South Florida '18- The WRs

With the news of Pope and wiggins transferring, interesting to look back on this one..several guys in the OP currently in the nfl and some others contributing all over the country (Thornton, gammage, Austin, Harrell etc) easy to play revisionist history but gawd **** dugans did us dirty here
I mean... Dugans got pretty much who everyone in this thread wanted anyway lol

Man it's a horrible and sad read to go back to. 100% would not recommend.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say Dugans did us dirty. He got some of the higher rated players that everyone wanted at the time. Only problem was they were extremely overrated. An a lot of the underrated players had a chip on their shoulder an balled out elsewhere.

I remember watching the All American game with Trevor Lawrence and he played really bad and people were bashing him. One thing stood out to me was the fact that a lot of Miami commits were on his team. Mark pope looked horrible in that game and had no chemistry with Lawrence. That should have been a red flag right there. But most of us just ignored it.

Last edited:
It looks worse because we got Greg oden syndrome. We got the guys we wanted but Moore Thornton and tutu all went on to be players and all four of our guys fizzled away. We went 0/4 that class

What a complete dud of a class that looked spectacular at the time.

Mark Pope- We know the story here

Xavier Williams- Did nothing in his first 3 years at Bama, out for the season this year.

Kevin Austin- Did nothing as a freshman and junior, missed his sophomore season entirely. But he is playing well for them this year, averaging about 50 yards a game, 4th on the team in catches, 2nd in yards

Daquris Wiggins- Say no more

Dominick Watt- Signed with Nebraska, never enrolled, went the Last Chance U route and has done nothing. Bust.

Elijah Moore- Huge miss here, of course, in hindsight. Elite baller at Ole Miss, currently playing for the Jets. Monster. Bad, bad eval and decision.

Anthony Schwartz- Another miss, although I can see the hesitation out of HS. We all thought he was strictly a track kid. But excelled at Auburn and is playing in the NFL.

Corey Gammage- Went to Marshall and has been a solid contributor. Redshirted in 18, caught 13 balls in 19, caught 25 balls in 20, and is currently leading the team in receptions and yards by a large margin for a 4-3 Marshall team.

Lamont Finnie- What happened to this kid?

Akeem Hayes- Went to Kentucky, did nothing for 3 years, transferred to Arkansas State this year and has 5 catches on the season.

Terrell Perriman- Did nothing at Utah before being arrested for rape and kidnapping. More felonies than touchdowns.

Carlos Sandy- Complete bust at Illinois.

Bryce Oliver-3 years at Kentucky, did nothing. Transferred to Youngstown State, has 8 catches in 4 games for them.

Tyquan Thornton- Very good player at Baylor. All Big 12 honorable mention in 2019. Currently leading the team in receiving.

Marvin Alexander- 2 years at Kentucky, transferred to FAU. Bust.

Tyler Harrell- Hasn't done anything of note at Louisville in 4 years. He does have 3 TDs this year though, but only 7 catches.

Terrence Horne, Jr.- 3 years at USF, nothing noteworthy. Transferred to Western Carolina this year, has 9 catches on the season

Roy Livingstone- Juco kid, went the Last Chance U route, currently at something called Davenport.

Cornelius Mccoy- Very good player at Georgia State. Honorable mention or 3rd team all-Sun Belt each of his first 3 seasons. Has 7 catches this season.

Tavares Kelly – Went to UVA, didn't do much in 3 years, gave up football for track this year.

Ladarius Burrows- Wound up at Quincy University.

Ivan Thomas- Started at FIU for a year, then Hutch of Last Chance U fame for 2 seasons. Currently at LA Tech, has played in 5 games without a catch.

Atorian Perry- Goes by AT Perry now, balling for Wake. Didn't do much his first 3 years but tore up FSU a few weeks ago, had 3 TDs vs Syracuse, was the ACC receiver of the week for that performance. 2nd on the team in receptions and yards, and has 7 TDs.

Logan Giordano- Went to Eastern Michigan, didn't play much at all, I believe he no longer plays football.

Jamari Sweet- Playing community college ball in California.

Last edited:
Nope. Got to include Kevin Austin now.

18 receptions 317 yards and 3 TDs. Averaging 17 a catch.

Kevin Austin has 3 tds in his CAREER. He has a ways to go to catch up to Dee Wiggins.

This 2018 wr group was SHABBY as ****.

Elijah Moore, Schwartz, Tyqan Thornton have played better than all the guys who were initially projected to be better than them.

**** even Gammage is producing a bit.

To think back then we all thought it was a deep group of talent. SMH

Advertisement
What a complete dud of a class that looked spectacular at the time.

Mark Pope- We know the story here

Xavier Williams- Did nothing in his first 3 years at Bama, out for the season this year.

Kevin Austin- Did nothing as a freshman and junior, missed his sophomore season entirely. But he is playing well for them this year, averaging about 50 yards a game, 4th on the team in catches, 2nd in yards

Daquris Wiggins- Say no more

Dominick Watt- Signed with Nebraska, never enrolled, went the Last Chance U route and has done nothing. Bust.

Elijah Moore- Huge miss here, of course, in hindsight. Elite baller at Ole Miss, currently playing for the Jets. Monster. Bad, bad eval and decision.

Anthony Schwartz- Another miss, although I can see the hesitation out of HS. We all thought he was strictly a track kid. But excelled at Auburn and is playing in the NFL.

Corey Gammage- Went to Marshall and has been a solid contributor. Redshirted in 18, caught 13 balls in 19, caught 25 balls in 20, and is currently leading the team in receptions and yards by a large margin for a 4-3 Marshall team.

Lamont Finnie- What happened to this kid?

Akeem Hayes- Went to Kentucky, did nothing for 3 years, transferred to Arkansas State this year and has 5 catches on the season.

Terrell Perriman- Did nothing at Utah before being arrested for rape and kidnapping. More felonies than touchdowns.

Carlos Sandy- Complete bust at Illinois.

Bryce Oliver-3 years at Kentucky, did nothing. Transferred to Youngstown State, has 8 catches in 4 games for them.

Tyquan Thornton- Very good player at Baylor. All Big 12 honorable mention in 2019. Currently leading the team in receiving.

Marvin Alexander- 2 years at Kentucky, transferred to FAU. Bust.

Tyler Harrell- Hasn't done anything of note at Louisville in 4 years. He does have 3 TDs this year though, but only 7 catches.

Terrence Horne, Jr.- 3 years at USF, nothing noteworthy. Transferred to Western Carolina this year, has 9 catches on the season

Roy Livingstone- Juco kid, went the Last Chance U route, currently at something called Davenport.

Cornelius Mccoy- Very good player at Georgia State. Honorable mention or 3rd team all-Sun Belt each of his first 3 seasons. Has 7 catches this season.

Tavares Kelly – Went to UVA, didn't do much in 3 years, gave up football for track this year.

Ladarius Burrows- Wound up at Quincy University.

Ivan Thomas- Started at FIU for a year, then Hutch of Last Chance U fame for 2 seasons. Currently at LA Tech, has played in 5 games without a catch.

Atorian Perry- Goes by AT Perry now, balling for Wake. Didn't do much his first 3 years but tore up FSU a few weeks ago, had 3 TDs vs Syracuse, was the ACC receiver of the week for that performance. 2nd on the team in receptions and yards, and has 7 TDs.

Logan Giordano- Went to Eastern Michigan, didn't play much at all, I believe he no longer plays football.

Jamari Sweet- Playing community college ball in California.
Schwartz still can’t catch. All speed with him.

Kevin Austin has 3 tds in his CAREER. He has a ways to go to catch up to Dee Wiggins.

This 2018 wr group was SHABBY as ****.

Elijah Moore, Schwartz, Tyqan Thornton have played better than all the guys who were initially projected to be better than them.

**** even Gammage is producing a bit.

To think back then we all thought it was a deep group of talent. SMH
Kewl! still a million times better than most on this list including the guy you said was “the best WR in Broward”.

Why don’t you just admit that you were wrong instead of digging yourself a bigger hole?

What a sh1tty year. Surprising, actually.

Loved tyqun thornton out of HS. Baylor got a good one. Doesn't he have a relative (cousin?) that's a track stud also?

Kewl! still a million times better than most on this list including the guy you said was “the best WR in Broward”.

Why don’t you just admit that you were wrong instead of digging yourself a bigger hole?
LMAOOOO WHAT HOLE AM I DIGGING?.

Watt was a grade casualty, Austin isnt good.

Austin is a 4 star recruit who Mark Noodles Pope and Dee Wiggins have outplayed.

Seems like you cant admit you were wrong. lol

I've admit wrong plenty on here...I dont know what your infactuation is with Dominic Watt?. I know you were friends or knew Austin but sheesh.

I watched Watt play and seen him beat up on some div 1 cbs throughout that time. I stated he would of been a good player...he didnt have the grades and his high test scores were flagged. I dont understand the whole...YOU WERE WRONG ON DOMINIC WATT angle? He went the JUCO route what did that have to do with his ability in high school?

Im probably right more than wrong with S.Fla recruits.

In THIS SAME WR GROUP back then I stated I never liked Wiggins or Pope to tough. I liked Schwartz (even though we didnt have much play there) and Thornton as players and track kids.

I didnt expect Elijah Moore to hit like that..but that was more affected by the fact that he didnt do a **** thing at STA...but killed at Western. But Moore did do damaging things in 7 on 7 that sr year but ive never been a big 7 on 7 guy. and had a strong work ethic.

@Zbrod95 You my dawg...but you gottta let that hurt go lol. I'm still getting killed on here for Avery Huff...it happens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What a sh1tty year. Surprising, actually.

Loved tyqun thornton out of HS. Baylor got a good one. Doesn't he have a relative (cousin?) that's a track stud also?
I think he is related to Horne in that same group who is a burner as well.

Thornton, Horne, Nayqon Wright and a few div 1 kids were all on the same optomist team growing up...They were beating ppl up back then on the field.

A lot of character washouts on that list.

TuTu Atwell was listed with the QBs for space purposes, but you can add him to the list as well.
Another 1 I was really high on as a WR and called Roscoe Parrish out that group.

Keep on doing these position recruits by class @DMoney its always fun looking back 3 -4 years later.

Skill positions in S.fla is sooooo random. There could be a kid that didnt even start full time and have less than 20 receptions a year that makes it to the NFL.

I mean look at this kid from WAKE. I honestly never heard of his *** until this year...didnt even know he was from Palm Beach.

I feel in this class a kid like Camden Brown we will hear from down the road as a player.

Advertisement
Imagine how different this team is with Tutu Atwell, Elijah Moore, and Tyquan Thornton instead of the jabrones we got.
I dont think they could have evn mess up the issues on those 3...seemingly with the speed alone would have been major factors.

Im still confused as to what exactly made Pope a 5 star type recruit?. He had avg size, wasnt faster than the 3 above, and never had eye popping stats.

He became that simply off of the pub from the same guys that either coached him in college (cooney) and the pub for being the nextthing on the all star 7 on 7 squad. I never watched his high light tape while we reruited him as i didnt think he would come...he committed i watched it and even that was avg. Dee Wiggins always was a projection imo.

I dont think they could have evn mess up the issues on those 3...seemingly with the speed alone would have been major factors.

Im still confused as to what exactly made Pope a 5 star type recruit?. He had avg size, wasnt faster than the 3 above, and never had eye popping stats.

He became that simply off of the pub from the same guys that either coached him in college (cooney) and the pub for being the nextthing on the all star 7 on 7 squad. I never watched his high light tape while we reruited him as i didnt think he would come...he committed i watched it and even that was avg. Dee Wiggins always was a projection imo.

Dee, IIRC, got offered soon after showing out at paradise camp, no?

Agree on pope. He had really average stats his senior year - should have been a red flag. And he must have weighed no more than 155 in HS!

Dee, IIRC, got offered soon after showing out at paradise camp, no?

Agree on pope. He had really average stats his senior year - should have been a red flag. And he must have weighed no more than 155 in HS!
yea i think it was that he was a SFExpress kid following the beast wr's they had the prior years and with him doing similar things in 7 on 7 like them folks just automatically charted or hyped him to be the next 1 in line...when in all actuality he likely was always a group of 5..borderline power 5 type wr.

Dee Wiggins i think they liked him at an early camp his jr year...he was at Killian b4 transferring to Southridge to team up for their state win. Him and Scaife went over....That whole group has soured me to down south kids. lol

Leonard Taylor and Ty Stevenson is currently saving them.

Theres a lot of overrated kids down that way imo. The comp isnt as good as North Dade and they tend to team up on one team which plays good but then you dont know exactly how good they are...Also see Frank Ladson who was supposed to be another unreal prospect who i always watched film n thought what is every one seeing on.

Advertisement
Pope and Wiggins problem is they never got in the weight room. Pope is 170 and Wiggins never got bigger. They were projections that never reached where they needed to be.

Pope and Wiggins problem is they never got in the weight room. Pope is 170 and Wiggins never got bigger. They were projections that never reached where they needed to be.
No, the problem is that SFL prioritizes 7 v. 7 touch football over what people can actually do in pass.

Neither were productive at Southridge.

No, the problem is that SFL prioritizes 7 v. 7 touch football over what people can actually do in pass.

Neither were productive at Southridge.
South Florida prioritizes 7v7 the same way that Texas and Cali does. The weather is good year around for it. And with Pope and Wiggins, I blame Cooney’s play calling before those 2 on that level.

South Florida prioritizes 7v7 the same way that Texas and Cali does. The weather is good year around for it. And with Pope and Wiggins, I blame Cooney’s play calling before those 2 on that level.
No they don’t. Stop trying to be a recruiting guru. You’re not.

Advertisement
Back