South Florida '18- The WRs

View as article
I know lots of people on here wanted Thornton, Moore and Schwartz.

We do have 5 high quality kids returning in Keyshawn, Restrepo and the 3 Amigos. Hopefully Redding gets healthy, he's an unknown. And while we don't have a #1 in this 2022 class Ibieta looks ridiculously underrated and I like Horton, assuming both stick. Not sure I'd have WR at the top of my list of position groups in need of transfers.
We need one because we can’t keep asking young guys to step up. It’s not healthy for development. Keyshawn, X, and Mello are the only guys we know that can play and it’s only been in spurts with Mello.

We need 1 more year of a proven guy because we’ve done a poor job outside the last 2 cycles.

Advertisement
I know but who says they’re gonna be on Rambo’s level? Mid round WR talent aren’t just floating around. we just can’t keep asking freshmen to play so often. It’s just not a good way to develop. If we hit on this class then we would’ve had another year of Austin and no need for another transfer
Austin?. Hes not Rambo. Rambo just had a ho hum 200 yd game...with 2 drops that wouldve added to that total.
Wr and RB are the EASIEST positions to play freshman. Matter of fact Romello Brinson has made the best catch of the year. Restrepo and Keyshawn Smith are only SOPHOMORES next year.

Mid round wr talent IS floating around...**** we landed KJ Osborn out of Buffalo with ease. Im sure we can land a possible #1 wr or a #2 type through the portal this go around..especially with the success we have shown witht hrowing the ball.

I’m still not convinced on Schwartz. Idc if he’s in the league. He’s solely there for his speed. He still has some of the worst hands I’ve ever seen.

Austin?. Hes not Rambo.
Wr and RB are the EASIEST positions to play freshman. Matter of fact Romello Brinson has made the best catch of the year. Restrepo and Keyshawn Smith are only SOPHOMORES next year.

Mid round wr talent IS floating around...**** we landed KJ Osborn out of Buffalo with ease. Im sure we can land a possible #1 wr or a #2 type through the portal this go around..especially with the success we have shown witht hrowing the ball.
I’m not talking as in Austin is Rambo. I’m talking from a Reliability standpoint. Taj Harris just committed to Kentucky and Josh Moore hit the portal today but I’m always going to be skeptical about a kid being that fast but only averages 13 a catch.

Advertisement
I’m not talking as in Austin is Rambo. I’m talking from a Reliability standpoint. Taj Harris just committed to Kentucky and Josh Moore hit the portal today but I’m always going to be skeptical about a kid being that fast but only averages 13 a catch.
The Harris kid wouldve been cool since he already plays in the acc.
Dont know much about Josh Moore at all but i expect to see attrition and moves to be made after the szn.

If we can get a kid we think brings Osborn to Rambo level play or better, then of course it makes sense. But we are going to have A LOT of holes to fill across the team, especially LB, DE, CB, OL to pull together a ACCCG team. Roster management is going to be a challenge. ... Of course, our HS class could be really small given how many kids we're missing on there.

If we can get a kid we think brings Osborn to Rambo level play or better, then of course it makes sense. But we are going to have A LOT of holes to fill across the team, especially LB, DE, CB, OL to pull together a ACCCG team. Roster management is going to be a challenge. ... Of course, our HS class could be really small given how many kids we're missing on there.
That’s exactly the plan. Gaby basically announced that last week.

Met Pope at the Notre Dame game with all the recruits. I told my dad that it would be negligent to put the kid on a field with grown men. He legitimately looked like he was in middle school. I couldn't see how he ever would have a chance with that body.

Advertisement
Can’t explain how badly we ****ed up this class. We’re gonna end up portal hunting again.

Kevin is up to 500 averaging 17 a grab

Quan is having another dominant season and is probably gonna be drafted

Elijah is already in the league.

What do all three have in common. Elite size and athleticism to win 1 v. 1 and in Elijah case he could catch anything and dominated everybody he went against. Keep wanting the Mortimers of the world though.
Elijah Moore and TuTu Atwell had elite size?

By the way, we signed Brian Hightower, Dee Wiggins and Marquez Ezzard that year.

Met Pope at the Notre Dame game with all the recruits. I told my dad that it would be negligent to put the kid on a field with grown men. He legitimately looked like he was in middle school. I couldn't see how he ever would have a chance with that body.
Kids all around the sport playing at his size doing better than him. When you can’t catch you can’t catch

Whether it's Manny or a new coach, we need to spend more money and resources on a talent scouting department. Bring in some people who can work soley for the purpose of evaluating kids, and testing kids when the come on campus, and develop a formula.

I know Butch is scorned, but man I wish we could bring him in a scouting and development role. Find people that worked in scouting departments in the NFL, and people in the sports science industry. @DMoney has talked about it at length, there is talent here we are misevaluating. I know we are going to get beat by big money bag schools for some elite local talent, but no reason to have players like Elijah Moore, Tutu Atwell, Mikel Jones, Owen Carney, etc.... leaving to go to "lesser" schools because we can't evaluate.

Reviews

Mark Pope - Signed with Miami. One of the biggest busts in recruiting history. Transferred to Jackson State, out for the year, recently entered portal again.

Xavier Williams - Signed with Alabama. Stranded behind the gaggle of superstar wideouts. Transferred to Utah State in 2022. Did not play. Entered the portal again.

Kevin Austin - Signed with Notre Dame. Played 11 games as true freshman, 90 receiving yards. Suspended entire 2019 season for unknown reasons. Out with injury in 2020. Finally healthy in 2021, emerged as one of the nation's premier deep threats, recording 888 yards and 7 TDs on 18.5 YPC. Signed UDFA deal with Jaguars, currently on practice squad.

Dee Wiggins - Signed with Miami. Was always a developmental project due to traits (6'3 with 4.4 40) Thrust into starting spot due to other recruiting busts & lack of development in the wideout room. Performed poorly, with drops being a consistent theme in his Miami career. Transferred to Louisville in 2022. Out for the year with injury.

Dominick Watt - Dropped by UF. Signed with Scott Frost's first recruiting class at Nebraska. Didn't qualify academically. Played at Garden City CC in Kansas. Transferred to Waldorf University, an NAIA school in Iowa. I can't find any team stats but he was on the team roster as of 2021. Current status unclear.

Elijah Moore - Signed with Ole Miss. Superstar. Drafted by the Jets.

Anthony Schwartz - Signed with Auburn. 1400 yards & 6 TDs in 3 seasons. Good player but didn't morph into the superstar deep threat I'd anticipated. Drafted 3rd round by the Browns.

Corey Gammage - Signed with Marshall. Redshirted 2018. 13-187-1 in 2019. 35-409-4 in 2020. 78-869-2 in 2021. 49-724-5 in 2022. One of the best receivers in the Sun Belt. Draft prospect.

Lamont Finnie - Couldn't find anything on if he signed with any school. I see he plays semi-pro football for a team called the Magic City Bulls, he drives trucks for a company out of Fort Lauderdale called Mr. Green's Produce & he received a PPP loan for $20,875 last year.

Akeem Hayes - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Arkansas State. 5 catches and a TD in 2021. Transferred again, this time to Bethune-Cookman. 7 tackles on special teams in 2022.

Terrell Perriman - Signed with Utah. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019. Dismissed from school after being arrested for kidnapping and brutally raping a 17 year old girl. If convicted, his next position will be **** Catcher at a Utah state penitentiary.

Carlos Sandy - Signed with Illinois. In the rotation at receiver & returned kicks and punts as a true freshman. Injured in 2019. Injured 2020. Backup in 2021. Transferred to Nevada. Reserve in 2022.

Bryce Oliver - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Youngstown State. Caught 24 passed, 266 yards and 8 TDs in 2021. Rose up to one of the best receivers in the FCS in 2022, recording 59 catches, 821 yards and 10 TDs. NFL prospect.

Tyquan Thornton - New Nebraska coach Matt Rhule places a premium on verified track speed. He somehow flipped Thornton from UF to Baylor and held off a late attempt from Miami to get him to Waco. 3 TDs and 17 yards a catch as a true freshman. Meteoric rise into one of the nation's premier deep threats, as he drove Big 12 defensive coordinators into a frenzy. Ran a 4.25 40 at the combine, drafted in the 2nd round by New England.

Marvin Alexander - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019. Transferred to FAU in 2020, where he has been a reserve since.

Tyler Harrell - Signed with Louisville. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019 & 2020. Exploded as one of the top deep threats in the ACC in 2021, going for 523 yards & 6 TDs on 29 yards a catch. Transferred to Alabama. Battled injury all year in 2022.

Terrence Horne - Signed with USF. One of the best kick returners in the country as a true freshman before tearing his ACL midway through the year. Reserve in 2019. Injured again in 2020. Transferred to Western Carolina in 2021, where he has been in the rotation at WR and performed as the Catamounts' primary kick returner.

Roy Livingstone - Started out at Independence CC in Kansas. Transferred to Davenport University, a GLIAC school in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Has been a focal point of the offense since he got there & has sneakily developed himself into a training camp prospect.

Cornelius McCoy - Signed with Georgia State. Broke out as a true freshman with 35 catches, 495 yards and a TD. One of the best wideouts in the conference as a sophomore, totaling 757 receiving yards and 5 TDs. Limited to 7 games in 2020, going 31-447-4. Injured again in 2021. Transferred to Eastern Kentucky, where he starred on offense with 51 catches, 768 yards and 8 TDs. Doubt he gets drafted but will definitely be on an NFL training camp roster.

Tavares Kelly - Signed with Virginia. In the rotation as a true freshman. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Left the football team to focus on track & is one of the best sprinters in the ACC.

Ladarius Burrows - Signed with Quincy University, a DII school in Illinois. Redshirted 2018. Caught 173 yards and a TD in 2019. Current status unclear.

Ivan Thomas - Signed with FIU. Moved to tight end. Caught 7 passes as a true freshman. Played at Hutchinson CC in Kansas in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Louisiana Tech. Has been a reserve the past 2 seasons.

AT Perry - Signed with Wake Forest. Redshirted 2018. Did not play in 2019. Part of the rotation in 2020. Exploded as one of the best receivers in the country the last two seasons. Will be a high draft pick in April.

Logan Giordano - Signed with Eastern Michigan. Redshirted 2018. Did not play in 2019. Current status unclear.

Jamari Sweet - Started out at College of the Redwoods in California. Transferred to the University of Saskatchewan. Has been a backup since he got there.

Damarco Harris - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Advertisement
Reviews

Mark Pope - Signed with Miami. One of the biggest busts in recruiting history. Transferred to Jackson State, out for the year, recently entered portal again.

Xavier Williams - Signed with Alabama. Stranded behind the gaggle of superstar wideouts. Transferred to Utah State in 2022. Did not play. Entered the portal again.

Kevin Austin - Signed with Notre Dame. Played 11 games as true freshman, 90 receiving yards. Suspended entire 2019 season for unknown reasons. Out with injury in 2020. Finally healthy in 2021, emerged as one of the nation's premier deep threats, recording 888 yards and 7 TDs on 18.5 YPC. Signed UDFA deal with Jaguars, currently on practice squad.

Dee Wiggins - Signed with Miami. Was always a developmental project due to traits (6'3 with 4.4 40) Thrust into starting spot due to other recruiting busts & lack of development in the wideout room. Performed poorly, with drops being a consistent theme in his Miami career. Transferred to Louisville in 2022. Out for the year with injury.

Dominick Watt - Dropped by UF. Signed with Scott Frost's first recruiting class at Nebraska. Didn't qualify academically. Played at Garden City CC in Kansas. Transferred to Waldorf University, an NAIA school in Iowa. I can't find any team stats but he was on the team roster as of 2021. Current status unclear.

Elijah Moore - Signed with Ole Miss. Superstar. Drafted by the Jets.

Anthony Schwartz - Signed with Auburn. 1400 yards & 6 TDs in 3 seasons. Good player but didn't morph into the superstar deep threat I'd anticipated. Drafted 3rd round by the Browns.

Corey Gammage - Signed with Marshall. Redshirted 2018. 13-187-1 in 2019. 35-409-4 in 2020. 78-869-2 in 2021. 49-724-5 in 2022. One of the best receivers in the Sun Belt. Draft prospect.

Lamont Finnie - Couldn't find anything on if he signed with any school. I see he plays semi-pro football for a team called the Magic City Bulls, he drives trucks for a company out of Fort Lauderdale called Mr. Green's Produce & he received a PPP loan for $20,875 last year.

Akeem Hayes - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Arkansas State. 5 catches and a TD in 2021. Transferred again, this time to Bethune-Cookman. 7 tackles on special teams in 2022.

Terrell Perriman - Signed with Utah. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019. Dismissed from school after being arrested for kidnapping and brutally raping a 17 year old girl. If convicted, his next position will be **** Catcher at a Utah state penitentiary.

Carlos Sandy - Signed with Illinois. In the rotation at receiver & returned kicks and punts as a true freshman. Injured in 2019. Injured 2020. Backup in 2021. Transferred to Nevada. Reserve in 2022.

Bryce Oliver - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Youngstown State. Caught 24 passed, 266 yards and 8 TDs in 2021. Rose up to one of the best receivers in the FCS in 2022, recording 59 catches, 821 yards and 10 TDs. NFL prospect.

Tyquan Thornton - New Nebraska coach Matt Rhule places a premium on verified track speed. He somehow flipped Thornton from UF to Baylor and held off a late attempt from Miami to get him to Waco. 3 TDs and 17 yards a catch as a true freshman. Meteoric rise into one of the nation's premier deep threats, as he drove Big 12 defensive coordinators into a frenzy. Ran a 4.25 40 at the combine, drafted in the 2nd round by New England.

Marvin Alexander - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019. Transferred to FAU in 2020, where he has been a reserve since.

Tyler Harrell - Signed with Louisville. Redshirted 2018. Reserve in 2019 & 2020. Exploded as one of the top deep threats in the ACC in 2021, going for 523 yards & 6 TDs on 29 yards a catch. Transferred to Alabama. Battled injury all year in 2022.

Terrence Horne - Signed with USF. One of the best kick returners in the country as a true freshman before tearing his ACL midway through the year. Reserve in 2019. Injured again in 2020. Transferred to Western Carolina in 2021, where he has been in the rotation at WR and performed as the Catamounts' primary kick returner.

Roy Livingstone - Started out at Independence CC in Kansas. Transferred to Davenport University, a GLIAC school in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Has been a focal point of the offense since he got there & has sneakily developed himself into a training camp prospect.

Cornelius McCoy - Signed with Georgia State. Broke out as a true freshman with 35 catches, 495 yards and a TD. One of the best wideouts in the conference as a sophomore, totaling 757 receiving yards and 5 TDs. Limited to 7 games in 2020, going 31-447-4. Injured again in 2021. Transferred to Eastern Kentucky, where he starred on offense with 51 catches, 768 yards and 8 TDs. Doubt he gets drafted but will definitely be on an NFL training camp roster.

Tavares Kelly - Signed with Virginia. In the rotation as a true freshman. Backup in 2019 & 2020. Left the football team to focus on track & is one of the best sprinters in the ACC.

Ladarius Burrows - Signed with Quincy University, a DII school in Illinois. Redshirted 2018. Caught 173 yards and a TD in 2019. Current status unclear.

Ivan Thomas - Signed with FIU. Moved to tight end. Caught 7 passes as a true freshman. Played at Hutchinson CC in Kansas in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to Louisiana Tech. Has been a reserve the past 2 seasons.

AT Perry - Signed with Wake Forest. Redshirted 2018. Did not play in 2019. Part of the rotation in 2020. Exploded as one of the best receivers in the country the last two seasons. Will be a high draft pick in April.

Logan Giordano - Signed with Eastern Michigan. Redshirted 2018. Did not play in 2019. Current status unclear.

Jamari Sweet - Started out at College of the Redwoods in California. Transferred to the University of Saskatchewan. Has been a backup since he got there.

Damarco Harris - Can't find anything on him after high school.
haha that note on Lamont Finnie is wild.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back