South Florida OL

In before someone invokes false narrative of Coley knowing Kirkland was playing us.

Nailed it
Shooting fish in a barrel. Someone always brings it up any time Kirkland is mentioned. The "he was playing us and super sleuth Coley called him out" myth seemed plausible enough at the time but DMoney has explained the true story multiple times. With all we know about Golden's incompetence, it shouldn't be that difficult to accept the premise that he simply under valued Kirkland and botched his recruitment.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Proving my point. Freshman on the line should never be starting or doing anything that isn't mop up duty. Had to take almost a dozen this year due to al being absolutely horrendous with prepping each year and position with solid numbers
Expecting 2 18 year old kids to be significant contributors in one od the hardest positions is being ready????

The old maxim used to be that you needed to leave South Florida for OL. Golden has said it himself. Problem is, I don't think it's true anymore.

Look at our recent OL. Brandon Linder is a future Pro Bowler for Jacksonville. Ereck Flowers is a first round pick. Shane McDermott was first team All-ACC, and Jon Feliciano was a four-year starter.

We have a depth crisis at OL right now, and the problem is that we did not recruit enough South Florida OL. From what I've seen, we have four OL who can play in games-- Trevor Darling, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora and Kc McDermott. All four of those guys are from South Florida. The rest of the OL (Jones, Grimsley, Brown, Wells, Gall, Odogwu) are not good enough.

In 2013, myself and others felt that Denver Kirkland was a future NFL lineman. Our staff wasn't as high on him, botched his recruitment, and now he is a monster for Arkansas. In 2014, I was very vocal that we should offer A'Lique Terry (Hialeah) and Reginald Bain (Central). Golden vetoed both guys, and we ended up with Joe Brown and Tyler Grimsley. Bain ended up as a first-team freshman All-American for FAU, and Terry was a Day 1 starter for Wake Forest. Both would have helped us immensely this year.

Of course, we should still go out of state for studs like Milo and St. Louis. But the tide is turning locally in terms of OL prospects.

I've heard nothing but good about Brown from his first year of practice here. And there is nothing at all wrong with Gall. Knighton would be a starter by know if he hadn't had the heat issue but he should be back at full strength this year. James is raw but should be fine as well. Then we have St. Louis coming in June who is said to be probably ready to play as a freshman and maybe Milo as well. I think you grossly underestimate our readiness here.

How old were Darling and KC last season? Lindner?

His offer was reinstated, he chose to go to Arkansas. He was never gonna play for Coley after He called him out.

Or maybe he was never going to play for golden after he put him in the plan Z range, and then decided to have the nerve to send another coach to his house and force him to commit just to be in good standing with Thomas.

The old maxim used to be that you needed to leave South Florida for OL. Golden has said it himself. Problem is, I don't think it's true anymore.

Look at our recent OL. Brandon Linder is a future Pro Bowler for Jacksonville. Ereck Flowers is a first round pick. Shane McDermott was first team All-ACC, and Jon Feliciano was a four-year starter.

We have a depth crisis at OL right now, and the problem is that we did not recruit enough South Florida OL. From what I've seen, we have four OL who can play in games-- Trevor Darling, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora and Kc McDermott. All four of those guys are from South Florida. The rest of the OL (Jones, Grimsley, Brown, Wells, Gall, Odogwu) are not good enough.

In 2013, myself and others felt that Denver Kirkland was a future NFL lineman. Our staff wasn't as high on him, botched his recruitment, and now he is a monster for Arkansas. In 2014, I was very vocal that we should offer A'Lique Terry (Hialeah) and Reginald Bain (Central). Golden vetoed both guys, and we ended up with Joe Brown and Tyler Grimsley. Bain ended up as a first-team freshman All-American for FAU, and Terry was a Day 1 starter for Wake Forest. Both would have helped us immensely this year.

Of course, we should still go out of state for studs like Milo and St. Louis. But the tide is turning locally in terms of OL prospects.

Is Golden correct that this year he needed to go out of state to get OL?

Advertisement
Thanks for the analysis. seems you are right. we've had a good number of local OTs. As to having only 4, i think you missed Gadbois. He was making a great deal of progress before his injury, enough to see significant minutes and start 3 games before injury. He'll be starting this year and he has the dog in him.

I'm a big Gadbois fan but he has off-the-field issues to sort out before we can pencil him in anywhere.

He has seemingly always had off the field issues!

Proving my point. Freshman on the line should never be starting or doing anything that isn't mop up duty. Had to take almost a dozen this year due to al being absolutely horrendous with prepping each year and position with solid numbers
Expecting 2 18 year old kids to be significant contributors in one od the hardest positions is being ready????

I've heard nothing but good about Brown from his first year of practice here. And there is nothing at all wrong with Gall. Knighton would be a starter by know if he hadn't had the heat issue but he should be back at full strength this year. James is raw but should be fine as well. Then we have St. Louis coming in June who is said to be probably ready to play as a freshman and maybe Milo as well. I think you grossly underestimate our readiness here.

Almost a dozen?????? Six is almost a dozen?????

denver kirkland really stings man i hate golden

Hate him all you want, but get a different reason. Kirkland was trying to play Miami like a fiddle and got caught with his pants down when Coley came over from FSU. ***** him.

The staff did not like Kirkland as a player. This is from the horse's mouth. When they found out Thomas was leaning hard to FSU, they pushed Kirkland for an immediate commitment. When he didn't, they dropped him.

It was an unusual way to treat a local All-American. They treated him that way because they didn't like him much as a prospect. They were wrong, and the 2013 OL class was a disaster.

Again, this is from the horse's mouth as this was all going down.

Depends on which horse you listen to I guess. I've heard that story and the Coley story. Generally speaking, the explanation that makes the most sense or seems the most logical is usually the one that holds true, and, in this case, that would be the one with Kirkland playing games, IMO.

The Coley story is true in terms of Matthew Thomas. Once they found out Thomas was leaning FSU from Coley, they put the pressure on Kirkland to commit or get dropped. The reason they pulled Kirkland's scholarship and not Thomas's is because they liked Thomas and didn't like Kirkland. His failure to immediately commit gave them an excuse to drop him without alienating Booker T (or so they thought).

It's unheard of to pull the scholly of a local All-American that close to NSD. And the ironic thing is that we ended up with extra scholarships that year. It was an utter failure of both politics and talent evaluation.

Exactly as I was saying. That story is unheard of. Makes no sense it would be true. On the other hand, bringing in someone who was actually recruiting him for FSU late as we did thus exposing him would make sense. Kirkland had a chance to commit if he wanted to come to Miami. I just don't buy it.

Advertisement
DMoney...what did you think of Raul Diaz, the Center outta Central?

Very good player. Central's OL coach is very underrated, that whole line could play ball. I preferred Terry over Diaz because he was a little more stout, but Diaz was tough.

Pretty nutty that we have a depth issue on the OL when we have 50 of them on the roster. More Folden magic.

Couldn't remember the number and didn't feel like looking, but the point is still the same.

Almost a dozen?????? Six is almost a dozen?????

As to D's original point, local oline prospects are much better than they use to be. Seems like it use to be one OT every 5 years or so. Now there is a good one just about every year. I still say find talent where it is, but SoFl is more complete than it ever was.

Advertisement
I tried to explain how fat *** mucked up the recruitment of DK on another board, but the girlden girls weren't hearing me. Even if DK was playing us it would have benefited Girlden to not pull the kids offer, let things play out, and in the end, he doesn't get the bad publicity from pulling a kid's offer days before SD. But no. His dumb *** had to make a point. Well, point made corch, you're a dumb ***!

unlike in the past Miami does not need to leave florida for players. Coaching in the state, especially south florida, the inner-city teams are at an all-time high. our team could be 80-85 from the area and do very well.

For every decent south florida guy Al's brought in, he's let two go!!!!

Hopefully with the addition of Ice, beard and Darrow, this stops, but this years wr and db class don't help him. Not going to be happy when we see this type of post on those two positions in a few years!!!

Hate him all you want, but get a different reason. Kirkland was trying to play Miami like a fiddle and got caught with his pants down when Coley came over from FSU. ***** him.

The staff did not like Kirkland as a player. This is from the horse's mouth. When they found out Thomas was leaning hard to FSU, they pushed Kirkland for an immediate commitment. When he didn't, they dropped him.

It was an unusual way to treat a local All-American. They treated him that way because they didn't like him much as a prospect. They were wrong, and the 2013 OL class was a disaster.

Depends on which horse you listen to I guess. I've heard that story and the Coley story. Generally speaking, the explanation that makes the most sense or seems the most logical is usually the one that holds true, and, in this case, that would be the one with Kirkland playing games, IMO.

The Coley story is true in terms of Matthew Thomas. Once they found out Thomas was leaning FSU from Coley, they put the pressure on Kirkland to commit or get dropped. The reason they pulled Kirkland's scholarship and not Thomas's is because they liked Thomas and didn't like Kirkland. His failure to immediately commit gave them an excuse to drop him without alienating Booker T (or so they thought).

It's unheard of to pull the scholly of a local All-American that close to NSD. And the ironic thing is that we ended up with extra scholarships that year. It was an utter failure of both politics and talent evaluation.

Exactly as I was saying. That story is unheard of. Makes no sense it would be true. On the other hand, bringing in someone who was actually recruiting him for FSU late as we did thus exposing him would make sense. Kirkland had a chance to commit if he wanted to come to Miami. I just don't buy it.

To you. I've heard the story of Kirkland multiple times.

Also, after all the head-scratching decisions our coaches have made during recruiting you can't believe this story?

Advertisement
Smart thing to do is watch how the great running back recruits and the lineman who the great running backs use to open the holes. Great running backs will always give you a great lineman that a coaching staff can look at.

Thanks for the analysis. seems you are right. we've had a good number of local OTs. As to having only 4, i think you missed Gadbois. He was making a great deal of progress before his injury, enough to see significant minutes and start 3 games before injury. He'll be starting this year and he has the dog in him.

I'm a big Gadbois fan but he has off-the-field issues to sort out before we can pencil him in anywhere.

D, what does that mean...is he an ******* with grades or just lazy...c'mon

To you. I've heard the story of Kirkland multiple times.

Also, after all the head-scratching decisions our coaches have made during recruiting you can't believe this story?

Nope. Don't believe they would do something that stupid. As for unheard of, look above. You have heard this multiple times about Kirkland because anything negative about our coaches gets repeated over and over and taken as gospel. They know how to recruit and I just don't see them pulling a stunt like that. But hey, I'm open to proof.

Advertisement
Back