Sources: Yearby to declare for draft

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami junior running back Joseph Yearby, who posted last night that he has played his final home game as a Hurricane, will be declaring for the NFL draft, multiple sources have told CanesInSight.com.

Yearby had one carry for two yards yesterday against Duke and had been surpassed by Gus Edwards on the depth chart in the closing weeks of the season. The Miami Central product had a 1,000 yard season for the Canes as a sophomore last year. He has 99 carries for 592 yards and 7 touchdowns this season. He has compiled 2,103 yards and 14 touchdowns over his Miami career with a 5.4 ypc average.

Last edited:
Advertisement
might as well. he won't unseat Walton next year and that kid from Maryland might be headed here.

Def the right move. He needs to work on the combine! Wouldnt be shocked if he had a cup of coffee in the league for a few years.

Advertisement
I don't agree with the decision, but the reality is that it's his decision. Good luck to the kid and his family.

I don't see Yearby as an NFL RB, but I think he was underutilized by the staff all year. I was disappointed he didn't get more carries. The staff wasn't giving him carries, so turning pro makes more sense than transferring. Disappointing end to his career at Miami.

I don't agree with the decision, but the reality is that it's his decision. Good luck to the kid and his family.

At best he is in a time share at Miami. He could transfer to a FBS school. He has played a ton the past 3 years, not as much past few weeks. I think the combine will be huge for him. I know he isn't Alex Collins, but iirc Collins was a 5th rd pick. Id expect Yearby to go 5-6 round, with a 4th rd grade if he blows up the combine.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd be shocked if he was drafted. He's a UFA candidate. He's a good player but the premium on running backs in the NFL rests with elite runners. Go to an FCS school if he wants to play and then see what happens.

I just don't understand why he wouldn't transfer to a program like Kentucky, Indiana, Texas Tech, or Cal (one mid level program for each P5 league other than ACC). Yeah he would have to sit out a year but he'd be the A1 guy his senior year, and would have a legitimate shot at getting drafted. I mean does he even have a shot this year? I wouldn't think so.

Advertisement
might as well. he won't unseat Walton next year and that kid from Maryland might be headed here.

Walton, Gus, Homer, and McFarland would be crazy. However, Homer as DB and KR, McFarland recovering from injury, and any other variables may leave him some opportunity

Kid is in a tough spot period. Plays a position in which your shelf life is very limited and his prospects of actually getting to showcase his abilities here while playing for free next year are also seeming limited. That said, it's still hard to say this is the "right" choice when there's probably a pretty good chance he won't get drafted at all by a league that simply doesn't value rbs even remotely close to the way they used to.

Could be a Danny Woodhead/James White type...3rd down back.... i knw he got kids gotta do whats best for his fam

Advertisement
Back