Sorry...but Lashlee ain't all that....

This comes a week after putting 40+ on NC State.

Jesus Christ...
In fairness not really the best example. NC St has given up 40+ in 4/8 games this yr. I’m not agreeing with poster other than to say he leaves a lot of meat on the bone. Definitely an upgrade over years of total ****. Also we have only scored 33+ three times and those three teams are a combined 9-14.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In fairness not really the best example. NC St has given up 40+ in 4/8 games this yr. I’m not agreeing with poster other than to say he leaves a lot of meat on the bone. Definitely an upgrade over years of total ****.
This offense averages 33 points a game.

Given what it has looked last season and given that the personnel hasnt really changed besides one player, I gladly take 33 a game.

said it before the season he is more of a Malzahn guy then a Dykes air raid.

he is showing his true colors and what he is comfortable with. He is still young and will OC tie to grow as an OC hopefully as we get more weapons/better o-line
I think the play calling is more tailored to the tools he has at his disposal. His quarterback is more of an athlete playing quarterback than a QB who is athletic. It's not a knock on King, it's just what it is. The wide receivers are at best average. They've got some ability but they all have inconsistent hands and struggle against physical corners. The offensive line is below average. When asked to straight pass block with no run/pass threat, the interior got destroyed by VT. The best recipe for success with the current roster is to force the defense to respect the run, even if it means a ton of runs for 1 or 2 yards. If they can force a defense to commit to stopping the run game both running backs and QBs, it makes the passing game work better. He called the plays at SMU with a more traditional, throw first quarterback and a more competitive offensive line and the offense didn't look like this one. I'm curious to see how he plays it if/when TVD takes over at QB.

I think if we're giving out grades to Lashlee, we need to consider the team he inherited and the production they put up last season. They got an upgrade at the QB spot but lost the two leading receivers and leading rusher. The offensive line, which was the worst in FBS last year, returned intact besides an upgrade at RT. He's working with one hand tied behind his back but has still done an admirable job. He's not without criticism though. His insistence on operating at a hyper fast pace can lead to some lazy play-calls that seem rushed. They've become really good in short yardage (can't remember the last time they were even average in that area) but he'll still call a simple running play on second and 1 instead of using what's essentially a free down try something more aggressive. I mean they're converting at a high rate on short yardage, why not take a shot on second knowing you can easily convert third and 1? They can still get clunky and some of the conservative play calls in certain situations can be questionable but generally he's done a really nice job of fielding a productive and fun offense. Especially considering what he has to work with on the offensive line and at wide receiver. I'm curious as to how the offense will look next season even if King does return. At the very least, you're getting an influx of help at OL with Donaldson returning and quality recruits like Rivers and Walker pushing for playing time. I still think we're just scratching the surface with what he wants to do vs what the team make-up can realistically do.

Advertisement
Lashlee is good. Imagine this team with a good interior O line and top notch Wrs.

However, he and Manny are slow to adjust.

V Tech kept blitzing the backside backer especially in that bunch formation to the short side of the field.

Our guys seem to start making adjustments midway through the 3rd quarter.

Great coaching staffs can adjust from series to series and sometimes within series.

I think the play calling is more tailored to the tools he has at his disposal. His quarterback is more of an athlete playing quarterback than a QB who is athletic. It's not a knock on King, it's just what it is. The wide receivers are at best average. They've got some ability but they all have inconsistent hands and struggle against physical corners. The offensive line is below average. When asked to straight pass block with no run/pass threat, the interior got destroyed by VT. The best recipe for success with the current roster is to force the defense to respect the run, even if it means a ton of runs for 1 or 2 yards. If they can force a defense to commit to stopping the run game both running backs and QBs, it makes the passing game work better. He called the plays at SMU with a more traditional, throw first quarterback and a more competitive offensive line and the offense didn't look like this one. I'm curious to see how he plays it if/when TVD takes over at QB.

I think if we're giving out grades to Lashlee, we need to consider the team he inherited and the production they put up last season. They got an upgrade at the QB spot but lost the two leading receivers and leading rusher. The offensive line, which was the worst in FBS last year, returned intact besides an upgrade at RT. He's working with one hand tied behind his back but has still done an admirable job. He's not without criticism though. His insistence on operating at a hyper fast pace can lead to some lazy play-calls that seem rushed. They've become really good in short yardage (can't remember the last time they were even average in that area) but he'll still call a simple running play on second and 1 instead of using what's essentially a free down try something more aggressive. I mean they're converting at a high rate on short yardage, why not take a shot on second knowing you can easily convert third and 1? They can still get clunky and some of the conservative play calls in certain situations can be questionable but generally he's done a really nice job of fielding a productive and fun offense. Especially considering what he has to work with on the offensive line and at wide receiver. I'm curious as to how the offense will look next season even if King does return. At the very least, you're getting an influx of help at OL with Donaldson returning and quality recruits like Rivers and Walker pushing for playing time. I still think we're just scratching the surface with what he wants to do vs what the team make-up can realistically do.
Could not have said it better. I would add did not have a spring and limited fall practice to implement a new offense. With everything against him his play calling and offense a **** of a lot better than the last several years.

The best recipe for success with the current roster is to force the defense to respect the run, even if it means a ton of runs for 1 or 2 yards.
I feel the same way. Lashlee is sometimes calling runs into loaded box and I am thinking "What the **** is he doing", only to set up a RPO or a PA where every LB bites very hard a few plays later.

Lashlee runs only to have the run present. Its not something I would agree on, given that more passing tends to lighten personnel packages for the defense, but I am not in the mood to complain about that offense after eight weeks. That offense will be Top 5 in the nation once the O-Line is not at its below average standard.

Advertisement
Garbage take. He’s miles better than what we’ve had and this is year 1. He’s a young coach and we will get better. At least we know he’ll be here a while. Earlier in the season we were worried about him leaving. Let’s see him get some recruiting cycles under his belt and watch him progress.

I feel the same way. Lashlee is sometimes calling runs into loaded box and I am thinking "What the **** is he doing", only to set up a RPO or a PA where every LB bites very hard a few plays later.

Lashlee runs only to have the run present. Its not something I would agree on, given that more passing tends to lighten personnel packages for the defense, but I am not in the mood to complain about that offense after eight weeks. That offense will be Top 5 in the nation once the O-Line is not at its below average standard.
Good post. The offense seems to have its most explosive plays off the play action or RPO. The fake QB power/pop pass is technically a play action pass. You have to keep the threat of the run for any of that stuff to work. The line isn’t good enough to just run over everyone consistently but if you can keep the LB’s eyes in the backfield and force an extra safety into the box, you’ve accomplished a significant goal.

The amount of times I type a response, only to delete it because it's not worth the response that will follow..

Agree we lack talent...

but how do you explain a no-read QB keeper sweep to try to gain a critical 8yrds to ice the game against a D that had essentially completely shut down our run game for 4 quarters?

That was a coach calling a play forcing the O into its biggest weakness and take away DK’s most effective talent— let him read the play for RPO.

Did we surrender to VT that we cannot complete an critical 8yd pass play to our TE and WR?

Agree we lack talent...

but how do you explain a no-read QB keeper sweep to try to gain a critical 8yrds to ice the game against a D that had essentially completely shut down our run game for 4 quarters?

That was a coach calling a play forcing the O into its biggest weakness and take away DK’s most effective talent— let him read the play for RPO.

Did we surrender to VT that we cannot complete an critical 8yd pass play to our TE and WR?
Honestly, I think it was our coaches saying “VT isn’t going to be able to move the ball downfield enough to kick a field goal with no timeouts with limited time. They’re not a big play offense. I don’t 100% agree with the call but I’m not going to sit and nitpick every play call over the course of the season. I said there were quite a few I didn’t agree with including some over conservative ones. I still generally think he’s done a really good job despite my occasional play call gripes.

Advertisement
I’m not going to sit and nitpick every play call over the course of the season. I said there were quite a few I didn’t agree with including some over conservative ones. I still generally think he’s done a really good job despite my occasional play call gripes.

to my eye— our success this year is because:

1) DK
2) Jordan
3) Improved Wr play

Not sure that it’s Lashlee doing much.

to my eye— our success this year is because:

1) DK
2) Jordan
3) Improved Wr play

Not sure that it’s Lashlee doing much.
We had Jordan last year and the year before. We also had better wide receivers last year than we do this year. At the very least KJ Osborn is better than any of the guys in our rotation. King has been a major difference maker but that’s what having a capable quarterback does for a team. We just haven’t had one in a while

Advertisement
One thing I have not been pleased with concerning Rhett is how rarely he throws to the running backs in space. Arguably, our RBs are the shiftiest runners we have. I'd love to see Chaney and Knighton with the ball in space and some blockers in front. High percentage throws with capability for big plays. I look at Clemson, for example, and how frequently they throw to Etienne; some are nominal gains and some are 10+.

One thing I have not been pleased with concerning Rhett is how rarely he throws to the running backs in space. Arguably, our RBs are the shiftiest runners we have. I'd love to see Chaney and Knighton with the ball in space and some blockers in front. High percentage throws with capability for big plays. I look at Clemson, for example, and how frequently they throw to Etienne; some are nominal gains and some are 10+.

Agree. If he does throw it to the RBs, it's a toss to the flats - hardly a good oppty. I have yet to see a middle screen to anyone.

Do not see anyone claiming he is the greatest thing since Carter's liver pills. He is a **** of a lot better than what we have had the previous few seasons

Agree we lack talent...

How do you explain your takes other than a prior lobotomy?

Advertisement
Back