Something to keep in mind with all this flipping....

Advertisement
Comparing last year to this one misses the point of where the U was with the NCAA. With that in proper context the "close" by the staff including high profile pick up of AQM at all star game seemed impressive.

I have no doubt that Golden is working the phones etc as we speak. I admit, proudly, to being a Golden supporter.

However, his leadership is really needed right now and it does seem curiously muted. His press work after the bowl game was really sub-standard and lacking enthusiasm. The selective pulling out defensive stats was a weak defense of a very poor season ending performance. Most importantly it seemed really disingenuous that he lay low on the PSU issue until he realized that speculation was causing issues. I recognize that he needed to lay low but his explanation didn't help. Why didn't he just say he looked into the opportunity and he knows his heart is at the U because we are building something special etc...

I am rooting for him to be successful as are many (not all apparently) here. To paraphrase Simon & Garfunkel who were speaking for many when we were once looking for a hero...Al Golden "...our nation turns it's lonely hearts to you".

Come on Al, show us some bold leadership in the next 30 days!

Sent from my iPad

Muschamp is out there offering and flipping new players, even if they have lost some guys. And he made changes to his staff. At least they have hope.

This has been non stop negative news for two weeks now with nothing coming from Golden. Nothing.

Forgive me if I consider losing Collins & Kirkland to Arkansas, Bryant & Thomas to FSU and Bostwick to UF less than impressive. We also ignored Jesus Wilson (LOL) and lost one time commit Whitfield to FSU as well. Yeah, I am going to say that's less than stellar. We closed better the year before and the NCAA mess was even more in doubt.

But you're right, compared to last year with "sanctions looming", this close looks like it's going to be a giant cluster****.

And realizing what a dumpster fire we are now does not mean I am not rooting for us to be a success in recruiting.

Oh joy, the "We lost Kirkland" thing again. Because we didnt pull the kids offer when we knew he was jerking us around. See this is what I mean. Its always an excuse to b*tch and trash the staff. Last year it was good that we finally "made a statement with these kids jerking us around", now AG was stupid to do it and we "lost Kirkland" to Arkansas.

Advertisement
It is a dead period.. How would AG go about getting new targets to come in on a visit? Unlike SEC schools, he plays by the rules. Not one single person on here thought we were even in it for Heurtelou.. Going off the track record, we should finish just fine (maybe nothing earth shattering but still respectable) but none of us really know anything.

Him jerking us around and not coming here means that our coaches, as recruiters, failed to do their jobs. Had they succeeded at their jobs, he wouldn't have jerked us around and committed. Not only did they fail at their jobs in terms of getting him to come here, they were so bad at it the kid was able to jerk us around. So yeah, that means we lost him.

It is a dead period.. How would AG go about getting new targets to come in on a visit? Unlike SEC schools, he plays by the rules. Not one single person on here thought we were even in it for Heurtelou.. Going off the track record, we should finish just fine (maybe nothing earth shattering but still respectable) but none of us really know anything.

Does that track record include last week?

Oh yes, all these coaches are out there burning it up on the recruiting trail right now right? During the quiet period that doesnt end til the 15th? Coaches are fairly limited in how much contact they can have recruiting kids right now, so Im not sure how Muschamp is "out there" doing this and that, sounds more to me like a desperate program that is probably pulling out all the stops, regardless of the rules to save their @sses. Muschamp is out on his @ss next year if he doesnt have some major improvements, and he was half way out the door already with this recruiting class imploding. I havent heard of many other programs out there doing a lot of recruiting so Im not sure what you all expect AG to be doing other than making calls or taking calls to the kids he's allowed to contact right now.

Advertisement
Forgive me if I consider losing Collins & Kirkland to Arkansas, Bryant & Thomas to FSU and Bostwick to UF less than impressive. We also ignored Jesus Wilson (LOL) and lost one time commit Whitfield to FSU as well..

Kirkland wasn't getting in here regardless. As for Collins, AG discovered him, did everything he could to get him here & his coach pushed him elsewhere. How is that on Golden? FSU got MT6, we got Coley.. Whitfield wanted to run track with his cousin.. Thanks, Al. Bostwick hurt.. but we just got beat. It happens. F Keef. Lol @ Wilson. If you want to ***** about recruiting, start and finish with Skai Moore. That's on Al. So is Burgess Jr. Everything you are complaining about is just part of the game.

Him jerking us around and not coming here means that our coaches, as recruiters, failed to do their jobs. Had they succeeded at their jobs, he wouldn't have jerked us around and committed. Not only did they fail at their jobs in terms of getting him to come here, they were so bad at it the kid was able to jerk us around. So yeah, that means we lost him.

HOW? WTF are the coaches supposed to do when a kid lies to you? I mean are you just going to act like a numbskull on EVERY issue here?? You realize this happens to EVERY single coach, program and staff right? This happened to Butch, its happened to every coach in America. Kids commit, lie, commit to multiple schools. What "job" can the coaches do to preclude a kid from lying to them and saying they are coming when they are really playing around and ditching a school at the last minute? How exactly would you recommend our coaches "do their jobs" professor?

Does that track record include last week?

Sure. If Valentine can qualify, he ends up here. So you are complaining about losing a kid in Bethel who we took bc he helped with his teammates & fit a need? He isn't going to TT bc he likes them over FSU, UF, Bama, LSU, etc.. The Powell thing is odd.. I'll see how we finish before passing judgment. Regardless, of everything we can complain about right now, you choose our recruiting? Just doesn't make any sense.

Forgive me if I consider losing Collins & Kirkland to Arkansas, Bryant & Thomas to FSU and Bostwick to UF less than impressive. We also ignored Jesus Wilson (LOL) and lost one time commit Whitfield to FSU as well..

Kirkland wasn't getting in here regardless. As for Collins, AG discovered him, did everything he could to get him here & his coach pushed him elsewhere. How is that on Golden? FSU got MT6, we got Coley.. Whitfield wanted to run track with his cousin.. Thanks, Al. Bostwick hurt.. but we just got beat. It happens. F Keef. Lol @ Wilson. If you want to **** about recruiting, start and finish with Skai Moore. That's on Al. So is Burgess Jr. Everything you are complaining about is just part of the game.

This is pretty fair post. All I will say about Skai Moore, and what I have always said was its obvious he was a plan B/C guy for the staff. They used their evaluations, and they felt he was not someone they wanted to take early. This is NOT some revolutionary concept. EVERY staff has kids that they dont offer til the 11th hour, sometimes as late as the night before NSD or on NSD itself. That's how we got Teraz McCray, Butch did this also, just off the top of my head I remember we flipped Alfonso Marshall from WVU on NSD when we had a kid bail on us at the last minute too. It is what it is. The fact is, right or wrong, the staff was not as high on Skai Moore as some people on here, and he was a plan B/C guy that they offered late. It didnt work out. The ONLY reason the Moore thing REALLY came back to bite us in the @ss was that our LB corps ended up being decimated with the EJ, Paul, and Terry debacles, where we went from being pretty comfortable with LB depth, to a trainwreck over the offseason. But that's hindsight. Its easy to say NOW, oh we could have used a guy like Skai Moore, but at the time, the coaches felt we didnt need to reach as much, at least not early.

Look, no staff is perfect. These guys have made mistakes, and they are going to make more mistakes. Every coach does. Butch did too. Still think they have been getting better and better, recruiting has been improving, and they have managed to hold things together the last few years despite what was a pretty ugly mess hanging over our heads. I mean I marvel at how people trivialize the NCAA mess. On top of the fact that we had been irrelevant and mediocre for a decade, we had all that sh*t hanging over our heads, AND we couldnt even fight other programs on even CLOSE to even terms because of everyone looking over our shoulders, and this staff still managed to put together some decent classes. That is a huge improvement over Shannon whose recruiting got consistently worse every year, not just in terms of personnel, but in recruiting for needs and roster management. And they are doing all of this, while making less than the staff at f*cking Wake Forest.

Advertisement

Kirkland wasn't getting in here regardless. As for Collins, AG discovered him, did everything he could to get him here & his coach pushed him elsewhere. How is that on Golden? FSU got MT6, we got Coley.. Whitfield wanted to run track with his cousin.. Thanks, Al. Bostwick hurt.. but we just got beat. It happens. F Keef. Lol @ Wilson. If you want to ***** about recruiting, start and finish with Skai Moore. That's on Al. So is Burgess Jr. Everything you are complaining about is just part of the game.

Just keep spinning

HOW? WTF are the coaches supposed to do when a kid lies to you? I mean are you just going to act like a numbskull on EVERY issue here?? You realize this happens to EVERY single coach, program and staff right? This happened to Butch, its happened to every coach in America. Kids commit, lie, commit to multiple schools. What "job" can the coaches do to preclude a kid from lying to them and saying they are coming when they are really playing around and ditching a school at the last minute? How exactly would you recommend our coaches "do their jobs" professor?

So, our recruitment of Denver Kirkland was a success? Golden and staff succeeded at their jobs as recruiters in regards to Kirkland, Thomas, Bryant, Bostwick, Collins, etc?

As a fan of the program you are satisfied with letting slip away elite local player after elite local player?

There is no dead period. Dead period is supposed to limit contact but that never happens. Only thing the dead period really does is stop OVs & face to face visits.

Advertisement
There is no dead period. Dead period is supposed to limit contact but that never happens. Only thing the dead period really does is stop OVs & face to face visits.

Which is why I said AG's probably been working the phones hard. But other people keep asking why he's not out there doing this and that, and its hard for him to be visiting kids or having the staff in kids houses, when we are in a dead period.

So, our recruitment of Denver Kirkland was a success? Golden and staff succeeded at their jobs as recruiters in regards to Kirkland, Thomas, Bryant, Bostwick, Collins, etc?

As a fan of the program you are satisfied with letting slip away elite local player after elite local player?

As far as Kirkland, I dont know. There has been a lot of talk since last year that the staff was never all that high on Kirkland, and the reason they had offered him was to try to lure MT also. As far as the others, clearly not. BUt that doesnt mean they didnt do their jobs. You presuppose that the final outcome of all this is somehow in the hands of the staff, and it is NOT. A man suffers a massive heart attack and is rushed to the Hospital. He's rushed into emergency heart surgery, but he dies nevertheless. Was it a success? No. But does that mean the doctor didnt do his job?

All the staff can do is make every effort to recruit the kids they want, and try to get them to commit. If in the end, despite their best efforts, the kid still goes elsewhere, what else can they do? The final outcome is NOT in their hands. NOW, if you want to hammer them by saying they should have had a contingency plan for the DT position for example, and not having a fall back option when Bostwick and Keef bailed, that IS a fair criticism. Of course we dont know what the thinking there was. But I suspect that was an area where they blundered, and a fair critique. But to say they didnt do their jobs, because some kids screwed us and went elsewhere despite the fact that we did everything possible to recruit them, is simply wrong.

I have no problem with the staff's past recruiting, but this year its squarely on them. They were chumping at losing the NCAA mess finally. Apparently we got worst, because the product on the field is more important than all the other noise. Kids watch the games too, stop thinking they are stupid. They also have coaches, family and other influences in their ear. Golden messed up big time with the Penn St thing, he did, no doubt. These kids will look at him as a liar, i cant imagine that press conference giving anyone any confidence in what he is saying. It sure as **** didn't give me any. There was no conviction in anything he said. It sounded like a dude who got shut down by his dream girl trying to explain it to his buddies. We can ***** and whine about recruiting but everything that is the problem with recruiting comes right back to what happens on saturdays and in the post season. Gators started out recruiting us because of the Tebow era, they are falling right back down once they started losing. Its FSU's turn, and if Golden doesn't improve our on field performances to match them or show signs of improvement....recruiting will get worst and harder. All the other stuff about academics and admin not supporting football is a farce and a excuse.

Advertisement
Back