year.

Seneca Wallace was the team at ISU, he was a good player there.

Advertisement
I started reading this thread and thought "D$ will like this", scroll down and he already did:cool:

I agree. We have guys STUCK on something, heck we have guys calling our offense last year a prostyle and Fisch himself went and visited Holgerson, Malzahn, etc before the season to help put together what he wanted. Prostyle I think means what they run in the pros, but the pros now run what they run in college (spread, read option, etc)

I think we can compare it to old college teams who wanted to stick with wishbone and then being the innovators we beat em til they had to catch up, now those guys who grew up in that and stuck in nostalgia want to do that. Bump that. We got athletes down here and now we can produce our own Qb in addition we have been pumping out some great olineman lately. Im all for keeping the talent home. And as much as we have sucked there are plenty of QBs on that list that we would take

What is our system? bubble and slip screens under Nix? bombs away under Whipple? no running game under Fisch? make'em pay for blitzing under Olson? I think we need to at least consider building our offense, going forward, around the types of talent that are prevalent in our backyard and are starting to permeate the NFL en masse. I do think Coley is trending us towards that. I think in his mind the perfect guy for Coley is a Lewis type. Someone who is comfortable throwing it 300-350 times a season but also comfortable pulling it down and running about 80-90 times a season.

Advertisement

Thad Lewis got a chance to be coached up by David Cutcliffe @ Duke......he had some talent in him....Quite frankly i dont understand why more TOP QBS dont consider Duke...as Cutcliffe is LEGIT in qb mentoring.

Jut look @ the starke difference in Jacory from when Fisch came in..dude look different.

Well, we're taking Eduoard this class, and I'm sure Golden would have gladly accepted Teddy's commit. So it's not like the coaches are entirely against the idea of having a dual-threat QB and looking at the spread scheme. On the other hand, if we're going to have guys like 6'8 Seantrel Henderson and 6'7 Erik Flowers on our OL, a taller QB does come in handy.

Advertisement
Just rematched Edouards jr film. It's been awhile since I watched it, better than I remembered. Kid needs coaching but has a lot of tools in his belt to work with. Looks a little Vince Youngish running with a more fluid delivery. Not saying he'll have that kind of career but a great second QB to go with the more polished Kaaya. Great frame to grow into. I would take Harris or Flowers over Rosier. If they didn't work out they are dynamic enough to help out in other spots.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jB07t5O542U&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jB07t5O542U

Rusty, I would argue that the only successful teams in the NFL that resemble Alabama right now are Houston and Baltimore. Most of the other Super Bowl contenders like SF, Seattle, WSH ( think Oregon, Florida w/Tebow, Auburn w/Newton) and GB, NE, NO, ATL, Denver, Pitt (think OU, WVU, Clemson) incorporate more spread (run and pass looks) than they are traditional Pro Set.

I understand your argument 01 but we disagree and you just named the current NCAA and NFL champs as pro style. That should tell us something.

Not to high jack the thread, but "spread" covers a wide spectrum of offenses. The entire second group of NFL teams you identified have offenses not predicated on the QB running down field in true run/pass options, in fact there is no way several of those teams ever want to see that (and some QBS who can't do that). An offense that allows the QB to buy time with his feet, or seeks to create mismatches in space (the true purpose of the spread) is not a run/pass option.

There is no NFL offense like Tebow at Florida or Newton at Auburn, although Newton at Carolina two years ago was probably pretty close in terms of how it played out. They seem to realize he can't continue to get hit like that now. SF this year may get there too, but I doubt they subject Kaepernick to that kind of abuse.

Anyway, we can disagree. Maybe this will spark a "spread" thread and we can compare WVU's spread to the Oregon attack.

Advertisement
Back