South Florida OL

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The old maxim used to be that you needed to leave South Florida for OL. Golden has said it himself. Problem is, I don't think it's true anymore.

Look at our recent OL. Brandon Linder is a future Pro Bowler for Jacksonville. Ereck Flowers is a first round pick. Shane McDermott was first team All-ACC, and Jon Feliciano was a four-year starter.

We have a depth crisis at OL right now, and the problem is that we did not recruit enough South Florida OL. From what I've seen, we have four OL who can play in games-- Trevor Darling, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora and Kc McDermott. All four of those guys are from South Florida. The rest of the OL (Jones, Grimsley, Brown, Wells, Gall, Odogwu) are not good enough.

In 2013, myself and others felt that Denver Kirkland was a future NFL lineman. Our staff wasn't as high on him, botched his recruitment, and now he is a monster for Arkansas. In 2014, I was very vocal that we should offer A'Lique Terry (Hialeah) and Reginald Bain (Central). Golden vetoed both guys, and we ended up with Joe Brown and Tyler Grimsley. Bain ended up as a first-team freshman All-American for FAU, and Terry was a Day 1 starter for Wake Forest. Both would have helped us immensely this year.

Of course, we should still go out of state for studs like Milo and St. Louis. But the tide is turning locally in terms of OL prospects.

Advertisement
Thanks for the analysis. seems you are right. we've had a good number of local OTs. As to having only 4, i think you missed Gadbois. He was making a great deal of progress before his injury, enough to see significant minutes and start 3 games before injury. He'll be starting this year and he has the dog in him.

Thanks for the analysis. seems you are right. we've had a good number of local OTs. As to having only 4, i think you missed Gadbois. He was making a great deal of progress before his injury, enough to see significant minutes and start 3 games before injury. He'll be starting this year and he has the dog in him.

I'm a big Gadbois fan but he has off-the-field issues to sort out before we can pencil him in anywhere.

I'm a big Gadbois fan but he has off-the-field issues to sort out before we can pencil him in anywhere.

His only off the field issue is recovering from his injury. When he was hurt he was one of the two or three best linemen on the team last year. And he is from Georgia.

Advertisement
denver kirkland really stings man i hate golden

Hate him all you want, but get a different reason. Kirkland was trying to play Miami like a fiddle and got caught with his pants down when Coley came over from FSU. ***** him.

His only off the field issue is recovering from his injury. When he was hurt he was one of the two or three best linemen on the team last year. And he is from Georgia.

He has other issues to deal with, not just the injury. I am the biggest Gadbois fan but there are reasons why we can't just pencil him into the lineup next year.

Advertisement
The old maxim used to be that you needed to leave South Florida for OL. Golden has said it himself. Problem is, I don't think it's true anymore.

Look at our recent OL. Brandon Linder is a future Pro Bowler for Jacksonville. Ereck Flowers is a first round pick. Shane McDermott was first team All-ACC, and Jon Feliciano was a four-year starter.

We have a depth crisis at OL right now, and the problem is that we did not recruit enough South Florida OL. From what I've seen, we have four OL who can play in games-- Trevor Darling, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora and Kc McDermott. All four of those guys are from South Florida. The rest of the OL (Jones, Grimsley, Brown, Wells, Gall, Odogwu) are not good enough.

In 2013, myself and others felt that Denver Kirkland was a future NFL lineman. Our staff wasn't as high on him, botched his recruitment, and now he is a monster for Arkansas. In 2014, I was very vocal that we should offer A'Lique Terry (Hialeah) and Reginald Bain (Central). Golden vetoed both guys, and we ended up with Joe Brown and Tyler Grimsley. Bain ended up as a first-team freshman All-American for FAU, and Terry was a Day 1 starter for Wake Forest. Both would have helped us immensely this year.

Of course, we should still go out of state for studs like Milo and St. Louis. But the tide is turning locally in terms of OL prospects.

I've heard nothing but good about Brown from his first year of practice here. And there is nothing at all wrong with Gall. Knighton would be a starter by know if he hadn't had the heat issue but he should be back at full strength this year. James is raw but should be fine as well. Then we have St. Louis coming in June who is said to be probably ready to play as a freshman and maybe Milo as well. I think you grossly underestimate our readiness here.

Hate him all you want, but get a different reason. Kirkland was trying to play Miami like a fiddle and got caught with his pants down when Coley came over from FSU. ***** him.

The staff did not like Kirkland as a player. This is from the horse's mouth. When they found out Thomas was leaning hard to FSU, they pushed Kirkland for an immediate commitment. When he didn't, they dropped him.

It was an unusual way to treat a local All-American. They treated him that way because they didn't like him much as a prospect. They were wrong, and the 2013 OL class was a disaster.

Again, this is from the horse's mouth as this was all going down.

I've heard nothing but good about Brown from his first year of practice here. And there is nothing at all wrong with Gall. Knighton would be a starter by know if he hadn't had the heat issue but he should be back at full strength this year. James is raw but should be fine as well. Then we have St. Louis coming in June who is said to be probably ready to play as a freshman and maybe Milo as well. I think you grossly underestimate our readiness here.

I've seen Brown practice quite a bit. He can't pass block. He flashes as a run blocker but is not ready to see the field right now or maybe ever. Gall has a golden opportunity to play but is currently being outplayed by Wells. Jahair Jones is struggling mightily. I'd be surprised if Knighton ever plays again for Miami.

These are just my opinions, but they are based on personal observations at practice and information from those who would know.

Advertisement
Expecting 2 18 year old kids to be significant contributors in one od the hardest positions is being ready????

The staff did not like Kirkland as a player. This is from the horse's mouth. When they found out Thomas was leaning hard to FSU, they pushed Kirkland for an immediate commitment. When he didn't, they dropped him.

It was an unusual way to treat a local All-American. They treated him that way because they didn't like him much as a prospect. They were wrong, and the 2013 OL class was a disaster.

Depends on which horse you listen to I guess. I've heard that story and the Coley story. Generally speaking, the explanation that makes the most sense or seems the most logical is usually the one that holds true, and, in this case, that would be the one with Kirkland playing games, IMO.

Anyone who thinks kirkland was committed to fsu is smoking dope he said it himself when thomas committed there if i knew you were going to sign at fsu i wouldve came to so how the **** did he end up at arkansas then goldie locks screwed us out of the best olinemen in florida that year because hes the smartest prick in the room

Advertisement
Expecting 2 18 year old kids to be significant contributors in one od the hardest positions is being ready????

How old were Darling and KC last season? Lindner?

Depends on which horse you listen to I guess. I've heard that story and the Coley story. Generally speaking, the explanation that makes the most sense or seems the most logical is usually the one that holds true, and, in this case, that would be the one with Kirkland playing games, IMO.

The Coley story is true in terms of Matthew Thomas. Once they found out Thomas was leaning FSU from Coley, they put the pressure on Kirkland to commit or get dropped. The reason they pulled Kirkland's scholarship and not Thomas's is because they liked Thomas and didn't like Kirkland. His failure to immediately commit gave them an excuse to drop him without alienating Booker T (or so they thought).

It's unheard of to pull the scholly of a local All-American that close to NSD. And the ironic thing is that we ended up with extra scholarships that year. It was an utter failure of both politics and talent evaluation.

His offer was reinstated, he chose to go to Arkansas. He was never gonna play for Coley after He called him out.

Advertisement
Back