South Florida football continues to distance itself

The State of Georgia had 30 players drafted while Florida had 37 players drafted. Florida's population is almost double that of Georgia, though I I don't have the numbers for high school age kids. Most of the guys drafted fall into 1 of 3 counties in GA (Cobb, Gwinnett or Fulton).

Public and private schools in the Atlanta city limits had 4 drafted. Gwinnett County is in metro Atlanta had at least 4 drafted as well.

Lived in Atlanta.....grew up in s.fla....

SH*t is TOTALLY different down here regarding football......Though i would like um to hit the metro atlanta every year for a prospect...

Some powerhouse teams in the metro atlanta area....though and i consider ga the 3rd-4th Best football state on a year in out basis behind FL/TX/CA.

The power dynamic in GA hs football has changed since I was in hs. All of the good teams would be scattered throughout the state, but mostly located in S. Georgia. Now, the almost all of the best teams are located in the ATL metro area (Large population increase, expected to continue), and Camden County is the only team from the south that's still dominating (beat Miami Central in a close one in 2010, lost to STA in 2010). Most years they're 3/4th best in recruits and quality of teams, but according to rivalshighschool.com, either in 2011 or '12 GA had the 1st/2nd best overall quality of hs teams.

Advertisement
The State of Georgia had 30 players drafted while Florida had 37 players drafted. Florida's population is almost double that of Georgia, though I I don't have the numbers for high school age kids. Most of the guys drafted fall into 1 of 3 counties in GA (Cobb, Gwinnett or Fulton).

Public and private schools in the Atlanta city limits had 4 drafted. Gwinnett County is in metro Atlanta had at least 4 drafted as well.

SH*t is TOTALLY different down here regarding football......Though i would like um to hit the metro atlanta every year for a prospect...

Some powerhouse teams in the metro atlanta area....though and i consider ga the 3rd-4th Best football state on a year in out basis behind FL/TX/CA.

The power dynamic in GA hs football has changed since I was in hs. All of the good teams would be scattered throughout the state, but mostly located in S. Georgia. Now, the almost all of the best teams are located in the ATL metro area (Large population increase, expected to continue), and Camden County is the only team from the south that's still dominating (beat Miami Central in a close one in 2010, lost to STA in 2010). Most years they're 3/4th best in recruits and quality of teams, but according to rivalshighschool.com, either in 2011 or '12 GA had the 1st/2nd best overall quality of hs teams.

FSU has always recruited GA. They had some good players come from that state.

Yup, and it looks like it's only getting better. But, why are we going to go there for their 2nd tier players? We haven't landed a blue chip from their since Allen Bailey. Kirby and Eddie J (2 or 3 star) are the only decent players that we've brought in from there, since. Maybe, J. Young.

Northside beat Booker T in 2008
Grayson beat Miami Central in 2012.
Camden County beat Miami Central in 2010

Booker T beat Norcross in 2013
Miami Central beat Stephenson in 2014

I know there are more but the point is FL isn't as far ahead of GA as everyone makes it out to be. At the end of the day it is a fact that 37 from Florida and 30 from Georgia were drafted. Florida has almost twice the population as GA which means a player born in GA is more likely to get drafted than one born in Florida. While I don't have the numbers I know FL produces a lot more D1 football players so I guess the real question is which one is true, either Florida high schools despite being the best are slightly over rated or players from GA are under rated.

Yup, and it looks like it's only getting better. But, why are we going to go there for their 2nd tier players? We haven't landed a blue chip from their since Allen Bailey. Kirby and Eddie J (2 or 3 star) are the only decent players that we've brought in from there, since. Maybe, J. Young.

Chris Herndon, Gadbois as well. Gadbois is very solid and has a NFL future if he wants it. Herndon is a beast and should get the ball a lot more. A complete mismatch

Advertisement
It's a **** shame this staff

A) Can't keep the elite ones home
B) Doesn't have a **** clue what to do with the few good ones we do keep

This is why so many of us are frustrated beyond ****. We're the definition of a sleeping giant. You don't even need a GREAT coach down here to win...you just need a decent coach with some semblance of competence.

That's the only hope left to hold on to...this will eventually be a quick turnaround if the day ever comes where Golden is eradicated from the system.

It's a **** shame this staff

A) Can't keep the elite ones home
B) Doesn't have a **** clue what to do with the few good ones we do keep

This is why so many of us are frustrated beyond ****. We're the definition of a sleeping giant. You don't even need a GREAT coach down here to win...you just need a decent coach with some semblance of competence.

That's the only hope left to hold on to...this will eventually be a quick turnaround if the day ever comes where Golden is eradicated from the system.

Can't keep the elite ones home but yet we had the most south Florida players picked in the top 80 picks?.... Please tell me more...

I know there are more but the point is FL isn't as far ahead of GA as everyone makes it out to be. At the end of the day it is a fact that 37 from Florida and 30 from Georgia were drafted. Florida has almost twice the population as GA which means a player born in GA is more likely to get drafted than one born in Florida. While I don't have the numbers I know FL produces a lot more D1 football players so I guess the real question is which one is true, either Florida high schools despite being the best are slightly over rated or players from GA are under rated.

No disputing the numbers. But you can win or at least compete for ships with top players from 3-4 counties in Florida year after year if you kept them home. I don't think you can do that with just GA players.

Advertisement

No disputing the numbers. But you can win or at least compete for ships with top players from 3-4 counties in Florida year after year if you kept them home. I don't think you can do that with just GA players.

Florida is the top dawg. But ga has emerged as the second best state IMO. They also produce the most sec players as well

You could win with just GA players. You can win with just Cali, TX, LA or Ohio kids. Too bad For UGA that Richt is a corch.

Last edited:

South Florida is far and way from any other region within a state

Asking again: Why can't we have SOMEONE who is COMPETENT to run EVERYTHING associated with this school. The administration has been one giant screwup since I was there.

Because they just don't care. Way back since the days of Tad Foote, the goal was a Harvard of the South. If he could have eliminated athletics, he would have. Those that have come after him don't give three shiits either. I've never understood why you wouldn't want both. Football IS a business. It can fund the entire athletic department and more if you know what you're doing.

Advertisement

Guess we'll see on August 29th. 4 top high schools from FL and GA will play:

Stephenson GA v. Amer Heritage
Marist v. Coconut Creek
Cedar Grove v. Hallandale
Tucker v. Godby

I think FL walks away with 3 out of the 4.

Guess we'll see on August 29th. 4 top high schools from FL and GA will play:

Stephenson GA v. Amer Heritage
Marist v. Coconut Creek
Cedar Grove v. Hallandale
Tucker v. Godby

I think FL walks away with 3 out of the 4.

Georgia vs Florida (Games in Bold will be played Saturday, Aug 29th all at Hallford Stadium in Atlanta, GA

Darlington GA @ Melbourne Central Catholic FL - Aug 21st
North Florida Christian FL @ Eagle's Landing Christian Academy GA - Aug 21st
Lincoln FL @ Camden Co GA - Aug 22nd
Plant FL @ Colquitt Co GA - Aug 28th
Bayside(Palm Bay) FL @ Lowndes GA - Aug 28th
Coconut Creek FL @ Marist GA - Aug 29th
Godby FL @ Tucker GA - Aug 29th
AH-Plantation FL @ Stephenson GA - Aug 29th
Hallandale FL @ Cedar Grove GA - Aug 29th

Santa Fe FL @ Charlton Co GA - Sept 4th
Jax Episcopal FL @ Savannah Country Day GA - Sept 4th
Madison Co FL @ Brooks Co GA - Sept 4th
West Florida FL @ Cairo GA - Sept 11th
Oakleaf FL @ Wayne Co GA - Sept 11th

Different football mentality and culture in Florida. Only place where a coach went 14-1, won a State championship and got let go 3 weeks later. Natl champs or nothing.

Rocco is an excellent coach and a great guy. I wish him the best at Mater.

STA's new coach, Roger Harriott, might never lose a game at STA. Roger is the real deal. He can coach and kids want to play for him because he, arguably, the best football coach in South Florida. He is already killing it there. He got Mike Irving, Jr. Udonis Haslem's son, Gibbons' QB and Cypress Bay's best player in the last couple of weeks.
Harriot is a football savant. Look at what he did at his last stop. Turned them from nothing to champs. There are some really incredible football coaches in South Florida--Harriott, Rumph, Casullo, Ice Jr. These dudes flat out get results.

Those guys are not just great Xs and Os guys, but incredible motivators.
The key word MOTIVATE.... I'm from the discipline that once a kid makes it to college 95% development is done... High School Coaches do the most developing followed closely by Pop Warner.. To make my point i bet most of the kids signed last year at a D1 school was a stud on his pop warner team... HS school coaches polish them up and teach them the strategy of the game... condition them with work ethics... A college coach should be teaching scheme polishing techniques and then MOTIVATE the kids to be the best that they can be...

Advertisement
Hmmm...plenty of room for development of technique at the college level. Not all kids are Shaq. The programs that prepare them vary considerably, even for kids who were, as you say, pop warner studs. We've had many kids who were high school studs who are very raw. Jamal Carter comes immediately to mind as an example of a kid with all the tools, but how needs good coaching to help him take his game to the next level.

Different football mentality and culture in Florida. Only place where a coach went 14-1, won a State championship and got let go 3 weeks later. Natl champs or nothing.

STA's new coach, Roger Harriott, might never lose a game at STA. Roger is the real deal. He can coach and kids want to play for him because he, arguably, the best football coach in South Florida. He is already killing it there. He got Mike Irving, Jr. Udonis Haslem's son, Gibbons' QB and Cypress Bay's best player in the last couple of weeks.
Harriot is a football savant. Look at what he did at his last stop. Turned them from nothing to champs. There are some really incredible football coaches in South Florida--Harriott, Rumph, Casullo, Ice Jr. These dudes flat out get results.

The key word MOTIVATE.... I'm from the discipline that once a kid makes it to college 95% development is done... High School Coaches do the most developing followed closely by Pop Warner.. To make my point i bet most of the kids signed last year at a D1 school was a stud on his pop warner team... HS school coaches polish them up and teach them the strategy of the game... condition them with work ethics... A college coach should be teaching scheme polishing techniques and then MOTIVATE the kids to be the best that they can be...

Hmmm...plenty of room for development of technique at the college level. Not all kids are Shaq. The programs that prepare them vary considerably, even for kids who were, as you say, pop warner studs. We've had many kids who were high school studs who are very raw. Jamal Carter comes immediately to mind as an example of a kid with all the tools, but how needs good coaching to help him take his game to the next level.

Maybe there is just a bit of exaggeration in my statement... And each coaching level should develop and prepare a kid for the next level... but still part of me believes ... at each level the development becomes less and less. And at the D1 one level motivation becomes key and just as important as development... D1 coaches win most of their games on NSD.

For the sake of the discussion, I actually agree with the idea you're pushing about the importance of bringing in top tier talent. No question that's important. However, as you have witnessed with our Canes, who just had more players enter the NFL than we did wins, coaching the young men up and putting them in the position to be successful is hugely important to overall team success. We have players selected by NFL teams often because scouts know many of our players have ridiculous talent and potential that if given the proper instruction with techinque and scheme they'll have a player on their hands. Sam Shields was that way. Luther Robinson is another example of a recent player with a lot of ability but who - in my opinion - was used incorrectly here. It took us a while to figure out Sam Shields didn't have elite hands, but he was quick, fast, agile, and physical with a competitive spirt. Sounds like a CB to me. That's on the coaches. I agree too that motivation is important, but I believe teaching techinque especially as it relates to the system (Off and Def) that you run is also important. Many kids like Shaq come in with both motivation and a strong technical base because they have been coached up well but many do not. Lots of youngsters get by on athleticism. Motivation will get guys moving, but correctly coordinating that movement is also hugely important even at the college level.

Maybe there is just a bit of exaggeration in my statement... And each coaching level should develop and prepare a kid for the next level... but still part of me believes ... at each level the development becomes less and less. And at the D1 one level motivation becomes key and just as important as development... D1 coaches win most of their games on NSD.

The problem with those FL vs GA games is that more often than not the GA team is going to out-coach the FL team. Unless of course the talent gap is so lopsided that coaching won't matter.

Advertisement
Back