South Florida football continues to distance itself

The State of Georgia had 30 players drafted while Florida had 37 players drafted. Florida's population is almost double that of Georgia, though I I don't have the numbers for high school age kids. Most of the guys drafted fall into 1 of 3 counties in GA (Cobb, Gwinnett or Fulton).

Public and private schools in the Atlanta city limits had 4 drafted. Gwinnett County is in metro Atlanta had at least 4 drafted as well.

Advertisement
Different football mentality and culture in Florida. Only place where a coach went 14-1, won a State championship and got let go 3 weeks later. Natl champs or nothing.

Different football mentality and culture in Florida. Only place where a coach went 14-1, won a State championship and got let go 3 weeks later. Natl champs or nothing.

Rocco is an excellent coach and a great guy. I wish him the best at Mater.

STA's new coach, Roger Harriott, might never lose a game at STA. Roger is the real deal. He can coach and kids want to play for him because he, arguably, the best football coach in South Florida. He is already killing it there. He got Mike Irving, Jr. Udonis Haslem's son, Gibbons' QB and Cypress Bay's best player in the last couple of weeks.

The talent in this area should have us in the national title race every year. It's a **** shame we are stuck in a cycle of **** coaching that has stretched over a decade.

STA's new coach, Roger Harriott, might never lose a game at STA. Roger is the real deal. He can coach and kids want to play for him because he, arguably, the best football coach in South Florida. He is already killing it there. He got Mike Irving, Jr. Udonis Haslem's son, Gibbons' QB and Cypress Bay's best player in the last couple of weeks.
Harriot is a football savant. Look at what he did at his last stop. Turned them from nothing to champs. There are some really incredible football coaches in South Florida--Harriott, Rumph, Casullo, Ice Jr. These dudes flat out get results.

Advertisement

Harriot is a football savant. Look at what he did at his last stop. Turned them from nothing to champs. There are some really incredible football coaches in South Florida--Harriott, Rumph, Casullo, Ice Jr. These dudes flat out get results.

Those guys are not just great Xs and Os guys, but incredible motivators.

Correct. Their results speak loudly and clearly for them.

I get a kick out of the guys who try to downplay the accomplishments of those HS football coaching titans by pointing to the talent on their teams. We should be acutely aware as UM fans that talent alone does nothing. You need great football men to harness that talent and lead.

Advertisement

I get a kick out of the guys who try to downplay the accomplishments of those HS football coaching titans by pointing to the talent on their teams. We should be acutely aware as UM fans that talent alone does nothing. You need great football men to harness that talent and lead.

I always laugh when people try to attribute their success to the players and not the coaching. As you so adeptly pointed out, you can have all the players in the world and not get good results because you are a bad coach.

Coach Smith is a legend, and he hired the best football coach out there to replace a great football coach.

Advertisement

I always laugh when people try to attribute their success to the players and not the coaching. As you so adeptly pointed out, you can have all the players in the world and not get good results because you are a bad coach.

Coach Smith is a legend, and he hired the best football coach out there to replace a great football coach.

Coach Smith showed the kind of guy he is by hiring a better coach than he was to replace him.

Look at Coach Rumph. This dude has NFL knowledge and brought it to the HS level. South Florida is loaded with great football coaches with NFL backgrounds.

Then, you have The Dean, Roger Harriott. Watch him dominate immediately at sta. No excuses. No "it's my first year". He will be a great HC and a phenomenal leader, and he will win immediately.

The haters on here yap about talent advantage. The players and their families know who the great coaches are. That's why they flock to play for a guy like Coach Harriott. They don't wind up with him by accident. It's like a great surgeon who has patients flying in from every corner of the world and has a 10 month waiting list just for an office visit.

Someone show me what Smith, Casullo, Harriot, Ice or Rumph did without a team full of D-1 athletes. I'll wait.

Matter of fact, a couple years ago Guandolo would be in the same conversation but now he's not mentioned because...guess what...NO MORE TEAM FULL OF D-1 ATHLETES. (thus no more domination)

Like I said, naivety.

Are they bad coaches? **** no. But to call a guy a "football savant" cause he won a state championship with a team full of D-1 kids? GTFOH

Matter of fact, show me what they do when the talent level is equal. STA lost to Miramar 3 years in a row. They also lost to Cooper freakin' City.

None of you coach, so yall don't realize the advantage that having a team full of D-1 kids gives you. STA's WHOLE OFFENSE is D-1. Let that sink in. From their O-line to their QB to their WR's.

On the opposite side of this subject, you have some great coaches at less talented schools who go completely unnoticed because they don't win states. At the end of the day, NONE of you know who the good coaches are, you're just basing your opinion off the results you see in the paper.

Keep in mind, not only do I know kids (or coached kids) who have played at some of these schools but I have game film of ALL of them.

You know what I see when I watch the film?

Not brilliance and innovation.

Players. Making. Plays. Period.

Advertisement

What a coincidence. All of the coaches who are loaded. LOL

Coach Macho, why do you think all of the top players keep going to school to play for Harriott, Rumph, Casullo and Ice, Jr.? They go because they know that they will get great coaching and a lot of exposure. There are certainly other good coaches out there, but to discount these proven winners is just wrong. Let's face it, where was U School before Roger Harriott took over that program, and what happened after he left? How many state titles did Heritage have before Rumph took over there? Exactly. These guys are great football coaches, anyway you slice it.

Ibiswingz, discrediting football geniuses like Harriott is odd. A guy like Saban gets great players too. Yet he's lauded as a genius. Hmmmmm....

Advertisement
Back