Off-Topic Sound of Freedom

Well a current US Rep had no clue coming in the country illegally was in fact illegal……

Here is the difficult part, though.

It is not always illegal, there are tons of exceptions, and there are shifting standards over time.

As one example, seeking asylum has HISTORICALLY not been deemed "illegal". We had people from the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries applying for asylum from the 1950s to the 1990s. I used to work for a guy who was on the Czechoslovakian national soccer team and who defected to the US in the early 1980s. Smart guy, he was an international tax expert.

And, for another example, IN THEORY, the entire Mariel boatlift was "illegal". And the US government has created this "wet foot/dry foot" exception.

Now, I realize that those may not be the examples that people cite with the Mexican border crossings. I get it. But it is also hard to make blanket statements about "illegals" when there are a LOT of different levels and reasons that apply to people who are in the United States but who are not citizens or who are not living with an up-to-date green card status.

Advertisement
It's too bad his dad is a history professor not a border patrol agent because border patrol agents are the only true sources of knowledge who exist. Or so I heard.
My dad is a car salesman so I dont know what he is talking about.

Who gathers data from the border? Im interested in hearing your answer.

Advertisement
I have actually watched that hearing and I think you might benefit from watching it as well. I especially recommend paying attention to what is being said by the elected blowhard politicians and what is being said by the CBP agents. Your first big hint is right there in the headline for that link, which only actually has one of the five words after the colon in quotation marks.

I have actually watched that hearing and I think you might benefit from watching it as well. I especially recommend paying attention to what is being said by the elected blowhard politicians and what is being said by the CBP agents. Your first big hint is right there in the headline for that link, which only actually has one of the five words after the colon in quotation marks.
Watched it and what is said is that its way worse than under the last administration.

“I don’t have the correct adjective to describe what’s going on”

Any amount over zero is a problem. Maybe focus there.

Advertisement
Watched it and what is said is that its way worse than under the last administration.

“I don’t have the correct adjective to describe what’s going on”

Is this an attempt at a Jedi mind trick or something? Say something different than what you'd been debating over, waive your hand like obi wan kenobi does in the movies, and poof no one realizes you've shifted your position at all- is that how you imagine it works???

Let's recap: AUCane said:
This is NOT a new thing as much as they want to alarm people with regard to an invasion. This has been going on for decades, sadly.

to which you replied:
Not close to the extent that it is now. Not even close

to which I replied:
This assertion is quite difficult to reconcile with the actual data.

If the debate had been about whether or not the activity at the border recently is substantially higher than it was 4 years ago, I would not have even commented or replied because that is a factually accurate assertion! What you were actually asserting though (prior to the attempted jedi mind trick) was that the recent border activity is much higher than it ever has been at any point in decades. So, directing you back to that assertion which you were actually debating with us, you were wrong.

Last edited:
Is this an attempt at a Jedi mind trick or something? Say something different than what you'd been debating over, waive your hand like obi wan kenobi does in the movies, and poof no one realizes you've shifted your position at all- is that how you imagine it works???

to which you replied:

to which I replied:

If the debate had been about whether or not the activity at the border recently is substantially higher than it was 4 years ago, I would not have even commented or replied because that is a factually accurate assertion! What you were actually asserting though (prior to the attempted jedi mind trick) was that the recent border activity is much higher than it ever has been at any point in decades. So, directing you back to that assertion which you were actually debating with us, you were wrong.
Its higher under certain administrations. We all know which administrations.

can you show me the caravan sizes now verse other caravans?

While you have no reason to believe me and im not saying you should. One of my best friends works in the big house and sees all the information. What we are seeing is on a level we haven't seen.

Last edited:

to which you replied:

to which I replied:

I think the issue is that he was talking about illegal immigration and I was talking about child trafficking. Two different arguments going on at once.

I think the issue is that he was talking about illegal immigration and I was talking about child trafficking. Two different arguments going on at once.
The thread topic regards child trafficking. We already have a thread for immigration.

Town Hall is already enough of a **** show that every thread can't devolve into an everything discussion. So responding as if the issue is trafficking is appropriate.

Advertisement

Very relevant point.

The sexual abuse of children has been happening for millenia. Acknowledging that fact is not the same as accepting/tolerating/justifying that fact.

I'll be honest, I'm in favor of the death penalty for pedophiles and child *** traffickers. I don't think there is an ounce of remorse or reform, and I think the recidivism rate is close to 100%, whether they are caught in the act or not.

At the same time, the movie itself is being used to push a lot of political ideology, and can even be seen in some of the attempts, on this thread, to shift the topic of discussion.

To a degree yes you are correct.

With more illegal immigration comes more child trafficking. With less illegal immigration comes less child trafficking.

Another reason a strong border is needed.

Very relevant point.

The sexual abuse of children has been happening for millenia. Acknowledging that fact is not the same as accepting/tolerating/justifying that fact.

I'll be honest, I'm in favor of the death penalty for pedophiles and child *** traffickers. I don't think there is an ounce of remorse or reform, and I think the recidivism rate is close to 100%, whether they are caught in the act or not.

At the same time, the movie itself is being used to push a lot of political ideology, and can even be seen in some of the attempts, on this thread, to shift the topic of discussion.
Agree with all of that except the last paragraph.

The movie is not political at all. The reaction to the movie is political which is odd.

Advertisement
Its higher under certain administrations. We all know which administrations.

can you show me the caravan sizes now verse other caravans?

While you have no reason to believe me and im not saying you should. One of my best friends works in the big house and sees all the information. What we are seeing is on a level we haven't seen.
I believe the data that has been meticulously created by CBP officers actions on a daily basis for the last several decades. It is not that ambiguous. Early 2000s straddling end of Clinton/start of Bush had CBP encounters at the southern border at a volume comparable to last year, Obama years the volume is meaningfully lower than now and then as well as meaningfully lower than what was seen overall in Trump years. What was seen in Trump years overall meaningfully lower than what has been seen in last two years.

Agree with all of that except the last paragraph.

The movie is not political at all. The reaction to the movie is political which is odd.

No. You're wrong.

I did not say the dialogue of the movie pushes political ideology, I said that the movie itself is being USED to push political ideology. Which is 100% true, there are plenty of articles out there, it's not "odd" at all.

Whether you want to be disingenuous and act like you are "shocked" and "surprised" at this "odd" reaction doesn't change the fact that it is absolutely happening. The movie was hyped by plenty of right-wing and fringe websites in advance of its release, lots of right-wing groups bought out entire movie theaters. The box office success of this movie was not some sort of "plays all summer long blockbuster" like Jaws, nor was it a building-word-of-mouth success like My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

This is one of those typical nonsense issues, where the existence of this movie (and/or its box office success) is hurled in the face of people who are not as overwhelmingly impressed by the movie, as if there is an "insufficiency of outrage" towards issues of child *** trafficking.

That is all. Whether you admit it or not, the faux-outrage and the you-must-see-this-movie hype has been organized along ideological lines. It has.

Again, I have no problems with setting the death-penalty as the mandatory sentence for pedophiles and *** traffickers. Kill them all, I'm fine with that. I'm just not convinced that a couple of commando teams and "going to see a movie" are putting a dent in a problem that has existed (and been known) for thousands of years. We simply have not mustered the collective societal will to root out these predators in our midst, and that is not a recent development.

What about the women in Arkansas that were silenced by the clintons? Under oath testimony to the abuses the Clinton's committed on women and children. Before Clinton ever saw the white house.
The females Bill Clinton was involved with (criminally or otherwise) in Arky were all grown women. Never heard any info about children. Anyone can make any scurrilous claim today, with no accountability whatsoever. smh

Last edited:
Again, I have no problems with setting the death-penalty as the mandatory sentence for pedophiles and *** traffickers. Kill them all, I'm fine with that. I'm just not convinced that a couple of commando teams and "going to see a movie" are putting a dent in a problem that has existed (and been known) for thousands of years. We simply have not mustered the collective societal will to root out these predators in our midst, and that is not a recent development.
If every American who ever viewed "Teen ****" sites or films featuring purported 16-17 yo's on the Internet were to be jailed, how many more prisons would we need to construct? And, yes, I understand many such sites use older girls pretending to be younger. Using that as an "excuse"to seek out those sites is sort of a cop out though, doncha think?

Advertisement
Back